Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

I have only minor annoyances. The front of my house is too dark because it faces north. In the winter, I find the dark hall depressing.

My kitchen is too large for the size of the house. But I love my island.

The guest bath off the front hallway is roomy and actually pleasant. But instead of placing the toilet between the vanity and tub, they placed it at right angle to the vanity. When you walk down the hall, you get a view of the toilet, unless the door is closed. This must have been a last minute change to the design. This room was likely used as a place to smoke. It has taken years for the odor to dissipate.

I do actually like my house. It is the best house I’ve lived in. It has many quality features. The large south facing windows in the living area are a pleasure three seasons of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 08:42 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
The saltillo tile in the Living Room and Family Room.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-d1Qy-I62j2...0/IMG_5003.JPG

I kick myself for not replacing it before moving in when I bought the house. When I do get to it, it will be a big messy job.

It was popular in the SW decades ago. Don't know why. It's ugly, hard to walk on, hard to position furniture, and forget moving chairs around.

Love everything else about my house.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:37 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

I kick myself for not replacing it before moving in when I bought the house. When I do get to it, it will be a big messy job.

It was popular in the SW decades ago. Don't know why. It's ugly, hard to walk on, hard to position furniture, and forget moving chairs around.

I am looking at luxury vinyl plank and they said it can be installed over tile. Not sure about saltillo tile but maybe worth checking into?

I too love everything about my 2 BR/2 BA condo here in FL. It's a one-story "quad" building, nobody above or below, great soundproofing. If I had to pick one or two things:

Appliance space: I replaced the washer and dryer and they're too big to fit behind the louvered doors. These places were built in the 80s when the appliances weren't as deep. The delivery guy suggested I hang a curtain. Oh dear lord. Also, I'm limited on the size of refrigerator, unless I wanted to remove a cabinet above it -- but I managed to find a stainless model that fit.

Unuseable attic: The access is in my bedroom walk-in closet. But there's no pull-down staircase, plus even if you are able to hoist yourself up and over, you have to remove a ton of clothing and other items out of the way.

Those are minor items, to me. I especially love the split layout where the bedrooms/baths are on opposite ends of the condo. Very private.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:04 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

I consider true satillo tile to be beautiful - a very unique flooring that is handcrafted and synonymous with spanish/southwestern style (as you've stated).

Old 06-21-2021, 08:22 PM

552 posts, read 223,062 times
The person who built my house decided to build the wood deck smack dab pressed against the foundation.
The water wicks from the deck when it rains, and has damaged the walls.

The person who built my house nailed the windows straight into the frames, no flashing whatsoever.
There is no flat panel siding, the windows were nailed into frames, flammable tar paper was stretched over
the wall studs and flat sided double "Ogee" beveled siding was nailed over the window flanges. There is
no way to remove the windows unless you saw thru the rock hard old pine siding, which damages the rest
of the siding since it is all installed in one flat horizontal long length double bevel panel, nailed into studs.

I have a great view, so the back windows are all 6 ft. high on 8 ft. high walls. The too close decking
rotted out beneath the windows. The one positive is the foundation is concrete.

Oh, best of all the previous owner decided to slap on vinyl siding to cover up all the damage, which continued
to rot out underneath. The previous owner found the worst person to tile the tiny shower. They did not water
proof, and they actually poured the shower floor base AFTER they tiled the walls. I knew something was wrong,
I removed the super large pre fab corner fireplace and found standing water on all three sides of the shower,
completely pooled inside the rubber liner holding the concrete poured floor.

I have been slowly demoing and rebuilding for two years. I live alone, it's a hobby and a compulsion to renovate.

I have an absolutely incredible lot and view, I am truly, madly, deeply in love with my pain in the rear home.

Last edited by Tylerrose; 06-21-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 08:54 PM

557 posts, read 296,970 times
This is such a fun thread. We are all so very different. I am amazed that what one person loves, the next person loves not. It helps when people explain what drives their preferences. For instance, I love love love my cathedral ceilings, I came from a 100yr old house up north with low ceilings, few windows. I felt dark and cramped. Which makes my open concept, cathedraled home, with almost no walls at all, feel light, bright, and expansive. It is all windows and sliders w/ views and light coming from both the front and the back. So open!
I did give consideration to the fixtures up in the cathedral ceiling. My research revealed the LED bulbs in the can ceiling fixtures last ~10yrs w/ regular usage. My usage is about 1/2 of 'regular' so I calculate that they will probably have to be changed out once during my tenure probably by the handyman that takes care of the plumbing/electrical/house repairs that will be much more frequent than that. I do own the extension pole though. I love it. I wack that around quite often.

The OP stated that her house was on the small side, she didn't say what size it is. My only slight annoyance is that my 1100sqft home is a little too big. I am only one person. I only need a chair, a snack table, a bed, and my computers. But I couldn't find a 1 bedroom/1 bath retirement unit that allowed dogs so this was the next best fit. I lucked into getting my house because the seller moved up the street to a larger house with room for the grandbabies.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:02 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
I guess having a garage that one could actually park a car in or a driveway that is longer than three feet would be nice but I would never trade one square foot of my expansive, beautiful garden or the charming facade arrangement that I have as a result of my minimal car storage/parking space as allocated. I never have a problem parking the cars right out front on the street and it’s actually pretty rare to have an attached garage in a 96 y.o. house that works well as bike and additional storage easily accessible from the house.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:06 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
There are a lot of things that annoy me about my house. Hopefully over time we can fix many of them...

I would say the most annoying thing is how easy it is to hear sound through the walls, especially on the one side. I grew up in an attached house, my grandparents all had attached houses, I lived in apartments, etc. and I would say this is pretty bad.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 AM

62 posts, read 38,542 times
My useless large garden tub in the master bathroom.

It just collects dust and is a place for my plants.

When we bought this house in 2013 it was a flip and they updated the master bath.

It is beautiful, so it would be cost prohibitive to rip out the tub as the floors will have to be redone

I would replace the tub and put a washer and dryer in its place as I have to trek to the beautifully finished basement to do laundry.

A minor inconvenience to be sure, but I really hate cleaning that tub when we will never use it.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 590 times
I have always been annoyed by the lack of space (I live in a city apartment), and the fact that i do not have a garden. I miss sitting outside and kick back after a long day. But great news, we're getting a balcony. Hopefully i can get some of the same vibe. Just bought muself poor in things for my new little peace of heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating