Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCC View Post
Neuling: The Koi and Xai Xai (Bushmen)are the true OWNERS of the southern continent. The Blacks invaded from the north and slayed them like sheep.
Why?
Because the Bushman does not have it in him to be violent, aggressive or raise a hand against another human being. It is their custom, still practiced today. They are great people and I have lived with them on many occasions during my lifetime to study their habits, customs and traditions.
Yes, I know. It is sad, but can't be undone. The San are said to be the oldest, most original ethnic group still around. The Bantus just got down there gradually a few thousand years ago from what is now Cameroon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM

44 posts, read 116,232 times
DBCC, I agree.

Wherever you are in the world, you should always look over your shoulder.

Just some areas in the North I would stay away from: Kelvin, Marlboro, Lombardy East and West, Bloubosrand.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,574 times
Just stay where you are then.... And be SAFE! I live in USA and I have seen more pitpocketing in NY than I did in SA. So, the world is not safe. Hide yourselves in your secured homes then & stop complaining. My family & friends still live in SA and they are doing great... I hate negative people!!!

PS: How come all these people from around the world are in SA for the World Cup ?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
Well South Africa is probably the safest now than before the World cup. Yes there are an few incidents and those that were caught were harshly punished. It be intersesting how South Africa be after the World cup.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrr View Post
This isn't really true. When Whites got to South Africa the Blacks were still living tribal hunter-gatherer society. White South Africa brought European advancement, written language, etc.

Not only that under apartheid, the state made homelands for the Black ethnic groups and built them schools, hospitals, etc. Hell the biggest hospital on the continent was established in Soweto!

Whites were living in conditions considered "a developed nation" because they brought them there and built it up! That's why.
Well the first written language of Afrikaans was written by the muslim Malays that have their origins from Indonesia. Afrikaans is an first language of many whites and the Coloureds. Afrikaans which has borrowed heavily from Dutch, and some French, also has borrowings from Indonesian language and from several African languages.

Under Appartheid the government spent at least sevel to ten times more for an white child than for an black child. Many black areas were considered third world since there in many parts lack of running water and often in many cases people would march kilometers to fetch water, lack of toilets as well. In addition lack of paved roads, and adequate transport esp public transport facilities. The bulk of the white population in South Africa did never bother to go to the black townships or areas.

Yet the wealthiest whites were ones of British and Jewish origins. Most whites supported the Apartheid regime, however many British and many Jewish people and some Afrikaans white people were against apartheid.

Last edited by other99; 06-30-2010 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebo View Post
Just stay where you are then.... And be SAFE! I live in USA and I have seen more pitpocketing in NY than I did in SA. So, the world is not safe. Hide yourselves in your secured homes then & stop complaining. My family & friends still live in SA and they are doing great... I hate negative people!!!

PS: How come all these people from around the world are in SA for the World Cup ?
Wow, I lived in NYC for a few years, and never saw anyone pickpocketed. It's also rated something like the 130th most dangerous city in the U.S. - which means there are very few more safer city anywhere in the U.S. than NYC, except maybe Disneyland?

So, according to you, if South Africa is even SAFER than NYC...maybe it IS Disneyland?

(Sorry, I just hate when people try to say NYC is dangerous, because it isn't. But then again, you probably get equally riled with S.A....so we're probably somewhat on the same page actually).

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM

213 posts, read 674,637 times
I've been to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, and I would not, in a million years ever live in either place. Just awful places in my opinion. I went there in 1999 and 2009 and both times it was really bad, but it seemed even worse in the present day than when I went there a decade ago.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Just based on the statistics South Africa's cities have much more crime than even America's high crime central cities do, and more of that violence is random. In Watts, the Lower 9nth Ward, or West Philly you generally go to the crime (by engaging in the illegal drug trade) while in South Africa the crime comes to you regardless of your life style

I read an awful news story earlier this year about a Pakistani South African guy who was shot dozens of times by a machine gun during a car jacking outside Menlyn Mall, which is supposed to be in a really nice area of Pretoria.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Just based on the statistics South Africa's cities have much more crime than even America's high crime central cities do, and more of that violence is random. In Watts, the Lower 9nth Ward, or West Philly you generally go to the crime (by engaging in the illegal drug trade) while in South Africa the crime comes to you regardless of your life style

I read an awful news story earlier this year about a Pakistani South African guy who was shot dozens of times by a machine gun during a car jacking outside Menlyn Mall, which is supposed to be in a really nice area of Pretoria.
There are all sorts of awful stories every day in the papers all over the country.

Lately I have been reading a number of motorcycle trip reports of people who go to SA and ride around 5000-9000 kms. None of them really had any problems. I also had a friend get back recently from a trip and he did fine.

But there do seem to be a number of really bad areas especially in the NE part of the country as well as KZN and Durban.

I really, really want to go to SA and I like road trips and just driving around. But I guess my concern is stumbling into an area I don't need to be in and having problems.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
I've been to both Johannesburg and Pretoria, and I would not, in a million years ever live in either place. Just awful places in my opinion. I went there in 1999 and 2009 and both times it was really bad, but it seemed even worse in the present day than when I went there a decade ago.
In what way was it bad?

Just curious to know more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa