Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 33,558 times

Advertisements

Utica NY is one of the worst places to live I moved there when my husband died I thought it would be a nice place since it was upstate. But instead all thats up there is a lot of welfare receipants both black and white everybodys on crack the houses are bad and the jobs suck I will never ever live anywhere upstate again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:59 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswebb37 View Post
Utica NY is one of the worst places to live I moved there when my husband died I thought it would be a nice place since it was upstate. But instead all thats up there is a lot of welfare receipants both black and white everybodys on crack the houses are bad and the jobs suck I will never ever live anywhere upstate again
lmao thanks for the heads-up

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Default Utica

Utica is not truly representative of most communities that lay west of Albany. There are plenty of fine, decent communities as well as bad places like Utica. Just do your research and homework next time to avoid choosing the wrong place.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswebb37 View Post
I'm sure Utica was one time a viable city but it's fallen into decline and like the sinking ship, the rats are the last ones to go.........all small cities aren't as bad; look into heading towards Rochester which have some lovely suburbs and villages surrounding it....good luck

Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Good, so stay downstate then.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 AM

23 posts, read 156,039 times
You should have done your research, that is true.

Central New York is a scary place, in my opnion. It has a depressing aura, which is unavoidable. The consistent cloud cover might be partially responsible. However, people just seem to be a bit left of center. If you don't believe me, step into...an Arby's in Binghamton. Your first reaction will be something along the lines of: "What toxic chemical got spilled in the water supply around here?" or "Do they have schools in this county?".

Anyways, good luck getting out of Utica, and sorry to hear about your husband. Might I suggest California?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 AM

23 posts, read 156,039 times
WILW Radio: can you please name some of these fine, decent communities that lay west of Albany? (Besides Syracuse, which has it's share of problems)

Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Canandaigua, Amherst, Pittsford, Saratoga Springs (a wee bit north) Oneonta and Cortland to name just a few.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 33,290 times
Default It's not that bad

wow you must have been living in the worst part of Utica which is Cornhill...Everyone isnt on crack maybe it just was you...I've lived here all my life and I dont have a problem with it except for the amount of high paying jobs...yes there is bad parts here but no city is perfect without crime or drugs its everywhere so get over it...THANK YOU!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Canandaigua, Amherst, Pittsford, Saratoga Springs (a wee bit north) Oneonta and Cortland to name just a few.
Going further west I'd tack on Sidney, Ithaca...

There are certainly some crappy places upstate but some very nice ones too. I have only been to Utica once and one visit told me it was somewhere I would not want to live. Basing your view of all of upstate NY on one city, and one that is pretty depressed at that, isn't the most intelligent thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York