Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times

Advertisements

I grew up in upstate NY in the 50's and 60's and hadn't been back for 30+ years until last summer when I was on my way to New England, driving on the NY Thruway, between Buffalo and Albany. I stopped in Utica just out of curiosity and was just blown away by the devastated downtown area. I remembered it as a thriving and economically prosperous place in the 50's and early 60's and what I saw last summer was shocking. I drove around the city a bit and made a few wrong turns off of the main commercial street and felt pretty scared in the bombed out neighborhoods that looked like the south bronx on a smaller scale, in some neighborhoods. Reading this thread has enlightened me re: what happened to that part of upstate NY, which was sad to see after 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 08:29 PM

22 posts, read 65,251 times
in the late 1800's, utica was the fastest growing city in the country and was the textile capital of the world and then a few decades later, the radio capital of the world. now, it's probably the poster child of decay and despair....which is why there is a bar on every corner.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Talking Best veiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
in the late 1800's, utica was the fastest growing city in the country and was the textile capital of the world and then a few decades later, the radio capital of the world. now, it's probably the poster child of decay and despair....which is why there is a bar on every corner.

this is about the best veiw of utica...once you get down into the city it doesn't look this nice...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/JFRRACING/0082.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 48,888 times
Anyone native to Utica.............I'm looking for a house to rent in utica, preferably in s. utica. I just accepted a job there and will be moving soon and would appreciate any help anyone has regarding nice places to rent. I am particularly interested in a place that is socially open-minded and NOT prejudice as I am Afro-American and my husband is Euro-American. So far I have found the people of Utica to be very kind and welcoming. It is very refreshing! Thank you in advance for your candid replies.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitmovn View Post
Anyone native to Utica.............I'm looking for a house to rent in utica, preferably in s. utica. I just accepted a job there and will be moving soon and would appreciate any help anyone has regarding nice places to rent. I am particularly interested in a place that is socially open-minded and NOT prejudice as I am Afro-American and my husband is Euro-American. So far I have found the people of Utica to be very kind and welcoming. It is very refreshing! Thank you in advance for your candid replies.
Try here:utica apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Apartment Search

uticaOD.com - Mohawk Valley's Online Home Buying Resource - List View

By the way, North Utica is also another very nice area of the city, as is the Eastern end by Proctor High School. Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 48,888 times
Thanks! I'll try all of the sites you suggested and keep in mind those sections of town. Wish me luck. (-:

Old 11-22-2008, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,278 times
i live in utica ny. in fact people get shot everyday. a cop got his head blown off for stopping a car! oh and, everyones on crack. lol all the houses are run down. you talk to the wrong person, and there gonna gat your ass. no lie. its not a good place. i mean youll be okay as long as you dont look at the wrong person in the wrong way, you know? theres like no white people living there. its all black people and spanish people mostly. some asians. every store is always getting robbed, and youll know your in utica when you hear the sirens of the ambulances and police cars. you can buy weed at all the corner stores in the hood. ANDDD you can buy beer without a i.d! the worst part? well.. im so used to the gun shots going off everynight that it kinda calms me down to get to sleep. :-D GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-22-2008, 10:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
I spent a college semester in Utica and even in that short time I picked up on the whole Bosnian thing going on.... the funny part is .. as a white guy... I see all these whites bitching , and its like they are the ones fleeing their neighborhoods -- so **** them. Its the same in Buffalo where you got these Pollacks bitching that the East Side is all black now.. OH NOES well you abandoned your neighborhoods and left a vacuum, so **** you.

This is why , no matter where Im living, I side with minority communities -- cause they are always on the moral high ground !!! I can't even think of a case where its been the other way around ! Bosnians are buiding a better Utica while the stupid Italians/Irish [WHITE PEOPLE]are leaving for the sunbelt and bitching about it ! Its hilarious !
I think if crime is rising in a neighborhood and crooks and gangs are moving in anyone who has assets in the community will move out to protect themselves, white AND black.
Nobody wants to lose the biggest investment of their life.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 PM

378 posts, read 626,368 times
Blame the U.S. Government. Instead of making it a nice place to live, it's the crap you see today... pretty stupid, isn't it? I suggest not putting out the U.S. flag either... why promote a crappy government?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbuddyroe View Post

I am deeply offended by this person's remarks. I do, however, understand how you feel. I was born and raised in Utica, NY. My family came to Utica as immigrants from Italy. Although I could not wait to get out unlike most of my relatives, I now realize as a fully grown adult how lucky I was to grow up there. Also, I went to school in Buffalo,NY. There are negatives elements in just about every city in America. Utica's are the welfare recipients (many are from the New York City area) and unfortunately, there are numerous immigrant recipients. I have to agree that immigrants from Russia and Bosnia have been an added plus to the City. They are hardworking and talented and have brought back the kinds of old-world ethics and culture of which I am most fond and have great memories. We need someone like Donald Trump to come in and donate his money on renovating this city. However, we also need to reform the Medicaid laws. I personally know people in Utica who are young and physically fit to work, but prefer to live off Medicaid. But I divert. I will always love Utica, the simple life it offers, and sometimes wish I never moved away! By the way, the surrounding villages like Clinton and New Hartford are beautiful!
Most of NY state has been depressed for years. This is nothing. Wait till all the budget cut go through... Btw, I'm surprised that folks from NYC would move up for welfare. Would they have even heard of Utica. No offense. I'm guessing they had relatives up that way and just eventually came back. Ore one went up and all followed. Btw, there are lots of people from upstate and the rest of the US working in NYC or here, looking for work or bitching when they finally find a "New York" job and it doesn't pay 60k... As a result, natives can't get work. Hmmmm, maybe they are the welfare people moving upstate. hahahah just joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York