Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,870,037 times

Advertisements

Onondaga County Legislature shot from the hip in dismissing Interstate 81 alternative | syracuse.com

I just saw this article regarding Onondaga County legislators hastily adopting a resolution declaring their unanimous opposition to the concept of turning I-81 into a boulevard through downtown Syracuse. The resolution counts all the ways Interstate 81 is vital to Central New York: as a conduit to hospitals, work, sporting events and shopping; an alternative to stop-and-go city traffic; an economic lifeline to the suburbs.

Those are valid concerns, but this is a short-sighted decision. There would be no need for a resolution like this if the OCL took the courageous position and lobbied for a tunnel that addresses all concerns (granted, cost would be an issue), keeps I-81 where it is and allows for a blvd. The long-term economic implications for the urban core would be enormous. Am I to assume that they want to maintain the status quo, or build some kind of replacement viaduct with bells and whistles like the Bunker Hill bridge concept in Boston that we talked about in earlier posts?

Last edited by urbanplanner; 05-13-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Onondaga County Legislature shot from the hip in dismissing Interstate 81 alternative | syracuse.com

I just saw this article regarding Onondaga County legislators hastily adopting a resolution declaring their unanimous opposition to the concept of turning I-81 into a boulevard through downtown Syracuse. The resolution counts all the ways Interstate 81 is vital to Central New York: as a conduit to hospitals, work, sporting events and shopping; an alternative to stop-and-go city traffic; an economic lifeline to the suburbs.

Those are valid concerns, but this is a short-sighted decision. There would be no need for a resolution like this if the OCL took the courageous position and lobbied for a tunnel that addresses all concerns (granted, cost would be an issue), keeps I-81 where it is and allows for a blvd. The long-term economic implications for the urban core would be enormous. Am I to assume that they want to maintain the status quo, or build some kind of replacement viaduct with bells and whistles like the Bunker Hill bridge concept in Boston that we talked about in earlier posts?
When push comes to shove, the Onondaga County legislature can pretty much always be counted on to shoot from the hip and call it wrong when it comes to anything planning related. Not a surprise, and very glad the P-S editorial board called them on it. There was no reason, whatsoever, for any such resolution on either side of the issue, at this stage.

From the past public meetings (there's another one next week, which I'll be attending of course), they already have studied the traffic flows and the emergency care traffic - ambulances already avoid using 81 from the north to get to the hospitals and use surface streets when they can. The design of the 690 interchange and the short merges are just plain dumb, and a hazard for emergency vehicles.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,624,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
When push comes to shove, the Onondaga County legislature can pretty much always be counted on to shoot from the hip and call it wrong when it comes to anything planning related. Not a surprise, and very glad the P-S editorial board called them on it. There was no reason, whatsoever, for any such resolution on either side of the issue, at this stage.

From the past public meetings (there's another one next week, which I'll be attending of course), they already have studied the traffic flows and the emergency care traffic - ambulances already avoid using 81 from the north to get to the hospitals and use surface streets when they can. The design of the 690 interchange and the short merges are just plain dumb, and a hazard for emergency vehicles.

I agree that the legislature was foolish for passing the resolution. That being said, if the legislature passed a resolution voicing the opposite viewpoint - that I-81 must be removed and replaced with an urban boulevard with interstate traffic diverted to the I-481 beltway around the city - I have a have a sneaking suspicion that The Post-Standard would have lauded the legislature or at the very least would not have criticized them for speaking too prematurely. There have been several occasions where political leaders or decisionmakers have "shot from the hip" yet never received criticism from The Post-Standard because the Editorial Board agreed with their stance.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:11 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
^That is probably true, but considering how people post on Syracuse.com, they would provide the backlash for that stance. So, you would get it from someone either way. With that said, it is still too early, regardless of the direction of the plans implemented.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^That is probably true, but considering how people post on Syracuse.com, they would provide the backlash for that stance. So, you would get it from someone either way. With that said, it is still too early, regardless of the direction of the plans implemented.

I sometimes wonder if The Post-Standard purposely posts provocative and divisive stories and editorials to inflame people which in turn generates many comments and subsequent web clicks. Their new business model seems to be predicated on generating web traffic. It's unfortunate, regardless of one's political opinion, how some media outlets have become so tabloid and political in nature. I include Fox News and MSNBC in that category.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I sometimes wonder if The Post-Standard purposely posts provocative and divisive stories and editorials to inflame people which in turn generates many comments and subsequent web clicks. Their new business model seems to be predicated on generating web traffic. It's unfortunate, regardless of one's political opinion, how some media outlets have become so tabloid and political in nature. I include Fox News and MSNBC in that category.
I know it and I do think the style of the articles are written in a way to incite people instead of inform people, at times. Even on TV with this constant "Breaking News", it's almost like the owner of the Enquirer took over the TV news business.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I know it and I do think the style of the articles are written in a way to incite people instead of inform people, at times. Even on TV with this constant "Breaking News", it's almost like the owner of the Enquirer took over the TV news business.
Agreed. I would have expected trashy writing and sensational coverage from Channel 3 (now CNY Central), however even the once venerable NewsChannel 9 and The Post-Standard have stooped to this level.

I would submit this poorly written and inaccurate report as exhibit A:
Dewitt residents share concern about I481 impact of I81 Challenge : News : CNYcentral.com

The headline of the story references the "town of DeWitt" yet somehow the town becomes a "village" in the sixth paragraph of the article. Marsh Farms which is near the Jonathan Craig subdivision and is parallel to I-481 is located squarely within the town of DeWitt and is nowhere near a village. The closest village is East Syracuse which is more than two miles to the northwest. I am certainly not immune to committing my share of spelling and grammatical errors, however the work done by this "reporter" is deplorable and a perfect illustration of how low salaries and low standards compromise journalistic quality. To add insult to injury this "reporter" consistently neglects to put a "dash" between the abbreivation for "interstate" and the number (Ie I481, I690, I81).

A few weeks ago, the same multimedia "journalist" filed another report. At 0.13 in the clip, the reporter is practically whispering the address and sports a goofy look as if he just uncovered something groundbreaking. Again, he stated the incorrect municpality of where the doctor's former home was located. The home has a Fayetteville address, but is located in the town of DeWitt.
Prominent Central New York obstetrician investigated in wife

The Syracuse Press Club is so impressed with this man's work, he was honored at their recent meeting. It's hard to imagine that a television news market that was home to quite a few well respected journalists and had relatively high quality newscasts less than 20 years ago is now infested with inferior talent that would have been turned away from reporter positions in the smallest of markets only a few years ago.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:07 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,134 times
Possibly of interest: Syracuse University News » » Exhibition at The Warehouse Explores Future of I-81 Downtown

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Opinion piece on future if I-81: David M. Rubin: I-81 is the most important civic decision in 60 years, let's get it right | syracuse.com

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,016 times
Quote:
As I don't live in Syracuse or any suburb I don't have a dog in the hunt but in the comment part an outsider can't help notice people from within the city proper take a nasty tone towards people from the suburbs.

I haven't been following it myself but as a taxpayer I hope the cheapest possible way is chosen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area