Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times

Advertisements

Lesson learned!

Now hurry on home while the housing market is in a lull!

Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
The housing market isn't in a lull upstate. It's actually held steady. It wasn't on fire like it was in NYC and all of the "hot markets" last year, and it isn't going down hill now. I think the fact that the area doesn't follow national trends in such a tight and conformed way like a lot of the rest of the country does is why I really like it up there.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
The "upstate" you are refering to is like another state to me LOL!

Ulster/Dutchess/Sullivan and south, the housing is in a lull - even a dip in places. The rest of the state has just about always been reasonable.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,846 times
Default Dont Move To North Carolina!!!!! Be Real

Thats your opinion about North Carolina, I'm also originally from NY, currently living in Vegas, i'm considering a move to NC. I have many, many friends & family that relocated to the south including the Raleigh & Charlotte areas. They havent complained about anything. Well maybe the Pizza isnt the same.

But you need to take a chill pill, stress is unhealthy.

Also lets not make these chat boards political, Some of us support President ?Bush, some dont.

Stay safe --- T

Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,040 times
It's true. I've been watching the Upstate real estate market closely for nearly 2 years. And it hasn't budged. If anything, many homes are selling for more than last year (at least in the Capital district). I guess that's good that there is appreciation, but a bit disheartening for me as a first-time buyer (soon to be).

Old 09-26-2006, 12:01 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I moved from Indiana to NC due to spouse's transfer. It took a long long time (several years) to reestablish relationships and groups. However, I was sad when we moved back.

The issue with Cary is that the majority of homes are relatively new and built for "outsiders" or "transfer ins". I was shocked at how few truly southern accents I ever heard. Many many planned culdesac subdivisions.

The restrictions on building in Cary for business and the restrictions on signage has caused problems with even locating a business. And the homeowner restrictions are very heavy.

It was in fact quite like one big homeowner association for Cary. But it sure looked surface pretty.

I lived in Apex and had trouble being a stay at home woman. Almost the whole neighborhood left for jobs leaving few of us behind to socialize. I loved the climate and the flowers and gardening I could do so it was perhaps the suburb living we choose and not the geographic place that was the problem.

Again, I hardly ever met a true southerner and the ones I did meet were very nice. Mostly this area was full of transplants.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I live in Apex right now. I've also lived in Cary, North Raleigh, and Southeast Raleigh (yes, I did just say SE Raleigh, and yes, it was scary). You are spot on about the overly "newness" of this area. It gives it NO charecter, All of the houses on any given street look exactly the same and are so close together. They just had a major story on the front page of the local newpaper (the Raleigh News & Observer) that said the average new home size in wake county has almost doubled since 1980, while the average lot size has been cut in half!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 15,818 times
Default Oh yeah your right

I moved from Wilson (40 miles east of Raleigh) to Columbus Oh - originally from Syr and lived in Rochester and you are correct.

As someone told me, southern hospitality is a mis-nomer. People down here are friendly but dont want to be friends. you can invite them to your house 15 times a week and they will never return the invite. It's very clique-ish and if your not from the area, even if you lived in the area a ga-zillion years, your an outsider.

They don't like it when someone speaks thier mind although they don;t mind telling you that I-95 runs north if you don't like it here.

Not to mention, there isnt a dag-gone thing to do in Wilson and its in a hurricane zone. No things are NOT cheaper in NC, no the cost of living is not lower...the only thing good about the south is friend chicken. They do have good BBQ though.

My advise to you potential transplants, if you move here, don';t move to a small southern town and and if you want to get along, you have to belong to a group. Even then, your still an outsider.

Surprised you had the reaction in Cary which as you know is called the Collection Area for Relocated Yankees. Try living in Wilson if you want real yankee dissing...

Old 09-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,051 times
I haven't had many negative experiences with people in NC, but I hated the area around Charlotte. I was very boring and bland. All of the houses looked the same, you are surrounded by boring chain stores and restaurants. Nothing unique about the area. No culture. Peoples idea of an Italian restaurant is the olive garden. I guess if you are middle aged and want the safe quiet life its fine, but for somebody that likes to do things such as going out to eat it is horrible.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 AM

480 posts, read 2,829,276 times
Reason #437 not to live in NC: no Italian food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax View Post
I haven't had many negative experiences with people in NC, but I hated the area around Charlotte. I was very boring and bland. All of the houses looked the same, you are surrounded by boring chain stores and restaurants. Nothing unique about the area. No culture. Peoples idea of an Italian restaurant is the olive garden. I guess if you are middle aged and want the safe quiet life its fine, but for somebody that likes to do things such as going out to eat it is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York