Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 06:48 PM

93,763 posts, read 124,493,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess this can go here…

WALSH RELEASES SYRACUSE HOUSING STRATEGY THAT CALLS FOR “DIFFICULT AND DISRUPTIVE CHOICES”: https://www.cnybj.com/walsh-releases...sing-strategy/

“Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh on Wednesday released the Syracuse Housing Strategy, which his office describes as a “multi-year framework for improving housing conditions in the City of Syracuse.”

The strategy calls for “additive new work that builds on major initiatives” currently underway. They include the Resurgent Neighborhoods Initiative, the East Adams neighborhood redevelopment, and the community grid vision plan, Walsh’s office said. It also includes programs like the Syracuse Land Bank and downtown-revitalization efforts.

Walsh’s office cites the strategy as indicating “almost 100% of the old way of doing community development will have to be shelved. Resistance to such change is to be expected. Without such change, Syracuse’s housing markets will not begin to truly recover nor get to a point where they are able to withstand the new and different demographic and other challenges headed Syracuse’s way.”

The 70-page plan recommends focusing the city’s housing resources on both stabilizing “distressed” neighborhoods to prevent further decline and investing in “middle” neighborhoods to leverage current and potential market demand for quality housing.

The Syracuse Housing Strategy proposes using a “cluster approach” to implement strategies in groupings of 30-50 contiguous city blocks with similar market conditions and neighborhood identities.

“The Syracuse Housing Strategy is a smart framework to accomplish the massive challenge of revitalizing the city’s housing stock. It presents interventions that will breathe new life into city neighborhoods,” Walsh contended in the announcement. “The strategy also recognizes we are doing a lot of things right already and encourages continued commitment to those neighborhood initiatives. It challenges us, though, to make difficult and disruptive choices to use the limited resources we have available in ways that will make more Syracuse neighborhoods attractive for new residents and private investment.”

The Syracuse Housing Strategy was developed based on significant community and stakeholder input in conjunction with the czb, a planning firm based in Bath, Maine.

It is available online at www.syracusehousingstudy.com.

The City’s department of neighborhood and business development will hold a community open house regarding the strategy on April 30 from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Northeast Community Center at 716 Hawley Ave. in Syracuse.”
A related segment...

Syracuse initiates $25M project for middle-class housing, seeks to work with the community: https://cnycentral.com/news/local/sy...the-community#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 06:15 AM

3,532 posts, read 9,443,355 times
Sounds like the Mayor of Syracuse gets it.

I personally would never live in the City of Syracuse because it is too depressing with the poor architecture from the last 60 years, old ugly houses in disrepair, litter, overall blight, overgrown vegetation, junkyards, bordered up buildings, homeless people, and higher crime rates. If I had a couple billion dollars of play money I'd build up the city in a way to make it attractive enough so I'd be willing to live there. If no drastic changes occur in the way the city looks, or feels to make it less depressing.... people like me will choose to live elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Sounds like the Mayor of Syracuse gets it.

I personally would never live in the City of Syracuse because it is too depressing with the poor architecture from the last 60 years, old ugly houses in disrepair, litter, overall blight, overgrown vegetation, junkyards, bordered up buildings, homeless people, and higher crime rates. If I had a couple billion dollars of play money I'd build up the city in a way to make it attractive enough so I'd be willing to live there. If no drastic changes occur in the way the city looks, or feels to make it less depressing.... people like me will choose to live elsewhere.
Again, the city varies, just like most American cities and everyone does not want to live in Clay or the suburbs. There is plenty of nice architecture across the city as well. Do you go into the city much at all?

The city needed to do this years ago and if COR didn't have their issues, developments such as the Inner Harbor and Loguen Crossing just east of Downtown should have been in place already. They would provide housing that isn't just for or marketed to college students, like a lot of the newer housing in recent years have been.

Also, the city and area really needs to start considering more housing diversity in terms of ownership. Meaning, more condo, townhome, rowhome, co-op ownership versus just single family homes, as not everyone that wants to own and wants to have to deal with the extra maintenance costs. This should especially be considered given the 4 season weather in the area.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:14 AM

Salina breaks ground on $7 million community center on historic L. Frank Baum site: https://www.cnycentral.com/news/loca...baum-nick-paro

Crowne Plaza moves one step closer to becoming apartment building: https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...ment-building/
The flipside of this change, Visit Syracuse predicts millions in losses without Crowne Plaza: https://www.cnycentral.com/news/loca...-crowne-plaza#

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-08-2024 at 11:27 AM..

Old Today, 09:26 AM

The Syracuse Housing Strategy Project set to begin work in 2025 in Tipp Hill(an outer West Side neighborhood that is historically Irish), Salt Springs(East Side, a predominantly black but diverse working/middle class neighborhood near LeMoyne College): https://cnycentral.com/news/local/th...-salt-springs#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area