Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
ALL essential oils have healing properties. That is the nature of essential oils. Lavender is known -primarily- as a burn treatment; it is the oil that Maurice Gattefosse stuck his hand in when he burned it badly in his perfume lab. It is that healing property of lavender, that inspired him to create the word "Aromatherapy," from which all aromatherapy stems.

Which - is something you would know, if you had studied aromatherapy. If you are not familiar with lavender's property to heal burns, then you have not studied aromatherapy. You probably just read a few things from the Young Living website or maybe a few paragraphs from their sales brochures.

Young is a charlatan who has had business licenses stripped from him, has made claims about speaking at lectures that the sponsors of those lectures refute that he ever even attended, has claimed to have graduated schools that have no record of his attending, has actually caused the death of people by making unsafe stills, and who murdered his own first child by having his wife deliver in water and keeping the newborn underwater for an hour. This is fact. They have a huge farm in Utah, but it -cannot- be the size they claim, because the city that they claim the farm is in, is smaller than the claim of the size of the farm.

Most of the oils they produce, are second quality, even their ylang ylang, they don't mention which distilling it is. And it makes a HUGE difference in therapeutic quality which one it is. Their prices are ridiculous, and even the highest quality bulgarian rose otto is cheaper than their damask rose, which is a good quality, but inferior cultivar.
I don't even know how to address such arrogance. As I said before, I have studied aromatherapy. I took a course in it and in addition, have done reading and have used it.

I won't be discussing this subject with you as I do not wish to bang my head against the wall and prefer to interact with people who actually take what you say at face value.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Different type of essential oil, Felix. The "essential" you refer to, is something that provides an "essential," or "important" nutritional component. Fatty oils with omega-3 are essential oils, in that regard.

In this thread, however, an "essential oil" is the distilled oil of aromatic plants. They aren't fatty oils at all.

Thanks. Good to know.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
ALL essential oils have healing properties. That is the nature of essential oils. Lavender is known -primarily- as a burn treatment; it is the oil that Maurice Gattefosse stuck his hand in when he burned it badly in his perfume lab. It is that healing property of lavender, that inspired him to create the word "Aromatherapy," from which all aromatherapy stems.

Which - is something you would know, if you had studied aromatherapy. If you are not familiar with lavender's property to heal burns, then you have not studied aromatherapy. You probably just read a few things from the Young Living website or maybe a few paragraphs from their sales brochures.

Young is a charlatan who has had business licenses stripped from him, has made claims about speaking at lectures that the sponsors of those lectures refute that he ever even attended, has claimed to have graduated schools that have no record of his attending, has actually caused the death of people by making unsafe stills, and who murdered his own first child by having his wife deliver in water and keeping the newborn underwater for an hour. This is fact. They have a huge farm in Utah, but it -cannot- be the size they claim, because the city that they claim the farm is in, is smaller than the claim of the size of the farm.

Most of the oils they produce, are second quality, even their ylang ylang, they don't mention which distilling it is. And it makes a HUGE difference in therapeutic quality which one it is. Their prices are ridiculous, and even the highest quality bulgarian rose otto is cheaper than their damask rose, which is a good quality, but inferior cultivar.
I am sorry but lavender is not known primarily as a burn treatment. Just wanted to clear that up about your post.

In aromatherapy, lavender is used for treating depression, amenorrhea, burns, acne, rashes, arthritis, athlete's foot, carpal tunnel syndrome, psoriasis, vaginitis, insomnia, pain, palpitations, anxiety and nervousness.

As massage oil, lavender relaxes muscles and eases tension.

Lavender oil is used in diffusers, salves, bath products, and undiluted as a topical essential oil. Lavender oil should not be taken internally.

Lavender's Active Ingredients
Lavender oil contains the natural alcohol linalool; ketones; esters; and aldehydes.
Linalol provides lavender's antiseptic properties by effectively killing bacteria and viruses.

Linalol also helps healing skin irritations including burns, wounds, acne and sores.

The aldehydes in lavender are responsible for its distinct aroma and soothing properties.

The ketones in lavender effectively reduce pain and inflammation and help induce sleep.

The esters in lavender reduce soreness and swelling, prevent muscle spasms, fight fungal infections and prevent scarring.

The esters in lavender also help relieve tension, depression and hysteria, and they help regulate moods.

Read more at Suite101: Lavender's Healing Properties: A Natural Analgesic, Antidepressant, and Anti-inflammatory Agent Lavender's Healing Properties: A Natural Analgesic, Antidepressant, and Anti-inflammatory Agent

Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Yes, it is used for all of those things (burns are in the list you copied/pasted). But among aromatherapists, it is -known- primarily for burns. It is ALSO known for all those other things. But the term itself, Aromatherapy, was coined by a chemist who burned himself and used lavender oil to treat his burns, with remarkable success. This is the origins of the term Aromatherapy, and the story is legendary, which is why lavender is *known primarily* as a burn treatment.

Old 10-17-2023, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,599 times
I am going to start aroma therapy classes in Jan. I've been making a few items with essentials, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I wouldn't want to have a reaction or cause someone else to either.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:15 AM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Just wondering? I love essential oils. My favorites are lavender, geranium, clary sage and neroli. Lavender is so relaxing and neroli is very cheery and uplifting. I've read quite a few books on aromatherapy and have mixed my own "perfumes", fun!
I've found that peppermint oil really works when I have a headache. And I use tea tree oil for blemishes, works great.
my organic steam distilled lavender is used topically alot with NO dilution. also find my lavender spray keeps little flying critters away. So I use it everywhere: cracks, corners, under cabs, etc porch, entryway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine