Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:20 AM

4,961 posts, read 3,320,683 times

Advertisements

I did adult coloring before the term or the books became commercial hype and fashionable. Dover publications always had coloring books. I have their floral one and I get their newsletter with links to their free Dover sampler. You can print out a drawing and color it. I have been doing that for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 AM

4,961 posts, read 3,320,683 times
Search adult coloring books there are several pages on all sorts of themed coloring books store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-adult-coloring-books.html]

For coloring materials I use Art Supplies & Craft Materials At Low Prices | ArtiFolk
USA places like Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials or Art Supplies and Materials at Jerry's Artarama

Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 PM

61 posts, read 56,909 times
I got one for my mother. Its one of the most popular item on amazon, so apparently lots of people like it.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,171,086 times
I've been looking at these books. I've found them in Michaels and in Books a Million. I'm thinking of asking someone for them for Christmas. I used to love paint by numbers as a kid. Maybe again? I also do *** saw puzzles, which I love to do and put in the same category of being able to be absorbed in some activity that is calming, quiet. I got a couple big ones for Christmas last year I've yet to do.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,008,497 times
I think I could like that. It does sound relaxing.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
I got the Cats coloring book and bought colored pencils at Hobby Lobby. My concern is I wet the pencil with my tongue and I am thinking I might get lead poisoning doing this. Anyone else? Maybe colored pens (sharpees?) would work. Also, the lines are so hard to stay in but it keeps me from eating at night. Would like to know what other people are using to color.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,735 times
I've been thinking about getting a few books. I saw some at Costco last week. I bet they are all snatched up already.

Amazon has a good selection as well.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I got the Cats coloring book and bought colored pencils at Hobby Lobby. My concern is I wet the pencil with my tongue and I am thinking I might get lead poisoning doing this. Anyone else? Maybe colored pens (sharpees?) would work. Also, the lines are so hard to stay in but it keeps me from eating at night. Would like to know what other people are using to color.
Pretty sure pencils no longer contain lead and haven't for a long time...

Old 11-29-2015, 12:49 AM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Search adult coloring books there are several pages on all sorts of themed coloring books store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-adult-coloring-books.html]

For coloring materials I use Art Supplies & Craft Materials At Low Prices | ArtiFolk
USA places like Art Supplies from Dick Blick Art Materials or Art Supplies and Materials at Jerry's Artarama
Thanks, my nearest Blick Art Suppy store is 40 min away & that's a small location. If I drive an hour, there's a few more, larger ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
...Also, the lines are so hard to stay in but it keeps me from eating at night. Would like to know what other people are using to color.
Yes, I don't like how most adult/grown-up coloring books are so intricate w/ tiny coloring spaces as I mentioned before, but the 3 I got have bigger spaces to color (posted them back on page 1 too).

The media I have are these three:

Prismacolor soft colored pencils (pricey):
Prismacolor Colored Pencils | Soft Core Drawing Pencil Sets

Gelly Roll® Classic™ Medium Point (pricey):
Sakura Of America

20-Pack Classic brush tip markers (cheap):
Sargent Art

These seem good too, which my mom uses for her coloring:

Staedtler Mars Triangular EZ Grip Colored Pencil Assorted (24 Color) (moderately priced):
Amazon.com: Staedtler Mars Triangular EZ Grip Colored Pencil Assorted (24 Color) (1): Office Products

Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
I use a combination of Crayola pencils and Sharpie pens. The pens have more vibrant colours, but tend to "bleed over " into other areas. The Crayola pencils have erasers , so errors are easily corrected.

Right now I have two books that I am working my way through. One is Celtic designs, and the other is floral designs. During the warm weather here in Toronto, I like to sit out on my front porch and colour for a hour or two, each afternoon. It faces south so the sun is on it all day long.

Some body gave me some coloured pastels, but I haven't gotten around to using them yet.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation