Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 12:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,188,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
BS! There wasn't a McDonald's in the Arcade.

There was only one McDonald's and only one Burger King in downtown, and they were across from the Civic Center (The Dunk).

Former BK -- https://goo.gl/maps/TqfqDFgBFceiGWP16 (Trinity Brewhouse now)

Former McD -- https://goo.gl/maps/473EdrZoo7mteVbr5 (parking lot now)

And as for downtown not being too supportive, I'm calling BS on that also. They were there for DECADES. And the BK was an absolute zoo any time there was an event at the Civic Center -- which, unlike now, was very often. They left after downtown became a ghost town.

Getting back on topic, I was serious about tearing down the old and tired Superman building. Put a 24 hour, multi-story McDonald's there...like the one in Times Square. I'd even go as far as saying they should add a similar billboard. This is what Providence needs.

https://goo.gl/maps/e9M6NBYfHakppz3s8

The current plan will end up essentially being a high rise low income housing project, and that's exactly what Providence doesn't need - especially right next to Kennedy Plaza.
There absolutely was a McDonalds in the Arcade. When did you live here?

Did the Burger King you're talking about have dark wood, brass rails. And a section signed 'Bankers Quarters'? I thought it was where the bank is now on Westminster and Dorrance. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that was another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 08:50 PM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
There absolutely was a McDonalds in the Arcade. When did you live here?

Did the Burger King you're talking about have dark wood, brass rails. And a section signed 'Bankers Quarters'? I thought it was where the bank is now on Westminster and Dorrance. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that was another one.
There was only 1 McD and 1 BK in downtown. Both were on Fountain Street.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:48 AM

Quote:
There was only 1 McD and 1 BK in downtown. Both were on Fountain Street.
Plus the McDonalds in the Arcade around 2006-10 and there was a Burger King near Dorrance and Westminster in the late 70s/early 80s.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:50 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,180,717 times
The Burger King was at Westminster and Dorrance, where TD Bank is now. It opened in 1980. The whole thing was called “Bankers Quarters,†not just a section, but I remember the sign over the dining room that would suggest it was just a section. I don’t remember when it closed, probably the late 1990s or very early 2000s. It became a Dress Barn.

I don’t remember McDonalds in the Arcade or Burger King in Fountain Street, but I don’t doubt their existence.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The Burger King was at Westminster and Dorrance, where TD Bank is now. It opened in 1980. The whole thing was called “Bankers Quarters,†not just a section, but I remember the sign over the dining room that would suggest it was just a section. I don’t remember when it closed, probably the late 1990s or very early 2000s. It became a Dress Barn.

I don’t remember McDonalds in the Arcade or Burger King in Fountain Street, but I don’t doubt their existence.
I did find this on the BK Bankers Quarters, and that's exactly the location I was referring to. We used to go there when we took the bus into the city as teenagers. By the time I worked downtown, I'd go there again - to shop at Dress Barn.

https://share.newsbreak.com/g8hvi49v

I remember the McDonalds in the Arcade from 2006- 2012 when I worked downtown and would go to the Arcade for lunch. Only the Arcade closed for renovations before 2012, I think in 2008. The owner wanted to find a single retail tenant to take it over. Then the crash hit, and the 108 Tower on Westminster was canceled. It remained closed for a few years

It would be interesting if we could remember some of the other tenants. I remember the Dunkin Donuts, the cookie store and a couple other food stalls - one Chinese, and one run by JWU students but I can't remember any names! Serendipity maybe?

Old 02-09-2022, 02:24 PM

Redplum33, have a look at this picture of the Arcade. Enlarge it to those familiar golden arches on the right side

https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/sim...b148e39f9a.jpg

Strike 2. MP confirmed you were wrong about BK. Why are you always so sure you're right and everyone else is lying? Maybe next time consider that you might not know everything before calling something "BS".

Old 02-09-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe next time consider that you might not know everything before calling something "BS".

I stand corrected about the # of McD's and BK's in downtown.

As for calling BS, it was certainly warranted as you made some rather ignorant comments about downtown not being supportive.

Quote:
And as for downtown not being too supportive, I'm calling BS on that also. They were there for DECADES. And the BK was an absolute zoo any time there was an event at the Civic Center -- which, unlike now, was very often. They left after downtown became a ghost town.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected about the # of McD's and BK's in downtown.

As for calling BS, it was certainly warranted as you made some rather ignorant comments about downtown not being supportive.
There always a "but". Even though you called a McDonalds in the Arcade BS and it clearly wasn't.

How many BKs and McD's now, redplum? Doesn't sound like there's much support for them there, or they'd still be there. Jimmy Johns didn't last nor did Quizno's, despite being close to JWU. No Taco Bells. No KFC. No Arby's. No Wendy's. No Pizza Hut or Dominos downcity.

There is a Subway near the ice rink. I'll give you that one, if you consider that fast food. And Dunkin Donuts.

So why was my comment ignorant when it's the truth? Your example can't be a McDonalds or Burger King that closed 20 years ago, because that only proves my point.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
There always a "but". Even though you called a McDonalds in the Arcade BS and it clearly wasn't.

How many BKs and McD's now, redplum? Doesn't sound like there's much support for them there, or they'd still be there. Jimmy Johns didn't last nor did Quizno's, despite being close to JWU. No Taco Bells. No KFC. No Arby's. No Wendy's. No Pizza Hut or Dominos downcity.

There is a Subway near the ice rink. I'll give you that one, if you consider that fast food. And Dunkin Donuts.

So why was my comment ignorant when it's the truth? Your example can't be a McDonalds or Burger King that closed 20 years ago, because that only proves my point.

This is about McDonald's and Burger King, not fast food in general. And I've already explained why your comments are ignorant.

Quote:

Old 02-09-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
This is about McDonald's and Burger King, not fast food in general. And I've already explained why your comments are ignorant.
Because the Burger King opposite the Civic Center was busy on event nights 20 years ago, that means I'm ignorant. Ok. None of them were busy enough to remain open but you must be right that a McDonald's would flourish downtown now. You always are right. You should totally buy a franchise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island