Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 9,431,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngirl View Post
MY family and I will be moving back to NY (currently in SC -don't recommend)
and we were from Victor (near Rochester). Hoping to move to either Skaneateles or Marcellus since both seem to have small school districts. I don't want my kids to be one of a zillion. Also it looks really pretty there. But my question is - since we are not in the wealthy class of society is Skaneateles going to make my kids feel inferior - I don't want them just around "the rich kids" and I don't want them to feel they have to have and do everything the rich kids do. Is there a good mix there or am I better off going to nearby Marcellus? Also it seems that there are no moderately priced homes in skaneateles. Maybe it's the time of yr??? any thoughts would be great. Thanks
Understand your concerns about Skaneateles schools. Sorry, do not know enough to make a helpful comment about that.

Marcellus is a nice area too. It's a semi-rural area located between suburban Camillus and Skaneateles. The western suburbs of Syracuse have been ignored for years, but they are starting to get noticed. One shopping center including a Lowe's was just built in Camillus and a proposed "Lifestyle Center" featuring homes, retail, office space and a hotel is on the drawing boards. The reason I'm mentioning Camillus because that's where residents of Marcellus usually shop etc.

I'm pretty sure I never posted my pictures of Marcellus. I hope you don't mind if I include them here? The Village of Marcellus is very small but is surrounded by beautiful rolling country hills. Only a small part in the northeast corner of the Town of Marcellus bordering Camillus is zoned for residential development. This is the area where I took the photos....The Town of Marcellus:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 01:00 PM

27 posts, read 177,690 times
Thumbs up Skanealetes Photos Another Bellafinzi Masterpiece

My Grandparents owed a Camp on Skanealetes, many fond memories of the Lake and town. Do you plan pics of Ostisco Lake? Nice photo ops of the dam and causeways possible there as well as panorama photós if you drive up the eastern ridgeline that come down to the lake on east side.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:58 PM

Thanks gandalf222! Maybe someday I'll get some pics of Otisco Lake. I've only been there once. Very rural, but nice.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,526 times
Beautiful. Thanks for the pronounciation help too! I always thought it was "Ska-needles".

Now I can't sing my song I had for it though: "Well I headed for Las Vegas, only made out to Ska-needles".

If you're under 40, you won't get that.

If you're over 40, you'll either still not get it or you'll have the Three Dog Night song stuck in your head...

Thanks for the beautiful pics. I can't wait to spend this summer up there.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 AM

142 posts, read 811,502 times
If you live in Skaneateles, you either live in the village or the town. The village is mostly beautiful older homes of varying sizes, and price tags. But the town is more diverse. There is no one type of person in Skaneateles. Sure, there is more money here than the directly neighboring towns perhaps, but Skaneateles has lots of farms too. As a result, you can't make a generalization that everyone has money or is snobby. It just isn't true. My kids go to the public schools and their classmates span the economic spectrum.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,152 times
"Skinny-atlas"....one of my favorite places in NY......if you ever get a chance to visit, do stop by at the Sherwood Inn for a 6+ star meal in the Tavern looking over the lake. Enjoy a memorable meal sitting in a room that makes you FEEL rich without the pretention....more Old English country gentleman. And they make the BEST whiskey sours on God's Green Earth. Follow your meal with a leisurely walk through town ending at a bench lake-side drinking in some of the most gorgeous scenery you will ever come across......and if you stay over at the Inn, you can indulge in a full-course breakfast that is fit for a king & queen. Last time, they had a corned beef hash dish (no, this was NOT just any old corned beef hash) that was Palovian...my mouth still waters everytime I recall it!!!!!

PS... and no, I'm not the Inn's p.r. person....it is just that good!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaneatelesmom View Post
If you live in Skaneateles, you either live in the village or the town. The village is mostly beautiful older homes of varying sizes, and price tags. But the town is more diverse. There is no one type of person in Skaneateles. Sure, there is more money here than the directly neighboring towns perhaps, but Skaneateles has lots of farms too. As a result, you can't make a generalization that everyone has money or is snobby. It just isn't true. My kids go to the public schools and their classmates span the economic spectrum.
You're right, not everyone is rich in Skaneateles. I guess what I was trying to say was that...... just like New York City has The Hamptons, Syracuse has Skaneateles.

I know, not a great comparison, but you know what I mean.....

Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM

578 posts, read 3,082,180 times
My Dad and his family grew up in Skaneateles and my uncle, grandmother, and one of my cousins and her growing family still live there today. Small, beautiful village. Fabulously clear and clean lake. You can see the bottom 100+ ft from shore. However, the lake is freezing cold even in the summer. I don't personally know any RICH people in Skaneateles though my relatives aren't poor, either.

I heard tax assessments around the lake sky rocketed last year and there's quite a bit of protest and I think legal action related to it.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:59 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,994 times
Great photos! Everything I love about the Finger lakes is there, even though I've never seen them, but I hope to visit someday. It reminds me a bit if NE Iowa combined with the lakes of Minnesota thrown in, a combination. I really love it. Anyway, I thought the Florida photo was funny and apt, and all too true, I'm sure, although I've never been there either.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,630 times
Gandalf22, Here are some recent photos of Otisco. Not sure, I'm doing this right

[ATTACH]3742[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3743[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Skaneateles, NY- Finger Lake town just west of Syracuse-100_1148.jpg   Pictures of Skaneateles, NY- Finger Lake town just west of Syracuse-100_1153.jpg  

Last edited by Glen NY; 05-23-2007 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area