Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2023, 12:20 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks9 View Post
So I'm a bit nervous about leaving New Orleans for rural Maine. Big differences culturally, environmentally, demographically. I cannot endure another summer here, and it's just going to get worse. I'm not writing with questions about purchasing a home, or public schools.
Has anyone out there moved from such a rich cultural environment to Maine and found a similar/different, but sufficient environment in Maine? I want to live very rural...I'm not expecting 2nd line parades in the forest. I read about the demographics and keep seeing, "conservative" and not a lot of diversity in the numbers. What's it like?
It depends entirely on what you mean by "rural." I run into people from Boston who think that Freeport is "rural."

I lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for over a decade before moving to Maine. I have also lived in the Southwest, and yes, there are cultural differences. But I have found that no matter where you are, if you look for a-holes, you'll find them without much trouble, and if you treat people with courtesy and respect, they'll do the same to you. That is certainly true in Maine. I have run into some colossally obnoxious tools in Maine, but the overwhelming majority of people are polite and willing to help out a neighbor. But there are some differences you should be aware of:

In terms of politics Maine, like many states, tends to run blue in the cities and red in the country. But rabid, intolerant in-your-face reds and blues are extremely rare. Mainers are big on the "live and let live" attitude. But that goes both ways. They don't tend to push and preach their own views on you, and they don't like it when people come and push and preach to them --- especially out of staters.

People who move to Maine because they love Maine and want to make Maine their home tend to find a warm welcome. People who move to Maine and want to change it into a version of the place they moved away from? They tend to annoy Mainers.

Mainers are friendly, but it is different than other parts of the world. Don't start asking personal questions until you get to know someone very well. That was a big culture shock for my West Texas mom, who is convinced Mainers are unfriendly. They aren't. It's just different. In West Texas, my mom can and often does go up to total strangers, start a conversation, and within minutes is sharing personal details of her life and asking about the other person's personal life. That freaks out Mainers. Don't do that. Get to know someone a little first before you start asking about their kids and grandkids and where they work and their health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 11:32 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,527 times
I live in a rural town in the western Maine mountains. The area holds fairs, concerts, and other events that bring community together. The is a very slow shift in the demographics of this area, but I am happy to see the diversity as it arrives. Culture here is relative to the area, but there are folks making inroads on adding to the community.

The general makeup is conservative in nature, but there are many new people here that are bringing outside views with them. I am one of those people whose viewpoints are not conservative. As it has been stated already, many Mainers tend to their own business and like to not have government butting into their business. Yes, Maine has abortion, gender, and sexual preference rights, and I find that a plus. Let people do as they see fit.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:00 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mks9 View Post
So I'm a bit nervous about leaving New Orleans for rural Maine. Big differences culturally, environmentally, demographically. I cannot endure another summer here, and it's just going to get worse. I'm not writing with questions about purchasing a home, or public schools.
Has anyone out there moved from such a rich cultural environment to Maine and found a similar/different, but sufficient environment in Maine? I want to live very rural...I'm not expecting 2nd line parades in the forest. I read about the demographics and keep seeing, "conservative" and not a lot of diversity in the numbers. What's it like?
Do you like snow? Do you like solitude? Have you ever been to Main before and can I ask do you realize the difference between Maine's towns, Cities, Communities and "rural Maine"? I ask not to be a pain but it's very different...wonderful but different. I spent time in Millinocket and loved it, the people were great and it was just about the right speed for me. Now that was years ago and while I have also been to Portland I do prefer more of a small town feel.

Last edited by G1..; 10-18-2023 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 04:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I'm still trying to figure out how OP chose Maine...

Old 10-20-2023, 04:26 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how OP chose Maine...
Some of us who have moved to Maine, love it here.

Old 10-20-2023, 04:35 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some of us who have moved to Maine, love it here.
I said nothing against Maine (I once lived there, too, and I also love it). It just seems random in the OP's case. Why Maine versus anywhere else?

Old 11-07-2023, 04:03 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
... Why Maine versus anywhere else?
We decided on Maine to get away from droughts.

Once we began shopping for land to buy, we were shocked at the low prices and low taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area