Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 07:18 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,976,787 times

Advertisements

I have a chronic problem: collagenous colitis.

My gastrologist recommended Budesonide and the watery diarrhea has subsided. Coffee, green vegetable smoothies, brown rice are triggers. I asked the gastrologist if taking probiotics would help and he said no.

I am currently winding down my dosage of Budesonide and will be off next week. (I've taking the medication at various dosages over the past two months.)

I was told if the diarrhea comes back strong after I've stopped the Budesonide to let him know. And he'll put me back on the medication.

To be honest I would prefer not taking Budesonide indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 10:00 PM

522 posts, read 342,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I wish I knew all this back in the day. I’m in my 50’s and have recently (over the last 3 years) finally gotten serious about quitting all sugar and processed carbs, and my health is infinitely better than it ever has been. I only eat protein, vegetables, nuts/seeds, yogurt, plenty of tea, and the occasional piece of fruit (I consider an apple or orange as my cheat snack). I feel amazing, and I think I’ve added many extra years to my life. Only time will tell if I’m right about that.

When I think back on the thousands of pizzas, tacos, burgers, pasta, mashed potatoes, ice cream, donuts, etc etc that I’ve eaten all those years, it’s really depressing.
Depressing? That's enjoyable to eat in moderation.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:20 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBeachIguana View Post
There have been studies on identical twins. Even though their genes are identical (minus mutations) their gut biomes vary by about 20%. The healthiest identical twin always have a larger diversity of gut flora.

Studies in mice showed that killing certain gut bacteria through antibiotics can either facilitate or slow weight loss depending on the flora in question. Also depression and certain cancers are linked.

Something like 75% of your immune system is in your gut. Your immune system does a delicate balancing act every time you eat to ensure it doesn't kill good bacteria but it does kill bad bacteria. Also good bacteria can become bad if they proliferate too much. Also, your immune system needs not to react to harmless antigens found in food.
All that researchg is bogus. Please define a "noraml flora." They can't, because, as you state, everybody is different, so the bell shaped curve is too wide to be meaningful.

Of course diet affects flora-- you don't find grazers in the middle of the forest and you don't find fish-eating eagles in the desert. The available food determines the species in the area (co-evolution) whether we're talkng about mega- or micro-fauna.

Yes, 70% of our lymphoid tissue lines the bowels-- that's to keep the bugs inside (they're really outside if you consider the topographical analysis-tube within a tube) where they belong. 3.5BILliON yrs of evolution. How do you improve on that? (Review the concept of "fitness peaks".)

Cheka:
Butyric acid-- that's what gives vomit it's characteristic smell. You telling me you can change things so your vomit smells worse eonough to treat RA? We all make plenty of butyric acid. That paper sites measurable differences in auto antibodies without explaing (in the abstract) how they administered it or how much was required to get those results, or whether or not the Ab levels correlated with actual disease activity (notoriously difficult to quantitate)...At best it suggests further studeis are necessary....hardly enough to cause us to adjust management pracgtices.

edit- you first citation didn't load for me until just now. It contradicts your second citation. The first says that butyric acid levels are low in RA pts, but the second says that mice with sterile bowels (ie- no butyric acid) don't devolop arthritis....???

With each bacterium producing 10s of thousands of chemiclss, why do they pick on butyric acid. Sinmple answer-- it's easy to measure. . It may correlate with disease activity, but it really measures bacterial activity, and the contradiction I pointed out means it doesn't have much if anything to do with dieseaae activity.

Does bacterial activity cause RA, or does RA alter bacterial activity?

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 02-20-2023 at 10:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2023, 06:21 AM

547 posts, read 326,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

My gastrologist recommended Budesonide and the watery diarrhea has subsided. Coffee, green vegetable smoothies, brown rice are triggers. I asked the gastrologist if taking probiotics would help and he said no.

I am currently winding down my dosage of Budesonide and will be off next week. (I've taking the medication at various dosages over the past two months.)

I was told if the diarrhea comes back strong after I've stopped the Budesonide to let him know. And he'll put me back on the medication.

bad bowel movements are a flashing red warning sign. advise going on leaky gut protocol and pre/probiotics. also need to eliminate/reduce the things that harm the gut (posted earlier in this thread)

bad bm means you are pre-something-really bad. take action!

Old 02-21-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

read a little bit on your diagnosis - https://journals.lww.com/ctg/fulltex...shares.11.aspx

https://journals.lww.com/ctg/fulltex...shares.11.aspx

i'm confident you can reverse it with the protocols in this thread. it's right in the sweet spot. and more proof that most chronic disease is from messed up gut game

Last edited by cheka; 02-21-2023 at 06:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
All that researchg is bogus. Please define a "noraml flora." They can't, because, as you state, everybody is different, so the bell shaped curve is too wide to be meaningful.

Of course diet affects flora-- you don't find grazers in the middle of the forest and you don't find fish-eating eagles in the desert. The available food determines the species in the area (co-evolution) whether we're talkng about mega- or micro-fauna.

Yes, 70% of our lymphoid tissue lines the bowels-- that's to keep the bugs inside (they're really outside if you consider the topographical analysis-tube within a tube) where they belong. 3.5BILliON yrs of evolution. How do you improve on that? (Review the concept of "fitness peaks".)

Cheka:
Butyric acid-- that's what gives vomit it's characteristic smell. You telling me you can change things so your vomit smells worse eonough to treat RA? We all make plenty of butyric acid. That paper sites measurable differences in auto antibodies without explaing (in the abstract) how they administered it or how much was required to get those results, or whether or not the Ab levels correlated with actual disease activity (notoriously difficult to quantitate)...At best it suggests further studeis are necessary....hardly enough to cause us to adjust management pracgtices.

edit- you first citation didn't load for me until just now. It contradicts your second citation. The first says that butyric acid levels are low in RA pts, but the second says that mice with sterile bowels (ie- no butyric acid) don't devolop arthritis....???

With each bacterium producing 10s of thousands of chemiclss, why do they pick on butyric acid. Sinmple answer-- it's easy to measure. . It may correlate with disease activity, but it really measures bacterial activity, and the contradiction I pointed out means it doesn't have much if anything to do with dieseaae activity.

Does bacterial activity cause RA, or does RA alter bacterial activity?

fight it all you want. my research is sound. i showed that RA patients are low in butyrate. i then showed that increasing butyrate helps reverse the problems.

also, low butyrate is a cause of MANY so-called automimmune conditions. do a little homework on that and i think you'll learn something life changing for you and yours.
increasing butyrate is imo, what made my RA disappear. it's also helped many of those in my life with various maladies, including another autoimmune, fibromyalgia.

here is another of many -- this one about IBD, probably the most common condition of messed up gut AND A PRECURSOR TO SOMETHING REALLY BAD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8002420/

IBD patients exhibit a lower abundance of butyrate-producing bacteria and butyrate content. Additionally, colonocyte butyrate oxidation is depressed in these subjects, lowering luminal anaerobiosis and facilitating the expansion of Enterobacteriaceae that contribute to inflammation.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:27 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
fight it all you want. my research is sound. i showed that RA patients are low in butyrate. i then showed that increasing butyrate helps reverse the problems....

also, low butyrate is a cause of MANY so-called automimmune conditions.
a) give us a refence for your published work....and while you're at it, please give us your operational definition of a normal flora.
b) If butyrate is a common cause to several auto-immune diseases, are multiple auto-immune diseases in one pt more common than the mere product of the respective rates for the isolated diseases? If not, then your contenetion hat the butyrate is causal must be false.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
a) give us a refence for your published work....and while you're at it, please give us your operational definition of a normal flora.
b) If butyrate is a common cause to several auto-immune diseases, are multiple auto-immune diseases in one pt more common than the mere product of the respective rates for the isolated diseases? If not, then your contenetion hat the butyrate is causal must be false.

i'm publishing my work here. this is my life's mission now - to help people with their health, esp curing the ignorance about the vital issue of gut health. frankly i'm shocked at the hostility on this board. hostility towards someone presenting new/exciting information that can help so many people.

please rephrase the rest of that mess so i can answer it

Old 02-21-2023, 08:29 AM

two things the agents of big medical say that should send you straight to working on your gut

1. we dont know what causes it
2. it's genetic

many MANY maladies fit this situation

Old 02-21-2023, 09:20 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,022,206 times
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...nerve%20system.

I totally believe in gut/brain connection. 95% of Serotonin is made in the gut. I have an IBD, so inflammation is present, which can cause all sorts of immune disorders. My depression is directly related to to my gut also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine