Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 12:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"First, they'll abandon the countryside and join the legions of displaced people in low income areas of the cities and attempt to eke out a living."

That's been happening already for decades. Almost half of Colombian municipalities lost population, according to the last National Census. Colombian population is heavily concentrating in large and medium sized cities. Decades ago the majority of the population was rural, now it's less than 20%.
Correct. But it's usually been due to La Violencia, las FARC, AUC, las Bacrim, etc. Soon we may also add climate change to the list. It's not quite here yet, and I hope it never comes, but it will probably turn into yet another factor driving that unstoppable migration to cities in Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 12:00 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
I hope the climate never gets that bad. I would like to someday move back home.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:19 AM

76 posts, read 56,520 times
The Guatemalan Highlands has probably one of the best weather in the world, probably one of the best in Latin America. Kind of reminds me of Californian weather, but more intense sun during the day (which I love) but not too hot and cooler nights (which I also love). Probably sucks if you have pale skin though.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 511,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
The Guatemalan Highlands has probably one of the best weather in the world, probably one of the best in Latin America. Kind of reminds me of Californian weather, but more intense sun during the day (which I love) but not too hot and cooler nights (which I also love). Probably sucks if you have pale skin though.
Why tens of millions of gringos pack Latin American beach resorts every year for sun and relaxation.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:13 AM

10,084 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Why tens of millions of gringos pack Latin American beach resorts every year for sun and relaxation.
The obssession many Americans/Canadians/Western Europeans have with the sun (and tanning*) is limited to a small percentage of the world’s population. Usually, people from the tropics don’t like the sun as much. Perhaps having too much yearround has something to do with that.

Notice how in American cities such as San Diego, California there are more palms (which in the shade producing department they fail miserably) than in Tijuana, Mexico. Tijuana is further south but just on the other side of the border. Miami, Fl or Orlando, Fl has many more palms (and less shade) than most of the big cities in the tropics in Latin America and generally elsewhere.

* Intentionally tanning which is different from getting a tan because often you work outside.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-02-2024 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-02-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The obssession many Americans/Canadians/Western Europeans have with the sun (and tanning*) is limited to a small percentage of the world’s population. Usually, people from the tropics don’t like the sun as much. Perhaps having too much yearround has something to do with that.

Notice how in American cities such as San Diego, California there are more palms (which in the shade producing department they fail miserably) than in Tijuana, Mexico. Tijuana is further south but just on the other side of the border. Miami, Fl or Orlando, Fl has many more palms (and less shade) than most of the big cities in the tropics in Latin America and generally elsewhere.

* Intentionally tanning which is different from getting a tan because often you work outside.
Well that's probably because people of Euro ancestry are a smaller % of the world's population. Gringos can mitigate the sun exposure the same way Latin Americans do, wear the right type of clothing, hats, umbrellas, natural shade etc. Gringos in the USA do all kinds of hard labor in the hot sun, construction, roofing, road work, landscaping, etc. It's nothing new.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Well that's probably because people of Euro ancestry are a smaller % of the world's population. Gringos can mitigate the sun exposure the same way Latin Americans do, wear the right type of clothing, hats, umbrellas, natural shade etc. Gringos in the USA do all kinds of hard labor in the hot sun, construction, roofing, road work, landscaping, etc. It's nothing new.
The sun is never as strong in most places in the USA as it’s in the tropical areas of the hemisphere, not even at the height of summer. The main reason for this is that pretty much everywhere in the USA except Hawaii is north of the tropics, even South Florida which is near but not in the tropics. The bulk of Americans don’t live in South Florida or in South Florida sun intensity. Case in point, in Dominican Republic I can’t be in the sun for too long because my skin literally begins to hurt, I have to find the shade yes or yes. In New York the sun never hurts, ever. Not even in July!

In places like Central Florida, where summers are very hot and very humid, there aren’t many people walking anywhere during much of the day. I would say 95% of the time people are either in a a/c home, a/c store, a/c car; whatever but must have a/c. The aun intensity there is definitely stronger than in most of the USA, but even in summer it isn’t as strong as in the tropics.

Many Americans are also not patient or willing to do things like wear long pants and/or long sleeves shirts when it’s hot and muggy. When they do, it isn’t something done everyday as they wear shorts for some days and long pants for other days and repeat. One thing noticeable in the tropics is that you don’t really see in public many local men wearing shorts ever, even at the height of summer. Most of the time those that do are either foreign tourists or people that have been living in the USA for a long time and are there for a quick visit.

To put it bluntly, working in the sun in the USA isn’t quite the same as in the tropics.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:50 AM

To put it bluntly, having lighter or paler skin has nothing to do with anything. Anyone can acclimate themselves to various climate conditions and protect themselves (be that hot sunny or freezing cold) with the appropriate clothing. The pale skin comment was a really racist low IQ comment.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
To put it bluntly, having lighter or paler skin has nothing to do with anything.
Exxcept I’m light and when younger was even lighter essentially white in color. Plus, my mother is pale turns red instead of tanning type. No one needs to tell me that being outside in the tropics is “the same” out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos
Anyone can acclimate themselves to various climate conditions and protect themselves (be that hot sunny or freezing cold) with the appropriate clothing. The pale skin comment was a really racist low IQ comment.
Yet, it isn’t the same. It’s similar to saying that a certwin comment is “really racist low IQ” comment. Things don’t become true simply because you say it.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Exxcept I’m light and when younger was even lighter essentially white in color. Plus, my mother is pale turns red instead of tanning type. No one needs to tell me that being outside in the tropics is “the same” out of it.

Yet, it isn’t the same. It’s similar to saying that a certwin comment is “really racist low IQ” comment. Things don’t become true simply because you say it.
To suggest that people with lighter or pale skin, who colonizied all of Latin America, would not like, don't like, can't handle handle tropical climates is absurd. There was no reason for that poster to bring in people "with paler skin". It was a stupid idiotic low IQ comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas