Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,624,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
If he can find the money for a tunnel or sub-grade easement, I will fly up there an vote for him next time around (I may not be eligible to vote in NYS, but they do it all the time in Chicago..so what the hell..lol )

Me to. I would be Maffei's biggest supporter if he could accomplish something like this. As they say, vote early and vote often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,870,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Me to. I would be Maffei's biggest supporter if he could accomplish something like this. As they say, vote early and vote often!
I am not going to hold my breath though, maybe Senator Schumer will step in and save the day!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Here's another opinion in regards to this topic: I-81 would be a 'boulevard of broken dreams' without fixing Upstate's basic problems | syracuse.com

Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The contributor makes some valid points, particularly taxes and regulations. Upstate New York does have problems that Syracuse is subjected to through no fault of its own, I would add unfunded mandates like Medicaid contributions. However, I think the expansion plans local colleges and universities on the university hill into downtown will invite new residential and commercial development (particularly retail) opportunities.

Syracuse is very fortunate to have such economic engines contiguous to its downtown that most cities would envy. Ithaca is a good example (though on a smaller scale) of a community that has taken advantage of its proximity to Cornell and Ithaca College which has contributed to its growing economy and population, despite poor economic policy out of Albany.

That said, the boulevard rendering is quite impressive!

Last edited by urbanplanner; 06-05-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM

City leaders to hold public hearing on Interstate 81 viaduct project - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Syracuse Common Council will hold a public hearing Monday to get feedback on the Interstate 81 viaduct project. Not much notice, but the public hearing is scheduled for 4 p.m. inside Common Council Chambers. It will be interesting to see where the City position will land, I am assuming a boulevard approach (which is counter to the County Legislature's position).

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,454,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Upstate will never learn a lesson The Simpsons crystallized so well 20 years ago:

It's always, always the latest big project that will fix everything. This editorial completely gets it.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Upstate will never learn a lesson The Simpsons crystallized so well 20 years ago:

It's always, always the latest big project that will fix everything. This editorial completely gets it.
I don't know if this project is to "fix everything" for the area or that people actually think that. I think it is a matter of weighing the pros and cons of the project itself. One thing isn't going to fix anything and the people of Upstate NY have to think about what they want when it comes to other issues that effect its economy, which is basically the thing people point to in terms of its "problems". How are taxes going to decrease if the same structures in terms government are in place? They aren't unless an adjustment of the structure occurs and I've mentioned options on past posts, but I don't know if people are as willing to give some things up. So, in essence, the people have a responsibility in this as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Here's an interesting take from Cayuga County about this project: Sennett joins towns against I-81 changes

Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 AM

Some ideas in regards to I-81: We could learn some I-81 lessons from projects in Arizona and Michigan: Your letters | syracuse.com

Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,134 times
It occurred to me recently that there's actually a fairly similar version (but much older) of the boulevard conceptual idea actually in place, and actually along I-81: the Central Scranton Expressway. It's not a boulevard in the middle (rather a series of roadways) but connected to the main (bypassing downtown) spur actually designated I-81.

The topography is very different and this would work out much more straightforwardly IMO, but the boulevard concept as presented in the last public meeting hits a lot of that. Highway to near downtown at both ends and streets through.

Ignore the square on the attached image, but the two outlines in blue are the two routes - 81 to the east, the expressway to the west.
Attached Thumbnails
Changes to I-81 Ramping Up-screen-shot-2013-07-08-1.09.11  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area