Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

Personally, I find this trend disturbing.

Even worse than the trend of adults glomming onto YA novels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 04:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Art, drawing and coloring is a very calming and theraputic thing, but if your an adult who can't draw, do you scribble like a little kid? An adult coloring book giving the inner artist a chance to get out can be wonderfully relaxing. What's distrubing about it?

The YA novels have been read by adults who like good writing for years. Where do you think Judy Blume got started?

Just because your an 'adult' doesn't mean you have to leave everything before behind.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:53 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,740 times
Quote:

Seriously? It's art and can be therapeutic, hence there being a whole career of being an Art Therapist.

Is it just "coloring" you find disturbing? What about crafting, painting, bead making? Any other art or crafting activities you find disturbing or is it just "coloring"?

Old 12-26-2015, 04:58 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
(This topic could have also gone in the Health & Wellness or Entertainment & Arts sections, but I think this section fits it best.)

With the very, very recent passing of my dear father & the passing of my huge grad school exam to graduate (BOTH happened on the SAME day), needless to say that I need to do some calming, peaceful activities to truly relax & clear my mind these days.

I was kinda thinking about getting one for a while, but I got one of those adult coloring books. It seems like it will be a really peaceful activity & I know even therapists recommend it. I've already got a huge variety of Prismacolor colored pencils to do it.

I don't like how tiny & intricate the pictures/coloring spaces are in most of these books. That would make me more frustrated than relaxed, plus I'd have to sharpen my colored pencils down to the nub in no time to have that sharp point. I picked the only book at Barnes & Noble that had little larger spaces to color & it had a combo of pictures and patterns, which is what I wanted as well!

Anyone else like this activity? Comments? Other similar activities?
I met a lady who just had her adult coloring book published. Until she told me about her work, I didn't know adult coloring books existed. I am thinking she said it is a travel book about South Carolina with historical pictures.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,950 times
Love to do puzzles on occasion but actually have my own kids Christmas coloring book and crayons. Sorry folks but no matter how old you become there's still some kid in there somewhere!

Old 12-26-2015, 05:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
I got a set of adult coloring books for Christmas and am looking forward to relaxing with them. I am not an artist but enjoy putting colors together, so I think I will enjoy these.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
I enjoy Johanna Basford's books colored with Prismacolor pencils or Staedtler pens. I do not draw well, but these books provide a nice outlet for my artistic urges.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:

To me it seems, the aspect about it this poster doesn't seem to like is when adults return back to doing activities "meant" for only kids/teens & probably thinks what's next dot-to-dots or paper dolls & that we're supposed to get more mature & sophisticated as we get older & not do so-called childish things. Adults have been doing crossword puzzles all along for years & so do kids. I personally wouldn't use the word "disturbing" because it's not anything harmful to oneself or others or some totally wierd, outlandish activity, etc. & studies & psychologists state that adults benefit from coloring, but hey, to each his or her own.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
I remember back in the 50’s and 60’s the “Paint by the Numbers” canvas that you could buy at the dime stores back then. I’ve not seen anything like them these days; however I haven’t been looking for any….. I wonder if they still make them.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember back in the 50’s and 60’s the “Paint by the Numbers” canvas that you could buy at the dime stores back then. I’ve not seen anything like them these days; however I haven’t been looking for any….. I wonder if they still make them.

Yes, they do. The Crafts dept. at Walmart has them. Do you remember those posters that we colored ourselves? Some were huge and some small but I loved those things. I used felt tip pens to color and had every color made. I had so many I had them sorted out in plastic boxes according to color. lol One summer, in Alaska, I did 27 of those things! I'm pretty sure they don't make those anymore and I look everywhere I go including the craft stores. None to be found. I AM going to get an adult coloring book. I find it very relaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation