Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 05:45 PM

350 posts, read 195,851 times

Advertisements

Have you ever even been to Maine. Did you pick it out of a hat? LOL This reminds me of the "move to Florida" posts. Ironically Maine is a popular destination for Floridians in summer.

No it's not Conservative and the governor is a Democrat. Who said THAT? Since you were happy about that, cool then.

The state is only 37% Republican registered. The state is Democrat. Lots of claims of being Independent. Trump couldn't even pull it off in 2016 and 2020 was a political bloodbath.

The "Republicans" are moderates. That means generally Liberal. Have you heard of Susan Collins? Angus King?

1.) Maine is all-in on MEDICALLY transing MINOR children without parent's consent. So basically Maine believes that parents' rights don't exist that the STATE can do what it wants with your family. Based on an outright lie that medical interventions are reversable. They are NOT. But that's what you get when you vote for talking points without facts.

2.) They JUST NOW lifted all restrictions on abortion to allow LATE TERM ABORTION - after viability. One of the least restrictive states in the country - more permissive than almost every other state and country on the planet.

3.) Maine Governor Wants to Resettle 75,000 Foreign-Born Migrants in Maine by 2029

The governor announced the goal as part of the press strategy for rolling out an executive order that will eventually create the “Office of New Americans,” a state office that will assist with migrant resettlement and integration throughout the state.

That's 3 out of 3 Leftist policies on controversial issues so no Conservatve. EVERYTHING on the state websites promotes "equity" buzzword DEI.

But if you didn't know any of the above then it doesn't matter to you and you'll be in the woods anyway right? haha. Try calling the Governor and see if shell ASSIST YOU WITH RESETTLEMENT AND INTEGRATON. Oh wait no. It's the Office of New Americans so that won't work.

It takes a good year to assimilate.

Also you'll be very cold. Your fat cells are NOLA cells not Maine cells so you'll be wearing heavy slippers and stuff like my kid coming home up North from Florida was always FREEZING. Layer.

The best way to decide where to move is to visit the grocery stores.

I'd say rent not buy but in this market it's individual case basis so who knows.

You also don't seem to know good PUBLIC SCHOOLS typically mean GOOD NEIGHBORHOODS but again...maybe you're not looking for a neighborhood.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-17-2023 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 08:05 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
Have you ever even been to Maine.

1.) Maine is all-in on MEDICALLY transing MINOR children without parent's consent. So basically Maine believes that parents' rights don't exist that the STATE can do what it wants with your family. Based on an outright lie that medical interventions are reversable. They are NOT. But that's what you get when you vote for talking points without facts.
lol....maybe on the coast but most homies don't play that poop and heads would roll.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
lol....maybe on the coast but most homies don't play that poop and heads would roll.
And yet, the people of Maine let this and many other policies become law over the years.

Can't drink but can destroy your whole body AND brain for the rest of your life.

Lawsuit Alleges Maine School District Violated Parental Rights Over Child’s Social Transition

A Maine parent is suing her child’s school district in federal court for allegedly violating her parental rights by allegedly failing to inform the mother of her child’s social transition—part of a handful of legal battles over pronouns across the country.

The parent, Amber Lavigne, is suing the Great Salt Bay Community for allegedly violating her 14th Amendment rights .

The district’s Transgender Student Guidelines, which it adopted in 2019, requires school staff to follow a child’s preferred pronouns if they are different from the ones assigned at birth, allow them to use restrooms, and align with the dress code in a way which is consistent with their gender identity.

Lavigne is suing the district for failing to inform her that a school counselor used the pronouns and name her child chose to go by at school, which were inconsistent with the name and pronouns associated with the child’s gender assigned at birth. The counselor also allegedly gave the child a chest binder—a tight-fitting garment worn around a chest to flatten breasts—and told the child they were not required to tell their parents, and that the counselor would not reveal that information, either,

Old 09-17-2023, 11:36 PM

6,851 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Go for it. You will have more regrets about what you don't do, than the things you try. Apparently some of the people on CD didn't bother to read that you said you don't need info on buying a property or on the schools - LOL.

I don't live in Maine, but I have acreage and can't see any of my neighbors. It's great in many respects. I might have to drive an hour or two one way for entertainment and decent restaurants but I am fine with it. Until you try it you won't know if it will meet your expectations. Sometimes things can be better in theory than actuality.

You may love it, or you may find you want something in-between rural and city life. I'd suggest renting to see how you acclimate to your change in environment.

Old 09-18-2023, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Go for it. You will have more regrets about what you don't do, than the things you try. Apparently some of the people on CD didn't bother to read that you said you don't need info on buying a property or on the schools - LOL.

I don't live in Maine, but I have acreage and can't see any of my neighbors. It's great in many respects. I might have to drive an hour or two one way for entertainment and decent restaurants but I am fine with it. Until you try it you won't know if it will meet your expectations. Sometimes things can be better in theory than actuality.

You may love it, or you may find you want something in-between rural and city life. I'd suggest renting to see how you acclimate to your change in environment.
And YET. Here you are giving property advise.

Oh I "bothered to read it" alright. You didn't notice?

I SAID, the OP got SCHOOL info from me BECAUSE OF HIS STATEMENT - informing him that GOOD SCHOOLS MEAN GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD so the schools SHOULD factor into a decision about where to live.

See? That means I actually READ what he said.

I'd say he's a novice and NEEDED that information since it's a well known fact.

Sorry you didn't understand my wording and the reality of that statement. "LOL"

Old 09-18-2023, 04:26 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

Just a word on that to acclimate to your new environment and not change it to acclimate to you, if it is rural. That is, if you lived in the city and moved to the country, try not to make it like when you were in the city. Your neighbors may not appreciate it for a drive to have the services of such when it raises the taxes. And please, don't poison the small animals if you see them as "pests".

Old 09-18-2023, 07:39 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,341,315 times
I think you will be okay in Portland because at least it is a mid-sized town. I am glad you decided not to move to a small town, however, because I think you would be very unhappy and bored. Rural life is NOT for everyone, and unless you were born in the small town in which you are living, it can be somewhat unwelcoming. That being said, not all rural small towns are alike.

I lived in Bridgton, Maine from 2004-07 and did not like it nearly as much as I do rural Wisconsin for many reasons, although some of those reasons involved factors in my personal situation that would not apply to most people, However, that being said, I would not recommend rural living to anyone who is not an introvert and okay with very little social life. (My husband and I are introverts, though, so we have absolutely no problem with only having an average of about five minutes a day talking with other people -- and that is mainly just small talk with the neighbors if we encounter them while walking in our teensy little community.)

Anyway, we did go to Portland/South Portland about once a month when we were living in Bridgton, about 45 minutes away, and while neither Portland nor South Portland seemed to be particularly conservative to me, Portland seemed somewhat "gritty" whereas South Portland seemed more like a 'typical white suburb', with its mall and major chain stores, but there didn't seem much to do as far as "culture", diverse or otherwise, in either town. (This is just my impression, of course, and maybe things have changed in 20 years.) I know you have made your choice, but it does make me wonder why you chose Maine unless it is because prices for rural homes are cheaper there than they were in Vermont or New Hampshire or rural Massachusetts -- or at least they were 20 years ago, IIRC.

Last edited by katharsis; 09-18-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-18-2023, 09:20 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Why did you choose Maine, of all places, especially if you're worried about the "conservative politics" and "lack of diversity"? How did you eliminate every other rural area of the country?

Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 AM

6,851 posts, read 4,850,706 times
If you fo go rural I suggest a wood stove and a generator because if the power goes out in a widespread area the rural areas are the last to have it restored. A whole house generator that also runs the well is best.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:08 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,252 times
I can tell you many an out of stater has had fantasies about moving to Maine and then get here and complain! If it's the summer heat you are trying to escape, then there are other northern states for you to explore as well. Vermont, NH, Michigan, upper state NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area