Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 10:11 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Today

There local hotels aren't fenced.

There aren't enough local hotel rooms for thousands of migrants.

There isn't an organized or centralized place for migrants to be bused in and housed with staff nearby to guard or process them.

My idea of a Migrant Processing Center solves those issues.
That is assuming many migrants come to the area. As of now, that isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 04:15 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
In tourist areas around Onondaga County where there is overgrown brush I'd seek funding to have manicured gardens like this

https://earth.app.goo.gl/CmR4ju

https://earth.app.goo.gl/X519Dm

Old 09-05-2023, 11:33 AM

Something that just came to mind is that I wonder is if it is possible to make Onondaga Community College a 4 year institution, similar to what happened with SUNY Morrisville, which is also in the metro area? I say that because it is one of only a couple of bigger areas in the state without a 4 year SUNY institution in the immediate area(I believe that the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area is the other one that comes to mind). I think that would also help to raise the educational attainment of certain communities in the city/area and to help retain natives from leaving the area. Some stay, but I think having a state institution would help retain more people and make it easier for locals to obtain a Bachelor's degree without having to look at high cost private institutions like SU and Le Moyne and it would actually make the institutions compete for students. I've mentioned something like this years ago on here, but after looking at a list showing black educational attainment for the top 100 metro areas in the country, I think this is something that the area needs to really consider and for the community as a whole.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:22 PM

That would be great to have a large four year SUNY college within easy driving or walking distance to the City of Syracuse. SUNY OCC should become New York State University just like Ohio State University or Michigan State University. The Central State University located in the center of the state is always the main one for the state..with great sports teams etc.

Buffalo, NY is lucky in this regard. SUNY Buffalo is huge with almost 33,000 students. Buffalo State has about 7,000 students. Three State college/University campuses located in the most populated areas of metropolitan area of Buffalo.

Old 09-05-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That would be great to have a large four year SUNY college within easy driving or walking distance to the City of Syracuse. SUNY OCC should become New York State University just like Ohio State University or Michigan State University.

Buffalo, NY is lucky in this regard. SUNY Buffalo is huge with almost 33,000 students. Buffalo State has about 7,000 students. Three State college/University campuses located in the most populated areas of metropolitan area of Buffalo.
To be honest, it doesn't even have to be that big either. Even if it is on par with say Oswego State or Cortland State, I think it would make a difference and may be popular enough to get to that level.

I believe there was a plan years ago to build an extension of OCC in the Inner harbor when COR was going to build that area up, but something fell through. This is what I am referring to, ESF, OCC plan water research center at Syracuse's Inner Harbor: https://www.syracuse.com/news/2014/0...er_harbor.html

https://www.wrvo.org/education/2014-...s-inner-harbor

That research center could serve as the start of a completely new SUNY research institution, that incorporates programs both institutions have currently and more or an extension of both institutions at the same location.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:02 PM

That would be awesome. SUNY Syracuse or New York State University North campus in the Inner Harbor and South campus on Onondaga Hill. Total Enrollment around 12,000. Employment around 4,000. Within walking distance to the Northside and downtown. New student apartments in the Inner Harbor area building up the vibrancy of the neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That would be awesome. SUNY Syracuse or New York State University North campus in the Inner Harbor and South campus on Onondaga Hill. Total Enrollment around 12,000. Employment around 4,000. Within walking distance to the Northside and downtown. New student apartments in the Inner Harbor area building up the vibrancy of the neighborhood.

Exactly and you can even built athletic facilities that could be used for AAU Basketball Tournaments, a Soccer program or pro team/sectional/regional Soccer and even Football games. You could even tie it in with the Aquarium with say an Ocean/Earth Sciences or a similar type of program. Plus, you would be right by Destiny USA and could include a range of housing and lodging for visitors. So, a lot of things could take things to another level by just implementing previous plans like the research/education campus idea.

This doesn't even include the potential for more development in the Franklin Square area, which still has buildings/land that could be developed.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:33 AM

Grow the YIMBY movement in the Syracuse area

https://www.businessinsider.com/yimb...orhoods-2023-9

Old 09-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Grow the YIMBY movement in the Syracuse area

https://www.businessinsider.com/yimb...orhoods-2023-9
YIMBY is good if there is a greater good mentality behind it. Given the known concentrated poverty in parts of the city to where there are high rankings in that regard, I think that is why I think that has to be a factor when the opportunity to make a shift in that regard could be done. That is why with Micron being located in Clay, there should be a big consideration for public transportation connects from the city. A range of housing has to be considered, given the lead issue that has been popping up with the older housing in the city. Keep in mind, you could literally change the Upstate/"Rust Belt" city/older parts of cities and the same concerns apply.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:10 PM

Good inspiration for Syracuse leadership and developers.

The Bankers Hill neighborhood in Metropolitan San Diego, CA is probably the best high vibe beautiful walkable neighborhood I've seen in the US researching on Google Earth so far.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/WQiwNm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area