Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 05:13 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times

Advertisements

OP, were you looking to live in "downtown" Madison, or further out? If you were interested and open, there are many very nice large towns located in close proximity to Madison, which would greatly increase your chances of finding a home that fits all your requirements. My BIL and sister have lived in a "small" town that is maybe 50 miles south of Madison, but their hospital is affiliated with the University hospital in Madison, and they have gone there for some specialized treatment (and dining options!). That is the beauty of Wisconsin and the Midwest in general; there is adequate groundwater such that towns spring up all over the place, with farms in-between, something you don't find in more western states (and Texas is so big, it is probably highly variable with regard to adequate water supplies, I believe San Antonio is on a large river). Real estate taxes are similar (about two percent of value) in both states, but I believe housing is cheaper near San Antonio. Crime is probably less in Madison. There is no income tax in Texas, but Wisconsin's sales tax is probably close to half of Texas'.

As others have stated, climate is going to be one of your biggest choices - you don't have to shovel sunshine, but the summers are much more tolerable in WI than Texas. Good Luck on whichever you choose.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 05:13 AM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times
Hello again, everyone. The heat of the sun here in Durham, NC felt unbearable yesterday, combined with the humidity. Yesterday was a very strange day altogether between the heat and communications received. One was an email from the managing editor I'd written to at the business journal in San Antonio. A week had passed so I was surprised to hear back but he recommended that I send him my resume. I used to work for a sister business journal in Miami ages ago and I've been trying to get back into the same line of work for many years. I was an editorial assistant/researcher there. So yesterday he said there's a position open for a data reporter, which apparently is a different title to what I used to do. However, there is a hiring freeze so the position is not being posted. I won't get my hopes up, but I sent in my resume.

Then, I got connected with someone in Cleveland, where I used to live going back to the early 2000s. I'm checking into this too, returning to that area (well, not living in Cleveland). I used to live in Westlake. I wish I had some contacts/leads materializing in Madison but so far that hasn't happened. I first got intrigued with Madison some years ago when I transcribed audiotapes from a study that was being done here at UNC Chapel Hill. The study was using taped visits from patient/doctor visits at the University hospital in Madison. I was curious about Madison and started reading about it then. Having a university hospital is a real plus, especially now, getting older.

Midwestern friendliness is certainly something I experienced living in Ohio, and from those I have spoken with in Madison, I can see it there. I'll add that I know some people see Ohio as the North rather than Midwest but for me the whole area is the Midwest, so the debate doesn't interest me. Southern friendliness I have found is skin deep but again that's my perspective based on the experiences I've had.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:43 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Midwestern friendliness is certainly something I experienced living in Ohio, and from those I have spoken with in Madison, I can see it there. I'll add that I know some people see Ohio as the North rather than Midwest but for me the whole area is the Midwest, so the debate doesn't interest me. Southern friendliness I have found is skin deep but again that's my perspective based on the experiences I've had.
You're not the only one.

In the part of the south I'm from, it's all "north". Ohio and Wisconsin have enough similarities that I think you'd like it.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 AM

Which part, sub, the part I said about the Midwestern friendliness or the Southern friendliness? No emojis here. I wanted to send you one.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Southern friendliness I have found is skin deep but again that's my perspective based on the experiences I've had.
You're not the only one who's had those same experiences. I can relate.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:03 AM

166 posts, read 191,657 times
Madison I really liked it there and it is not such a large city as SA. Yes it gets cold but the snow is pretty. I think Madison might be more for you. You can go to Madison and find others your age and the rent is cheaper. Go Madison Good luck!

Old 09-03-2020, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 2,586 times
Are you really far left in your political ideology? If so, you will love Madison.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallonStarr View Post
Are you really far left in your political ideology? If so, you will love Madison.
Boy this is on target. Make sure that you can tolerate "intolerance" of any views other than far left and you will be happy in Madison.

If you like to dine out, San Antonio has by far the better food in my opinion.

Someone mentioned Austin. It is closer in size to Madison and has the advantages of being a state capital and major university town.

It also has the traffic problems that Madison has when the university is in session (Fall and Spring semesters especially).

Austin is definitely more to the left politically like Madison, but not so much so that you will be intimidated by having a more centrist or even "right" viewpoint. It really is an "inclusive" environment.

And of course the entertainment scene in Austin is legendary and the close by Texas hill country is a great benefit if you like the outdoors.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I lived in Madison for 10 years, moved to San Antonio and lived there for 17.
  • You adapt to Madison winters by buying appropriate winter clothes. With fleece, down, good mittens or gloves and more face coverage than you're used to wearing in other places, it is doable.
  • San Antonio's biggest downside isn't climate, it's allergies. January is a mild version of winter, but a heavy time for cedar pollen. Lots of people find out they're allergic to cedar pollen after they move to San Antonio or Austin.
  • San Antonio is about 10x the size of Madison. It requires a much more careful selection of a place to live, because there are more impoverished parts of town.
  • Cost of living is higher in Madison, but San Antonio is catching up. We were fortunate to get much more house from the equity in our Madison house when we moved to SA than is probably possible now.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:20 AM

Hello everyone. I haven't checked replies here for a while but was glad to see some more thoughts today. I need to make a decision this month so I can move on. I have started looking for teaching support positions since I don't have a K-12 license but do have experience. On Indeed I entered Diocesan jobs since I particularly have liked the parochial environment and feel closer to it as well. I have an interview tomorrow for a position in Richmond, Virginia, which isn't as great a move, of course, and I also applied for an admin. job in at a school in Milwaukee. Someone here mentioned Milwaukee and I am looking it over too.

San Antonio seems too large for me since I don't know the city and will have to do a trial run no matter where I go, meaning, stay at an Airbnb or extended stay to look things over before renting, unless I have a job lined up, which is hard nowadays.

As far as ideology, oh no, I am not far left by any means .I'm actually more middle of the road but have always leaned more toward democratic candidates, and of course this time I for sure did!

Thanks everyone for continuing to be a support on this journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison