Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,829,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Not a very fair assessment of Syracuse. Sounds like you have a axe to grind to me.
Not at all, just keeping it real
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM

93,572 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Not at all, just keeping it real
Keeping it right is better...

Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Not a very fair assessment of Syracuse. Sounds like you have a axe to grind to me.
Basically and this has happened before when others have asked about area information or threads like this: Radioactive Element Found in Reynolds Channel

15 questions about the Thruway cities

Best areas to raise a family? (Low COL, SOL, low crime, Salary, etc.)

Syracuse Chat thread

This one is a classic example: Coming up to Syracuse for a few days from NYC

Anyway, hopefully jpdivola will come back to the thread.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 04:20 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,294,740 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have an exact budget, I'm only looking for a 1 or 2 br apt for starters. I would rather focus on the neighborhood first and then see what I can afford. I'm looking for a relatively safe neighborhood with an active commercial strip (similar to Elmwood Village) . Based on gmaps I think Westcott is probably the closest fit in Syracuse. I get the sense Hawley-Green is a nice area, but mostly residential, not much in the way of a commercial district?

Marshall Street also looks interesting, but perhaps too student dominated. Armory Square or downtown might also be an option, but I think I want more of a residential feel.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have an exact budget, I'm only looking for a 1 or 2 br apt for starters. I would rather focus on the neighborhood first and then see what I can afford. I'm looking for a relatively safe neighborhood with an active commercial strip (similar to Elmwood Village) . Based on gmaps I think Westcott is probably the closest fit in Syracuse. I get the sense Hawley-Green is a nice area, but mostly residential, not much in the way of a commercial district?

Marshall Street also looks interesting, but perhaps too student dominated. Armory Square or downtown might also be an option, but I think I want more of a residential feel.
Eastwood would fit in this regard, as James Street has some businesses in that neighborhood. It is in the NE corner of the city and has about 11% of the city’s population. Eastwood Neighborhood Association

6 Eastwood

https://goo.gl/maps/dm1rMdSv7sH2

Court-Woodlawn would/could also work: Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click Walkable Court Woodlawn - Butternut Circle

7 Northside (The business district is the area with a lot of red on Grant Boulevard and the neighborhood covers the area north of it)

https://goo.gl/maps/ogTyFviqyo42

There are some apartments in the Sedgwick neighborhood in between both neighborhoods: Park Setting Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY | Rugby Square Apartments

Dewitt Highland Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

Hawley-Green has businesses scattered through parts of the neighborhood.

Marshall Street gets its share of medical facility/hospital employees as well, as there are 4 hospitals and about a few other facilities nearby. There are apartments north of Marshall Street towards East Genesee Street, where more apartments(mainly geared towards students and some professionals are located. Welcome to University Hill!

Welcome to University Hill!
The B.I.D. » Crouse-Marshall

Apartments on the street or nearby: Home
Fayette Place – Downtown Syracuse Apartments
http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...ded.html(Being built)
There are some older buildings further east on East Genesee Street too.
You could take this to Downtown or to campus: Connective Corridor

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-13-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Eastwood would fit in this regard, as James Street has some businesses in that neighborhood. It is in the NE corner of the city and has about 11% of the city’s population. Eastwood Neighborhood Association

6 Eastwood

https://goo.gl/maps/dm1rMdSv7sH2

Court-Woodlawn would/could also work: Court-Woodlawn Task Force: Click Walkable Court Woodlawn - Butternut Circle

7 Northside (The business district is the area with a lot of red on Grant Boulevard and the neighborhood covers the area north of it)

https://goo.gl/maps/ogTyFviqyo42

There are some apartments in the Sedgwick neighborhood in between both neighborhoods: Park Setting Apartments for Rent in Syracuse, NY | Rugby Square Apartments

Dewitt Highland Townhouse Apartments in Syracuse

Hawley-Green has businesses scattered through parts of the neighborhood.

Marshall Street gets its share of medical facility/hospital employees as well, as there are 4 hospitals and about a few other facilities nearby. There are apartments north of Marshall Street towards East Genesee Street, where more apartments(mainly geared towards students and some professionals are located. Welcome to University Hill!

The B.I.D. » Crouse-Marshall

Apartments on the street or nearby: Home
Fayette Place – Downtown Syracuse Apartments
http://www.syracuse.com/business-new...ded.html(Being built)
There are some older buildings further east on East Genesee Street too.
You could take this to Downtown or to campus: Connective Corridor
Sedgwick info: SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Here is some Rochester SE Quadrant information: https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

Great guide for that whole section of town. Here is some Downtown info for both cities: http://www.rochesterdowntown.com

https://www.downtownsyracuse.com

Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Basically and this has happened before when others have asked about area information or threads like this: Radioactive Element Found in Reynolds Channel

15 questions about the Thruway cities

Best areas to raise a family? (Low COL, SOL, low crime, Salary, etc.)

Syracuse Chat thread

This one is a classic example: Coming up to Syracuse for a few days from NYC

Anyway, hopefully jpdivola will come back to the thread.
Thank you for finding these. I was happy to read them, and even more happy that I've been quite consistent in my posts throughout the years. People seem to like my posts, as I have a higher reputation than my post count (2616 to only 2,446 posts). I'm glad that some people respect my opinion, some don't and that's fine. I love everyone. I'm not a hired mouthpiece nor is it my life's mission to be on this forum 16 hours a day.

Anyway, OP nothing here that has been stated is false. I prefer Rochester over Syracuse, if only given a choice of the 2 cities (if given other choices, I would prefer other cities over Roc obviously). I can't envision myself in Syracuse, I think the majority of the city is more dangerous than I like, and there's more blight than I prefer.

Every major street that I recall- Butternut, James, S Salina, E Colvin, Erie Blvd, etc all were pretty blighted and felt unsafe, in the same way parts of Newark or Paterson feel unsafe. I still go to those cities but my preference would probably not be to live there. That's all I'm really saying here, and kerrye summed it up pretty well. Btw, I did say the suburbs are fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is

Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you for finding these. I was happy to read them, and even more happy that I've been quite consistent in my posts throughout the years. People seem to like my posts, as I have a higher reputation than my post count (2616 to only 2,446 posts). I'm glad that some people respect my opinion, some don't and that's fine. I love everyone. I'm not a hired mouthpiece nor is it my life's mission to be on this forum 16 hours a day.

Anyway, OP nothing here that has been stated is false. I prefer Rochester over Syracuse, if only given a choice of the 2 cities (if given other choices, I would prefer other cities over Roc obviously). I can't envision myself in Syracuse, I think the majority of the city is more dangerous than I like, and there's more blight than I prefer.

Every major street that I recall- Butternut, James, S Salina, E Colvin, Erie Blvd, etc all were pretty blighted and felt unsafe, in the same way parts of Newark or Paterson feel unsafe. I still go to those cities but my preference would probably not be to live there. That's all I'm really saying here, and kerrye summed it up pretty well. Btw, I did say the suburbs are fine, so I'm not sure what the problem is
James is mainly fine except for a small area near, but separated from Downtown. East Colvin isn’t a Main Street. Erie Boulevard is a long autocentric Street that is generally fine, but has a gap or two. South Salina is better the further south. Butternut is a mix of businesses and homes that is rough looking in parts until just before Grant Boulevard. If one hasn’t been to some of these streets within the past few years, then they may not be aware of changes that have occurred or may know very little about what is going on There will be more to come.

Information is available to show that Rochester just has a higher crime rate. Hence this area of the city: https://rocwiki.org/Crescent_of_Poverty

With this said, both have quite a few fine areas within city limits that many may not be aware of.

If you have any more questions jpdivola, just let me know.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
James is mainly fine except for a small area near, but separated from Downtown. East Colvin isn’t a Main Street. Erie Boulevard is a long autocentric Street that is generally fine, but has a gap or two. South Salina is better the further south. Butternut is a mix of businesses and homes that is rough looking in parts until just before Grant Boulevard. If one hasn’t been to some of these streets within the past few years, then they may not be aware of changes that have occurred or may know very little about what is going on There will be more to come.

Information is available to show that Rochester just has a higher crime rate. Hence this area of the city: https://rocwiki.org/Crescent_of_Poverty

With this said, both have quite a few fine areas within city limits that many may not be aware of.

If you have any more questions jpdivola, just let me know.
I didn't realize this and how widespread an area it is. So, I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have felt as unsafe in Roc as I did in Syracuse.

I may reconsider my move to Roc. I say that with 100% seriousness. I also just found a disturbing Youtube video based on this "cresent of poverty". Unsettling to say the least.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I didn't realize this and how widespread an area it is. So, I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have felt as unsafe in Roc as I did in Syracuse.

I may reconsider my move to Roc. I say that with 100% seriousness. I also just found a disturbing Youtube video based on this "cresent of poverty". Unsettling to say the least.
People think I’m playing around on here. This is not a joke as far as I’m concerned. I have a sibling that lives in the Rochester area as well.

With this said, Rochester has plenty of nice areas of the city. People need to realize until you address the bigger picture, you need to realize such areas are in just about every American city. I never understood why I needed to be that drastic in order for people to get this basic reality. Even cities held in high esteem nationally like Raleigh, Seattle and Portland OR have some area(s) that are similar to some degree.

My point all along in here is that you have to consider the good and the bad in every city, but you don’t have to harp on negative aspects, because you can find that via the local news/media. That is easy, but finding the positive aspects of said cities aren’t going to be as easy. Hence, why I post the way I do.

Now, given that Syracuse is about to upset the #2 team in college football, if you like major college sports, Syracuse has that in its favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York