Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 09:25 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That could explain things such as this map.

https://www.joeydevilla.com/2018/10/...t-citizenship/

Jus Solis is a country granting citizenship to anyone born in its territory. Look at the difference between Africa and The Americas. Most of humanity lives in that part of the world (Africa, Asia, Europe, etc) and not in The Americas.
Last year there was a national commotion in Brazil because USA deported to Haiti brazilian born kids who were togheter their Haitian parents trying cross ilegaly to USA. Brazilian diplomacy complained formally to USA government.

Translate this page to english for you see that i am not lying

https://noticias.uol.com.br/ultimas-...-repatriar.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 09:31 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Haiti, Brazil and the USA are very far from Africa. Having millions of people of partial or full African descendants doesn't automatically makes a country a part of Africa (or Europe or Asia, etc).

Old 05-03-2022, 04:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
I have been in Senegal for put on running a machine that the company i have worked has exported to there.

The owner there is senegalese born of french mother and lebanese father but he doesn’t feel it self being african but a french/lebanese double citizen. It is a very strange mindset for someone born in the Americas (Brazil) like me.

He is very racist and treats his employees badly. For example, not even the bathroom at the factory is available for employees who have to defecate in the bush. It was my only experience.

I think why many foreigners make money and run business in Africa is because they have the capital, saved cash to starts the business, money that the average africans don't have. Also the prior business knowloge they brought from their countries.
That is sick. Why the hell Senegal does not punish people like that? It is no different to what Europeans did in so many cases during European rule in Africa.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
That is sick. Why the hell Senegal does not punish people like that? It is no different to what Europeans did in so many cases during European rule in Africa.
That's assuming that what has been described is accurate. For all we know there could had been bathrooms for employees at some other area of the factory and he didn't see them, just the bathrooms for managers and such.

There are many reasons for having separate bathrooms for managers/owners and employees that have nothing to do with racism. For example, if a place suffers water shortages and previously people were told to consume less water while washing their hands and such, this could not had been followed and often enough the place was out of its own stored water in the cisterns. Solution? Build a bathroom just for management with its own water cistern and suddenly there is enough water there while the other bathroom continues to run out of water. The same with toilet paper and other stuff. Its not pleasant to attend a number 2 emergency and when you are done, surprise! There is nothing to clean your rear end.

Another example is that employees, because they are more numerous than management, may not be as clean as a group (says nothing about individuals being super clean, but due to that issue many people avoid using the bathrooms at work or in stores and wait to go home to do their business; others, particularly women who use tissue paper on the toilet bowl seat and many do much to do their thing without touching the toilet; etc) and the bathroom used by employees would often require more cleaning. If the employees don't want to accept clean practices while using the bathroom, the only solution for management is to build its own bathroom where things remain clean much longer for obvious reasons. Some cleanliness is to avoid the nasty stuff that leaves you wondering how that end up on the floor or smeared on the toilet seat instead inside the toilet, but other cleanliness issues could be of throwing up before reaching the toilet or leaving a trail of "stuff" from the door to the toilet, find a puddle of pee on the ground or the smell of pee or a funky smell in the bathroom, etc. The place could start very clean everyday and then it goes downhill as the day continues.

Point is there are many reasons to have different bathrooms for management vs employees or employees vs customers (in the case of restaurants/stores). Many businesses catering customers don't even have bathrooms for customers anymore for the very same reason. Plus, then are people that use bathrooms to get high on some illegal drug. The list is endless.

You have to keep in mind that Evangellist is already assuming things such as the owner doesn't see himself as Senegalese due to racial reasons, when in fact it's normal for people that are not even descendants of any of the local groups to see themselves as something else and it has nothing to do with racism. For all we know, he could had spent much of his youth calling himself a Senegalese only to meet other Senegalese that told him he wasn't one of them or constantly confused him for a foreigner based on his looks which probably are very different from most Senegalese. It could be that he gets looks while in Senegal, but not as many or at all while in Lebanon or France (it's highly unlikely that a descendant of Lebanese/French parents would had never been to either France and/or Lebanon, especislky if he is from a successful merchant/business owner background). It takes a strong psychology to not be affected by that if it was the story of your life, but the key is that you would notice it because it's your life.

If someone is assuming that what is actually normal in this world is itself a manifestation of racism when mostly it isn't, would it surprise anyone if he "sees" what he assumes are other manifestations of racism too?

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-04-2022 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That's assuming that what has been described is accurate. For all we know there could had been bathrooms for employees at some other area of the factory and he didn't see them, just the bathrooms for managers and such.

There are many reasons for having separate bathrooms for managers/owners and employees that have nothing to do with racism. For example, if a place suffers water shortages and previously people were told to consume less water while washing their hands and such, this could not had been followed and often enough the place was out of its own stored water in the cisterns. Solution? Build a bathroom just for management with its own water cistern and suddenly there is enough water there while the other bathroom continues to run out of water. The same with toilet paper and other stuff. Its not pleasant to attend a number 2 emergency and when you are done, surprise! There is nothing to clean your rear end.

Another example is that employees, because they are more numerous than management, may not be as clean as a group (says nothing about individuals being super clean, but due to that issue many people avoid using the bathrooms at work or in stores and wait to go home to do their business; others, particularly women who use tissue paper on the toilet bowl seat and many do much to do their thing without touching the toilet; etc) and the bathroom used by employees would often require more cleaning. If the employees don't want to accept clean practices while using the bathroom, the only solution for management is to build its own bathroom where things remain clean much longer for obvious reasons. Some cleanliness is to avoid the nasty stuff that leaves you wondering how that end up on the floor or smeared on the toilet seat instead inside the toilet, but other cleanliness issues could be of throwing up before reaching the toilet or leaving a trail of "stuff" from the door to the toilet, find a puddle of pee on the ground or the smell of pee or a funky smell in the bathroom, etc. The place could start very clean everyday and then it goes downhill as the day continues.

Point is there are many reasons to have different bathrooms for management vs employees or employees vs customers (in the case of restaurants/stores). Many businesses catering customers don't even have bathrooms for customers anymore for the very same reason. Plus, then are people that use bathrooms to get high on some illegal drug. The list is endless.

You have to keep in mind that Evangellist is already assuming things such as the owner doesn't see himself as Senegalese due to racial reasons, when in fact it's normal for people that are not even descendants of any of the local groups to see themselves as something else and it has nothing to do with racism. For all we know, he could had spent much of his youth calling himself a Senegalese only to meet other Senegalese that told him he wasn't one of them or constantly confused him for a foreigner based on his looks which probably are very different from most Senegalese. It could be that he gets looks while in Senegal, but not as many or at all while in Lebanon or France (it's highly unlikely that a descendant of Lebanese/French parents would had never been to either France and/or Lebanon, especislky if he is from a successful merchant/business owner background). It takes a strong psychology to not be affected by that if it was the story of your life, but the key is that you would notice it because it's your life.

If someone is assuming that what is actually normal in this world is itself a manifestation of racism when mostly it isn't, would it surprise anyone if he "sees" what he assumes are other manifestations of racism too?
Well employers have a duty of care for the people they hire. Well I am sure if someone establishes a business that employs a number of people, at least they have money and they can at least invest in a toilet for their employees. It won't break the bank. Even if one gets a portable toilet, with facilities to wash one hands. AFter all personal hygine is very important.

Those who make do without toilets continue to pollute water sources and jeopardise public health and safety for millions worldwide, contributing to malnutrition and childhood stunting, impairing 161 million children both physically and mentally every year.

“Until everyone has access to adequate sanitation facilities the quality of water supplies will be undermined and too many people will continue to die from waterborne and water-related diseases,” said the WHO’s public health department director, Dr Maria Neira.https://www.theguardian.com/society/...isation-report

PLus also this:
According to the World Bank[1], 24.1% of Senegal’s rural population were practicing open defecation in 2017. Open defecation is incredibly dangerous as contact with human waste can cause diseases such as cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, polio, diarrhea and worm infestation. For children it is especially hazardous with diarrhea being the second largest cause of under-five mortality globally. Diarrheal diseases are also associated with a higher risk of stunting and take a huge toll on society.
https://www.unicef.org/senegal/en/st...cation-senegal

So there is no justification for employers not to provide toilet facilities to their employees especially if they employees resort to defecate in public and can cause a major health hazard to the employers work place and the employer him/herself.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Well employers have a duty of care for the people they hire. Well I am sure if someone establishes a business that employs a number of people, at least they have money and they can at least invest in a toilet for their employees. It won't break the bank. Even if one gets a portable toilet, with facilities to wash one hands. AFter all personal hygine is very important.
Have you ever been to a portable toilet in an amusement fair in the USA? A long time ago I went to one because when you have to go, you have to go. Well, I refuse to go in another one. Disgusting is an understatement of what I witnessed (and smelled). It was a miracle I didn't throw up. Whatever it is, it can wait until we get home or the hotel and if with the runs, there is no point to go anywhere.

That's suppose be in a rich country where cleanliness is a national passion. Now imagine how it is in most parts of the world where hygene standards tend to be lower and in some places considerably lower.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to a portable toilet in an amusement fair in the USA? A long time ago I went to one because when you have to go, you have to go. Well, I refuse to go in another one. Disgusting is an understatement of what I witnessed (and smelled). It was a miracle I didn't throw up. Whatever it is, it can wait until we get home or the hotel and if with the runs, there is no point to go anywhere.

That's suppose be in a rich country where cleanliness is a national passion. Now imagine how it is in most parts of the world where hygene standards tend to be lower and in some places considerably lower.
I have not been to the USA, but I have been to developing countries. While I was in developing countries finding clean and decent toilets are really hard to find outside the resorts, and those types of toilets can breeding ground of cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, polio, diarrhea and worm infestation. I would only use toilets in Malls, upmarket restaurants and upmarket places of accommodation.

I have used portable toilets before and will only use them for the last resort. There are plenty here in Australia. Yes they can be very dirty. If I need to go to the toilet I always do my best to avoid them.

Yet people with plenty of money that invest in a business such as restaurant, hotel, an office in a developing country should at least invest in a modern toilet system.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:27 AM

1,216 posts, read 507,315 times
Quote:
Well it is informative post. However very little is discussed in the Western World on how Lebanese control a sizable percentage of the income in some regions of Africa. The West is much more focused on the Europeans in South Africa and their control of the wealth there. A lot of posters here on the African forum and the politics forum tend to the plot of the White people there, both good and bad.

However I am wondering if the Lebanese in Africa live largely segregated lives like the Europeans of South Africa and Namibia and Zimbabwe? Plus do the Lebanese in Africa still speak Arabic or French as their first language in Africa? Does racism exist today between Lebanese and Blacks in West Africa? Is there any posters here of Lebanese heritage living in Africa, or any Africans who have had experience with them? I hear there is 4.5 million Lebanese people in Africa and that is similar to the Europeans numbers in Africa.
Lebanese have been in Africa for a very long time time. They ran the retail operations in Liberia back in the day. Not sure about after that revolution? They were too successful in Haiti around the early 1900's so they got kicked out of there. My guess is that they are successful in Mexico and Brazil as well. They, E. Asians, S. Asians (Indians), Jews have been successful retailers business owners all over the place. Idi Amin kicked out all of the Indians from Angola back in 72'. too successful.

Igbos in Nigeria were targeted for execution because they were successful traders and business owners.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:34 AM

1,216 posts, read 507,315 times
Quote:
That is exactly the attitude that tribal leaders use to get elected and gain power and then destroy the people who have unique skills running a business/industry and otherwise bring products to market that others can't.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Lebanese have been in Africa for a very long time time. They ran the retail operations in Liberia back in the day. Not sure about after that revolution? They were too successful in Haiti around the early 1900's so they got kicked out of there. My guess is that they are successful in Mexico and Brazil as well. They, E. Asians, S. Asians (Indians), Jews have been successful retailers business owners all over the place. Idi Amin kicked out all of the Indians from Angola back in 72'. too successful.

Igbos in Nigeria were targeted for execution because they were successful traders and business owners.
Most Middle Easterners and of that origin in Haiti are Syrians, though there is a Lebanese presence as they literally went everywhere when Lebanon was part of the Ottoman Empire. In neighboring DR the Lebanese are the majority of the Middle Easterners, I say 85% to 90%. Those of Syrian origin for the most part were or are Haitians and they form almost all of the Syrian origin people in the DR. As you said, there was a time when anti-Syrian sentiment was strong in Haiti, particularly from its government, and much of them were forced to leave Haiti. A good chunk simply went next door and settled in the DR , others went to other countries, missed Haiti too much, but since they couldn't go back to Haiti they decided to settle in the DR. To this day Dominicans of Syrian descent are able to understand and even speak Haitian Kreyol and/or French in addition to Spanish and many English as well, at least some of Arabic too. Lebanese and Palestinian, who make up the bulk of the Middle Easterners in the DR don't speak and/or understand the languages native to Haiti. As for why, well history explains it everything. I think if Haiti was in a better social and economic position (because the snti-Syrian sentiment has died down a lot for a long time), a good chunk of them would move back to Haiti. Just meet one and you will see what I mean, especially if the topic of discussion is Haiti. That place is truly their country despite everything.

Most importantly, despite the Middle Eastern presence in Haiti has been reduced mostly by belligerent actions from the Haitian government, there still is a small Middle Eastern presence left. If you spend enough time you'll bump into many of them in places like Petionville (in stores, supermarket, restaurants, etc). In many markets you will see a very light skin person just standing there next to the merchandise basically standing out from everybody else due to looks, usually those people are of Middle Eastern descent and they are either the owners or managers of that small business.

But like I said in another post, Haiti is very far from Africa and this thread is about the Lebanese in Africa.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-07-2022 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa