Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times

Advertisements

How do these two cities stack up for a person looking for an urban lifestyle? My general view is that both are mid-sized cities. But Rochester is a little bigger and has a slightly more white collar economy. Rochester has more developed mix of walk-able neighborhoods in the SW quadrant (Monroe Village, Park Ave, South Wedge) where Syracuse is basically limited to Westcott. But, Syracuse perhaps has a more active downtown (Armory Square/Hanover Sq vs East End)?

How accurate are my perceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
How do these two cities stack up for a person looking for an urban lifestyle? My general view is that both are mid-sized cities. But Rochester is a little bigger and has a slightly more white collar economy. Rochester has more developed mix of walk-able neighborhoods in the SW quadrant (Monroe Village, Park Ave, South Wedge) where Syracuse is basically limited to Westcott. But, Syracuse perhaps has a more active downtown (Armory Square/Hanover Sq vs East End)?

Not to be a stickler, but the SE Quadrant is the area of Rochester you are referring to.

Syracuse also has the Marshall/Crouse area and the East Genesee/Irving area north of Syracuse University(both a part of University Hill), Tipperary Hill on the city’s Westside, perhaps Little Italy/North Salina Street and the Butternut Circle/Grant Boulevard area(Court-Woodlawn neighborhood) on the Northside, Eastwood and perhaps even Franklin Square(mainly companies, but some businesses dispersed) just NW of Downtown Syracuse. You also could live in newer apartments in the Park Avenue area just west of Downtown/south of West Genesee Street(Automobile Row) and walk to Downtown or perhaps even to Tipp Hill. While all have some walkability, I’d say that Tipp Hill, Park Ave and Franklin Square will have some professionals.

I dare say that Syracuse does have the more active Downtown right now as well. Clinton Square also has its share of festivals during the warmer months.

Also, do not sleep on some of the villages in both areas as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-12-2017 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to be a stickler, but the SE Quadrant is the area of Rochester you are referring to.

Syracuse also has the Marshall/Crouse area and the East Genesee/Irving area north of Syracuse University(both a part of University Hill), Tipperary Hill on the city’s Westside, perhaps Little Italy/North Salina Street and the Butternut Circle/Grant Boulevard area(Court-Woodlawn neighborhood) on the Northside, Eastwood and perhaps even Franklin Square(mainly companies, but some businesses dispersed) just NW of Downtown Syracuse. You also could live in newer apartments in the Park Avenue area just west of Downtown/south of West Genesee Street(Automobile Row) and walk to Downtown or perhaps even to Tipp Hill. While all have some walkability, I’d say that Tipp Hill, Park Ave and Franklin Square will have some professionals.

I dare say that Syracuse does have the more active Downtown right now as well. Clinton Square also has its share of festivals during the warmer months.

Also, do not sleep on some of the villages in both areas as well.
While the article is old, this is a map of the Tipperary Hill area: Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

It is known for its pubs and has Burnet Park, which is where the zoo is located. It is also a straight shot down West Genesee Street from Downtown as well. Going west down West Genesee Street takes to big box shopping in Fairmount/Camillus. There is a Wegmans and some other stores nearby in the Western Lights area as well.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
While the article is old, this is a map of the Tipperary Hill area: Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

It is known for its pubs and has Burnet Park, which is where the zoo is located. It is also a straight shot down West Genesee Street from Downtown as well. Going west down West Genesee Street takes to big box shopping in Fairmount/Camillus. There is a Wegmans and some other stores nearby in the Western Lights area as well.
These loft apartments are in the neighborhood as well: St Patrick's Lofts - Apartment Rental Community | Sutton Real Estate Company, LLC

You can walk to say Rosie's, Coleman's, Nibsy's, the Brooklyn Pickle(sandwich shop), the Blarney Stone, etc. from there and within the neighborhood.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

Rochester all day. If only because its close to a more major city. Syracuse is a backwater area and pretty dumpy.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Rochester all day. If only because its close to a more major city. Syracuse is a backwater area and pretty dumpy.
Syracuse has a lower crime rate and arguably the better(or more active in terms of nightlife) Downtown. It may be more “gritty”, but in an important bottom line aspect, it actually is better. This is over a period of time as well.

It is also slightly more affordable and is centrally located in the state. So, trips to Bos-Wash cities, mountains, as well as similar access to lakes(is actually closer to a Finger Lake) are shorter. So, those are 2 more aspects you could consider to be in Syracuse’s favor.

Syracuse also has the most affluent city neighborhood of the two, as there are actually about 2 or 3 census block groups in Syracuse that have six figure median household incomes. Rochester doesn’t have any.

So, while I like both cities, each has its advantages one way or another.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Syracuse has a lower crime rate and arguably the better(or more active in terms of nightlife) Downtown. It may be more “gritty”, but in an important bottom line aspect, it actually is better. This is over a period of time as well.

It is also slightly more affordable and is centrally located in the state. So, trips to Bos-Wash cities, mountains, as well as similar access to lakes(is actually closer to a Finger Lake) are shorter. So, those are 2 more aspects you could consider to be in Syracuse’s favor.

Syracuse also has the most affluent city neighborhood of the two, as there are actually about 2 or 3 census block groups in Syracuse that have six figure median household incomes. Rochester doesn’t have any.

So, while I like both cities, each has its advantages one way or another.
Who cares? Syracuse has a few nice streets surrounded by 75% dumpy, dilapidated, abandoned, crime-ridden areas. Lets not cherry pick here. Brooklyn is "gritty". Syracuse is a dump.

You have a population of over 2 million people within a 1 hour drive of Rochester. Big name draws for concerts and major league sports. Syracuse is a hick backwater with a university filled with Long Island snobs that leave the area 1 day after graduating. 1 hour drive of Syracuse gets you to Watertown, Binghamton and Utica, not exactly bastions of culture.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Who cares? Syracuse has a few nice streets surrounded by 75% dumpy, dilapidated, abandoned, crime-ridden areas. Lets not cherry pick here. Brooklyn is "gritty". Syracuse is a dump.

You have a population of over 2 million people within a 1 hour drive of Rochester. Big name draws for concerts and major league sports. Syracuse is a hick backwater with a university filled with Long Island snobs that leave the area 1 day after graduating. 1 hour drive of Syracuse gets you to Watertown, Binghamton and Utica, not exactly bastions of culture.
Not true about the response to the highlighted statement and doesn’t make sense given the crime rates. Same about the statement about the University students.

Syracuse still has major college sports and you can still make a Bills game, as many do. Some go to NYC based pro games as well. You also have just about the same in regards to minor league sports minus minor league pro Basketball.

Ithaca is within an hour of Syracuse and mountains are about an hour and a half. The 1000 Islands are also within the same distance.

Concerts will depend on what you like and they are set up to where people can get to other locations anyway.

Anyway, both would/could be good options.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Not true about the highlighted statement and doesn’t make sense given the crime rates. Same about the statement about the University students.

Syracuse still has major college sports and you can still make a Bills game, as many do. Some go to NYC based pro games as well. You also have just about the same in regards to minor league sports minus minor league pro Basketball.

Ithaca is within an hour of Syracuse and mountains are about an hour and a half. The 1000 Islands are also within the same distance.

Concerts will depend on what you like and they are set up to where people can get to other locations anyway.

Anyway, both would/could be good options.
Syracuse may be closer to a Finger Lake, but Rochester is in the Finger Lakes region and closer to more of them. Either way, its splitting hairs as they are both pretty close.

All major Upstate NY cities have a lot of crime, I'm glad you finally admitted how bad crime was. Syracuse has crime on all 4 sides. You need to be pretty selective in where you go in Syracuse. In most US cities, you are ok in most of the city. In Syracuse you are ok only in a few streets. Rochester is fine on the east side, at least.

I left my woman alone for 3 minutes outside Pastabilities and some drunken dirtbag was demanding money from her. I'm no stranger to it. The city is a pit. The suburbs of both are fine.

No one is going from Syracuse to the Bos-Wash corridor unless they have a hotel stay. Syracuse is more convenient to Iceland too for that matter- its closer. Its 5 hours to a Giants game with the usual traffic and then 5 hours back with Giant traffic leaving. try as you might, its not at all convenient.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Syracuse may be closer to a Finger Lake, but Rochester is in the Finger Lakes region and closer to more of them. Either way, its splitting hairs as they are both pretty close.

All major Upstate NY cities have a lot of crime, I'm glad you finally admitted how bad crime was. Syracuse has crime on all 4 sides. You need to be pretty selective in where you go in Syracuse. In most US cities, you are ok in most of the city. In Syracuse you are ok only in a few streets. Rochester is fine on the east side, at least.

I left my woman alone for 3 minutes outside Pastabilities and some drunken dirtbag was demanding money from her. I'm no stranger to it. The city is a pit. The suburbs of both are fine.

No one is going from Syracuse to the Bos-Wash corridor unless they have a hotel stay. Syracuse is more convenient to Iceland too for that matter- its closer. Its 5 hours to a Giants game with the usual traffic and then 5 hours back with Giant traffic leaving. try as you might, its not at all convenient.
Both are technically in the Finger Lakes region. Otisco and Skaneateles lakes are in the same county that Syracuse is in.

Actually, all major Upstate cities aren’t high crime and all Upstate cities have chunks of decent to very nice neighborhoods. I actually said that Rochester has a higher rate than Syracuse.

You don’t know Syracuse well if you think it is just a few streets you are fine in. Rochester has solid/fine outer neighborhoods in other quadrants.

So, a drunk guy asking for money(allegedly)is the standard for Syracuse being a “pit”. You might as well stay out of most cities then.

You can get that area of NJ within 3 and a half hours and many actually make the trip from Syracuse occasionally.

Anyway, jpdivola, if you have any questions just ask. I’ll try to post some more relevant information in relation to the thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York