Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 2,613 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

My family and I are considering purchasing our dream home in the Sedgwick Farms neighborhood of Syracuse, NY. The neighborhood looks amazing, but we are concerned about the diversity and schools. We're a young African American (upper-middle class) couple with children from NYC and must consider our safety/diversity. If you could please provide us with some insight on this neighborhood, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 05:10 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Syracuse is about 30-35% black(depending on who you include and is more on par with BK and BX in percentage) and the schools zoned for that neighborhood are roughly in the 30-50% black range, give or take. More middle class black families are moving to that area and I believe a current black city court judge originally from Albany lives in the neighborhood, but there are more diverse middle class areas of the city such as Strathmore(especially its northern portion) in the SW corner of the city, the predominantly black Salt Springs neighborhood on the East Side with the portion east of Seeley Road being more middle class than west of it, the Meadowbrook/Scottholm/University area also on the East Side, the South Valley(south of Seneca Turnpike), parts of Eastwood just east of Sedgwick(around Shotwell Park) with some other parts having decent/visible amounts of Black residents.

Sedgwick is nice and Salem Hyde Elementary is one of the better public elementary schools in the SCSD. After that can be at your discretion in terms of Lincoln Middle School and Henninger High(biggest HS in the city)but many go with them and do fine(though Lincoln has had issues recently). However, you also have the K-12th grade Syracuse Academy of Science system(a charter school with a predominantly black student population that gets high grad rates on the West Side), there’s ITC(Institute of Technology at Central, a magnet school that is more Black, but diverse in student makeup and also with good grad rates) and some in that area go with Bishop Grimes(a 7th-12th grade Catholic school in East Syracuse that is about 18% Black) or Christian Brothers Academy(another 7th-12th grade school in DeWitt, known for its very good Football program and is about 10% Black). There’s also Living Word Academy(a Pre K-12th grade Christian school also in DeWitt attached to a church of the same name and is known for its Volleyball programs) nearby. There are other schools like Bishop Ludden(another 7th-12th grade Catholic school in Geddes just west of the city, has the IB program, a niece of mine recently graduated from there), OnTech Charter(West Side) and Faith Heritage(a Pre K-12th grade Christian school in the Valley neighborhood on the southern end of the city). There’s also the Pre K-12th grade independent private school Manlius Pebble Hill also in DeWitt.

You also have Say Yes to Education attached with the SCSD, which is a last step scholarship program and you only have to attend from grades 9-12. This includes Syracuse Academy of Science and ITC, along with Henninger, Nottingham(East Side, plenty of family have graduated from there and a grandmother lived down the street), Corcoran(South Side in the Strathmore neighborhood, has the IB program, a nephew of mine graduated from there recently) and PSLA at Fowler(West Side).

With all of this said, I’d say go for it, as it is a very nice neighborhood and is walkable to Eastwood, has good bus coverage on James Street to get Downtown. It is a historic neighborhood with its own Tennis Club too: https://www.sedgwicktennis.net/

More info: https://www.sedgwickfarm.org/

Any other questions just ask…

Oh also, Strathmore and Scottholm have a similar old money feel.

There are also groups like Jack and Jill: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...00066966093434

and the Links: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...00064316094024

There are also plenty of Black run groups in terms of community involvement like these organizations that seek to make a difference for the better: https://www.streetsrecoveryoutreach.org/

https://www.riseabovepovertysyr.org/

https://gly.foundation/contact/

https://www.streetaddictioninc.org/

https://marynelsonyouthcenter.com/

https://www.doula4aqueen.com/about

I’d also suggest checking these shows out as well, which interview movers and shakers in the local black community and in general: https://inspirationforthenation.com/

https://www.wcny.org/behindthewoman/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-28-2024 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-28-2024, 05:19 PM

This was very informative. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:21 PM

43 posts, read 14,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Alexander View Post
Good Evening,

My family and I are considering purchasing our dream home in the Sedgwick Farms neighborhood of Syracuse, NY. The neighborhood looks amazing, but we are concerned about the diversity and schools. We're a young African American (upper-middle class) couple with children from NYC and must consider our safety/diversity. If you could please provide us with some insight on this neighborhood, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Sedgwick has some beautiful homes, and I hate to discourage you, but I would not recommend it for a family. When I first moved back a few years ago, I had my bike stolen, in Sedgwick. I have also had my car broken into 2 times, with these people taking money out of my car. I lived in that area for about two years, as a bad ass single man (I am tall and tough, so I didn't care about living there).

Fayetteville Manlius is the place to raise a family. Or, Jamesville-Dewitt.

I am not sure why you need "diversity", because the people in Fayetteville are very nice, and we don't care about race, etc. We are a highly educated population, and are respectful to all races.

I would say that if you are still concerned about "diversity", then I would recommend Liverpool. The demographics there are probably better suited for your needs. Its a great area, with a top notch park.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:28 PM

Thank you for your response. Our realtor recommended the Sedgwick Farm neighborhood, as a highly reputable community. I will definitely look into the neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:38 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY4Life View Post
Sedgwick has some beautiful homes, and I hate to discourage you, but I would not recommend it for a family. When I first moved back a few years ago, I had my bike stolen, in Sedgwick. I have also had my car broken into 2 times, with these people taking money out of my car. I lived in that area for about two years, as a bad ass single man (I am tall and tough, so I didn't care about living there).

Fayetteville Manlius is the place to raise a family. Or, Jamesville-Dewitt.

I am not sure why you need "diversity", because the people in Fayetteville are very nice, and we don't care about race, etc. We are a highly educated population, and are respectful to all races.

I would say that if you are still concerned about "diversity", then I would recommend Liverpool. The demographics there are probably better suited for your needs. Its a great area, with a top notch park.
Where in Sedgwick?

Also, in this case they likely want an area with a decent black population. If they don’t mind suburbs, I’d say to look in J-D around Thompson Road or around Tecumseh Road; Liverpool SD in/around Bayberry in the town of Clay, around Galeville/Sunflower Park in the town of Salina and even the village; North Syracuse SD in the portions of the town of Clay around Bear Road and Caughdenoy Road/Lawton Road, parts of Salina and the village; Onondaga Central in the portion west of OCC/Tabitha Creek on Onondaga Hill; Westhill in the Onondaga Hill/town of Onondaga portion; East Syracuse-Minoa in the Franklin Park/Park Hill/Parkwood area of DeWitt and the Fremont area of Manlius; Baldwinsville in the Kimbrook area of Clay and Radisson in Lysander; West Genesee SD in the portions in the town of Onondaga and in/around Fairmount in the town of Camillus; F-M in around the village of Manlius; among maybe a few other areas. With this said, some of these areas are just areas of those districts with more than others. Historically, Black families are at higher levels in the Jamesville-DeWitt, Liverpool, North Syracuse and Onondaga Central SDs in terms of the suburbs.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Alexander View Post
Thank you for your response. Our realtor recommended the Sedgwick Farm neighborhood, as a highly reputable community. I will definitely look into the neighborhoods you mentioned.
You are welcome.

I just looked up Liverpool, and it is not very diverse. Sorry about that.

East Syracuse is a good spot, although, I am not sure how diverse that is. Sedgwick is nice, and close to the city. One can argue that is the best location, because you can get to any part of the city in less than ten minutes, but I just don't like some of the people that walk through there. There are looking for trouble. You are not going to run into that in JD or FM.

When it comes to Syracuse, just remember that "East is Best", and that does NOT include Eastwood (an area I would NOT recommend).

Old 03-28-2024, 05:41 PM

Another spot for you to consider is Meadowbrook. There is not much crime. Closer to the city. And tons of home value, where you get lots of "bang for your buck".

Old 03-28-2024, 05:48 PM

What do you mean about people looking for trouble? Will my family be in danger? In the previous thread, there was theft. We're from NYC, so we're used to pockets of crime. But we're moving to Syracuse for a better quality of life, and access to shops/culture/museums.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in Sedgwick?

Also, in this case they likely want an area with a decent black population. If they don’t mind suburbs, I’d say to look in J-D around Thompson Road or around Tecumseh Road; Liverpool SD in/around Bayberry in the town of Clay, around Galeville/Sunflower Park in the town of Salina and even the village; North Syracuse SD in the portions of the town of Clay around Bear Road and Caughdenoy Road/Lawton Road, parts of Salina and the village; Onondaga Central in the portion west of OCC/Tabitha Creek on Onondaga Hill; Westhill in the Onondaga Hill/town of Onondaga portion; East Syracuse-Minoa in the Franklin Park/Park Hill/Parkwood area of DeWitt and the Fremont area of Manlius; Baldwinsville in the Kimbrook area of Clay and Radisson in Lysander; West Genesee SD in the portions in the town of Onondaga and in/around Fairmount in the town of Camillus; F-M in around the village of Manlius; among maybe a few other areas. With this said, some of these areas are just areas of those districts with more than others. Historically, Black families are at higher levels in the Jamesville-DeWitt, Liverpool, North Syracuse and Onondaga Central SDs in terms of the suburbs.
I used to live on Brattle Rd/Sedgwick Drive block.

Either way, its a great move to raise a family, in CNY because of the stability and quality of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area