Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 12:19 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

My concert going has slowed way down in the past 15 years. For awhile I wasn't interested and/or couldn't justify the cost. Now I'm interested again, and most of the bands I want to see now are charging $30-$40, which I can justify, but as a recent show indicated, my knees just can't stand up for 2+ hours anymore.

Seen any good concerts lately? -- the Afghan Whigs in September 2022

What was your best year for shows? -- 1987, 1989, somewhere in there. I think I went to a show a week back then.

Most memorable one? Talking Heads, 1983, at Miami University

Who are you planning on seeing in 2023? No idea yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 08:44 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
My last concert was Gordon Lightfoot, on April 8, 2022 in Tarrytown. I am thinking about Bruce Hornsby on March 29, 2023 in Tarrytown. I have been a frequent guest at Gordon Lightfoot concerts, these days almost as often as he make his way down from Canada.

My biggest concert year was in sleepaway camp in 1970. We were adjacent to Tanglewood and, until someone in the camp went off and had sex, curtailing concerts we saw:
  1. In my very first concert, It's a Beautiful Day (biggest hit "White Bird"), Jethro Tull and the Who;
  2. Chicago
  3. Preservation Hall Jazz Band.
In 1971, from the same camp, we saw Sly and the Family Stone. They came late and did not play long. In 1976, at Cornell, I saw Loggins & Messina. In 1977, at Cornell, I saw Grateful Dead (April or May) and Bruce Springsteen in the fall of 1978. In summer 1978 a close friend and I went to see classical music at Tanglewood twice. In fall 1978 I saw Eric Andersen. In Spring 1979 I saw New Riders of the Purple Sage at Ithaca College, with the same close friend with whom I went to Tanglewood.

In 1981 I commenced a string of Gordon Lightfoot concerts:
  1. In Boston in April 1981, my stepsister took me for my birthday. Just awful;
  2. In August 1983 or 1984 with an ex, at Garden State Art Center n/k/a PNC Arena, a lot better (he was off the sauce);
  3. In November 1994, in Stamford, Connecticut;
  4. In October 2005 in NYC;
  5. In July 2013 in NYC;
  6. In November 2015 in Ridgefield, Connecticut;
  7. In May 2019 in NYC; and
  8. In April 2022 in Tarrytown, NY
I saw The Who at Meadowlands in 1985, and Crosby Stills & Nash at the piers in NYC, also in 1985. I saw Eric Andersen again in August 2018 and November 2022.

I saw Bob Dylan with my wife and another couple at Tanglewood in 1990. By coincidence another couple with which I later became friendly was there. We both thought was one of the worst concerts ever. I know I went to one in August 1993 with my wife; it may have been Neil Young but I'm not sure.
I saw Blue Rodeo, a Canadian group (and once Jim Cuddy Solo) in NYC in June 2003, October 2006, and on one other occasion. I saw Great Big Sea twice in NYC, I think in 2003 and then again in 2007 or 2008.

I must be missing some, but anyway...

Old 02-17-2023, 12:07 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Saw Megadeth and Lamb Of God several months back. Including Brooks and Dunn. I was eyeing the BRRF myself. But that would be hard, considered our work schedule. One of the bands we want to see, Cold, will be in Shreveport in a few months, so that show is more closer and easier to attend.

Cold really helped me through some tough times. Death, addiction, homeless.. I've been a fan since 13 Ways To Bleed On Stage. Saw them twice before. First time we had merchandise signed by Scooter and crew. Pictures too. One of the greatest highlights of my life, actually, considering the positive impact their music put in my life.

But, I'm honestly tired of concerts. Really aggravating when you pay good money for a show, Including hotel, travel, to not being able to enjoy the show because of everyone's cell phones in the air recording EVERYTHING.
I can't wait to see Megadeth, and I'm hoping Lamb of God makes another appearance at BRRF this year. I've never seen Cold, and know a few of their songs from listening to 13 Ways, but it sounds like I should give a listen to some of their other albums through-and-through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
My musical taste is pretty spastic, so I've seen quite a few people. Mostly country because that's what my wife likes, but she's coming around to more rock related concerts.

Eric Church was my most memorable country concert back in 2016. Halestorm opened for him.
311 was my most memorable "rock" concert. Saw them last year in March 2022.

We had tickets to see The Revivalists in 2020 and covid canceled the show. They never came back to our area.

Probably seen Luke Bryan 10 times (my wife is a huge fan.... me? Not so much). Last one was 2022.

Kenny Chesney (put on a great show) 2022

Blackberry smoke put on a great show back in 2018. Haven't gotten a chance to see them again, but I would go.

Saw U2 back in 2018... I was not impressed. Wouldn't do that twice.

Saw Better than Ezra once at my mother in law's company picnic back in about 2016. Completely unexpected, but they did great.

My wife just got me tickets to see Third Eye Blind in March of this year. Looking forward to this one.
We also have tickets to Kansas in October. Also excited about this one.

My absolute bucket list bands to see are (again... my musical tastes are spastic):

Foo Fighters (lost the opportunity to see Taylor play)
Dave Matthews Band
Ghost (#1 on my list)
Rush (lost my opportunity to see Neil)
My music taste is pretty all over the place as well, but almost all of my concerts have been rock or metal. Did go to one Brooks & Dunn concert with Big & Rich opening, that was back in 2006 though. I like your bucket list though, Ghost just played BRRF last year but I missed the day they played....hoping again that they come back. Along with In Flames! blink-182 has been a bucket list for me since elementary school, I am way too excited to finally see them this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Whew, what a year 1973 was for me regarding concerts! The venue was the Denver Coluseum, which had all the acoustics of Carlsbad Caverns National Park!

John Martyn, Free, Traffic- (January)
Allman Brothers (March)
Neil Young, Linda Ronstadt (April)
Led Zeppelin (May)
Jethro Tull, Steely Span (July)
Doobie Brothers, REO Speedwagon (Halloween)
Loggins and Messina, Dave Mason, Jesse Colin Young (November)
That's a legendary line up, geez. Led Zep, Neil Young, Jethro Tull, Doobies, I would kill to experience those shows in the 70s.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:30 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I must be missing some, but anyway...
I omitted a lot of classical concerts, and a few country concerts. Of the latter, I saw Don Williams in Elizabeth, NJ in 1984, and Willie Nelson in 1982. Of note were country music jamborees in June 1981 and Hartford, CT in July 1983. With regard to the latter, my then-girlfriend was wondering why I bought tickets in the shade rather than on the field of Meadowlands. She had her answer in the afternoon of that sweltering July 4, 1983, when people were being carried off the field for heat stroke. I am guessing that day it was 95°F in the shade in a summer that was basically one long heat wave.

Also omitted was a Grateful Dead concert I saw with that same girlfriend on May 9, 1979 n Broome County Arena. That girlfriend set me up with the woman I married, 12 years later to the day, May 9, 1991. I also saw Neil Diamond in Broome County Arena in December 1978, using tickets my dorm-mate had left over from his breakup with a girlfriend.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:36 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Some memorable concerts I went to at Red Rocks amphitheater in the 1970's.

June 1971--Jethro Tull
September 1973--Leon Russell
September 1973--Carole King
July 1975--John Denver
June 1977--Renaissance, Jean Luc Ponty
July 1978--Grateful Dead
July 1979--Joe Walsh
September 1979--Emmy Lou Harris, Michael Murphy, JJ Cale

Old 02-23-2023, 06:56 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
My best show? I saw U2 in 1992 and Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. They were past their eighties prime, but they hadn't completely run out of things to say. It was a great show, a sellout of more than 60,000 - and me and my three friend were in seats 13-16, the exact center of the 32-seat very front row.

Second best? Probably Lollapalooza, a couple weeks before the U2 show. Outdoors in St. Paul. Pearl Jam (whose I don't like all that much, but they put on one hell of a show), the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lush, Ministry, Soundgarden, and another act or two that escapes me right now. Outdoors in great weather, lasting about eight hours.

I saw Springsteen about ten years ago at the Xcel Energy Center. Great sound (something that has really improved over the past few decades, due to better sound systems and more conducive arena design). The man puts 100% into his performance, highly interactive and maximum energy. He can really work a crowd.

But those days are passing. I listen to some new music, but the sound I really like is now old and from my youth (I'm 54) and earlier, and so are those who made it. There aren't many left who still can perform as they once used to. My wife and I are seeing Sting at Caesar's Palace in early April ($56/ticket, and from what I've read there isn't a bad seat in the 4100-seat theater - and I've been keeping an eye on his current tour's setlist, and it has a lot of old Police and early solo songs I like, including non-single deep cuts).

It might be the last major show I see. If so, that's fine.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:14 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Have only been to a few concerts with 3 of them being AC/DC. My favorite by far was seeing AC/DC at the Ajax Arena in Amsterdam back in 2009.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:55 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
https://youtu.be/k5-fMebzwUU

Old 05-23-2023, 03:35 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
I'm in DC waiting outside Capital One Arena for the blink-182 show. Incredible energy, I am so excited. Blink has been one of my favs and a mainstay in every burnt CD/spotify playlist since 2001. Never seen em live before. After this most recent reuinion and world tour, i am going to be so effing happy to have seen the original boys (depending on def, i know scott raynor is an og og). I got pit tix and I am pregaking at a nearby bar with plenty of whiskers. Gonna go nuts in this put tonight. It's blink-182, holy **** i can't believe i am here.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:36 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Seen Bob Seger on his last tour in 2019. Seen Van "The Man" Morrison a few years ago.

My bucket list is about finished, though I might go see the child prodigy, the "Mozart of the Voice" Angelina Jordan, that's about it.

I would have liked to see the Rolling Stones, but the cheap seats were over four hundred dollars...no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation