Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 04:12 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times

Advertisements

Wow, you learn a LOT about people by their pickleball playing. What's up with people who have to analyze every bad shot they make to justify their bad playing? Self absorbed? Insecure. I truly don't care if you make a bad shot. I will play with you if you are a decent person.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 04:44 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Wow, you learn a LOT about people by their pickleball playing. What's up with people who have to analyze every bad shot they make to justify their bad playing? Self absorbed? Insecure. I truly don't care if you make a bad shot. I will play with you if you are a decent person.

Discuss.
I am very late to the party here but had to look up to see if there was actually a Pickleball thread. I'm fairly new to Pickleball. Played lots of tennis in college (loved it) and from the sounds of it PB would be right up my alley....I really like this game!!!!

But speaking of psycho players.....I played today and got bent out of shape over a couple of things. I feel bad about this and feel like I am either a bad sport or just wrapped too tight and am not very neighborly.

1) Some of the more experienced players (3.0 and above) were playing in the 2.0-50 scheduled segment.
Some of these players are just slammers. Every shot is hot, fast, and you have no chance of returning a shot unless you're lightening fast and at their level. If the more experienced people are playing on opposite teams with players with less experience, they still play this hotshot game and will often just hit between themselves, like you can tell they are specifically playing to the other experienced player. I feel like I might be a bad sport because I expect that they might play a bit gentler with people they know are not as experienced as they are. Perhaps I am bent out of shape because I am not as good, am competitive myself, and have an expectation that I'd at least be able to play a few shots with the experienced people.

2) People don't sign up on Scheduler. Or they sign up but show up one hour into the 2-hour session and then interrupt everyone getting set up, dragging nets to make another court or, like today, bring guests who could not play but had their own court for well over an hour because they would not/could not rotate between games. The regular who brought the family also brings a nephew who is a tennis instructor. I was again annoyed because four of them got their own court to play on while the rest of us rotated and that didn't seem fair. It's chaotic and disruptive and I don't like it.

The facility that 'hosts' these games is a community center but has only marginal staff......who open and close the place, clean up, collect $$, etc. They don't seem to have any rules or customs for PB play. On the scheduler the games are designated by level. On the community center website, the time slots are designated as 'pick up games' (no level indicated) and a couple of slots described as advanced. There are two during the week 'learn to play PB.'

Do I just need to get over it? or, as I did for the last half hour, when I was asked if I wanted to rotate in, I said I would prefer to play with folks a bit more at my level since some of the players were clearly much better than me. Don't get me wrong....I am learning with every game, but i don't find it fun when someone is just running me around the court. I also think it's unreasonable for me to expect people to play a less competitive game because I'm relatively new.
I can't believe I spent so much time talking about this stupid topic. Clearly I need an attitude adjustment.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:49 PM

5,980 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Riley,

I suggest that you look around your area for a place with several pickleball courts. Usually, they will set aside a small number of the courts for the beginner players. If you can't find that, then try to find some other beginners in your area and agree with them to meet and play at a certain time. That way, you'll be playing with players of similar skill level.

Yes, it's frustrating when the better players show off their skills on you (a newbie), but don't let it get you down. Keep practicing and playing and you'll get better and can then compete with the better players.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Riley,

I suggest that you look around your area for a place with several pickleball courts. Usually, they will set aside a small number of the courts for the beginner players. If you can't find that, then try to find some other beginners in your area and agree with them to meet and play at a certain time. That way, you'll be playing with players of similar skill level.

Yes, it's frustrating when the better players show off their skills on you (a newbie), but don't let it get you down. Keep practicing and playing and you'll get better and can then compete with the better players.

Thank you Chase. Boy, that was some rant I went on last night. I decided I will skip playing this week partly because I am really sore from being run around the court but also to adjust my attitude. I swim, too and will focus on that this week.
There is another indoor facility I can try but it does cost more. And of course, it's crowded. Come summer, I'll travel further to find an outdoor site. Agree that finding a group of like-minded players to play with is a good idea. They are there. I will have to see if they feel the same way I do and would like to play at a more moderate pace.

We do have multiple courts at this facility, but only occasionally are any designated for beginner. On the scheduler, the advanced people now come earlier for their play....but the later session is also marked for "2.5-5.0 - beginner to intermediate) but it seems to me that might be too wide a spread.

thank you for your encouragement.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:08 AM

5,980 posts, read 3,720,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Thank you Chase. Boy, that was some rant I went on last night. I decided I will skip playing this week partly because I am really sore from being run around the court but also to adjust my attitude. I swim, too and will focus on that this week.
There is another indoor facility I can try but it does cost more. And of course, it's crowded. Come summer, I'll travel further to find an outdoor site. Agree that finding a group of like-minded players to play with is a good idea. They are there. I will have to see if they feel the same way I do and would like to play at a more moderate pace.

We do have multiple courts at this facility, but only occasionally are any designated for beginner. On the scheduler, the advanced people now come earlier for their play....but the later session is also marked for "2.5-5.0 - beginner to intermediate) but it seems to me that might be too wide a spread.

thank you for your encouragement.
Laying off for a week might be good for an attitude adjustment and to put the game into perspective. I know that it's hard to deal with losing, but keep in mind that in every game, there's going to be a loser as far as score is concerned, but there doesn't have to be a "loser" as far as improving skills and enjoyment of the game are concerned.

So, when you play the game, try to have some goal in mind in addition to winning. For example, try to concentrate on placing your shots on your returns. Don't just try to hit it "somewhere" over the net. Try to hit the ball to a strategic spot that will make it more difficult for your opponent to return the ball. A well-placed shot is often more effective than a smash that may be in an easy location for the opponent to return.

So, even if you lose the score game, you can still win by gaining more skills and knowledge about strategy and shot placement which will make you a better player. If you smile when you win, then try to show that same smile when you come out on the lower end of the score. Other people will appreciate that, but more importantly, YOU will be happier about your own game. It's a "Win-Win" that way.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:23 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Sounds like you need to find new partners to play with

Old 02-19-2024, 01:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I dunno. The guys that play pool with my husband all analyze their missed shots. Nothing nefarious or narcissistic, they are doing it to learn and improve their skills.

I do the same when playing racquetball.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Laying off for a week might be good for an attitude adjustment and to put the game into perspective. I know that it's hard to deal with losing, but keep in mind that in every game, there's going to be a loser as far as score is concerned, but there doesn't have to be a "loser" as far as improving skills and enjoyment of the game are concerned.

So, when you play the game, try to have some goal in mind in addition to winning. For example, try to concentrate on placing your shots on your returns. Don't just try to hit it "somewhere" over the net. Try to hit the ball to a strategic spot that will make it more difficult for your opponent to return the ball. A well-placed shot is often more effective than a smash that may be in an easy location for the opponent to return.

So, even if you lose the score game, you can still win by gaining more skills and knowledge about strategy and shot placement which will make you a better player. If you smile when you win, then try to show that same smile when you come out on the lower end of the score. Other people will appreciate that, but more importantly, YOU will be happier about your own game. It's a "Win-Win" that way.

I cannot argue with any of this Chas......and I do always express appreciation for a fun game....even if I get my arse handed to me. I am at the level you describe....trying to play my shots well, trying to get up to the kitchen line, where I am told this game should be played, and being able to maneuver to a shot that might get passed me.

Spoke to a woman at bowling who told me about another place to play.....it's a drive for me, but maybe come the thaw that will be an option.

Agree a week off will help my mindset.

Old 02-19-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I dunno. The guys that play pool with my husband all analyze their missed shots. Nothing nefarious or narcissistic, they are doing it to learn and improve their skills.

I do the same when playing racquetball.
I do the same in PB, too.....particularly when I miss a shot, I try to think about what my error was. I don't agonize over it, though. I am still learning. I know what I need to learn and feel that a more moderately paced game, at least now, will help me develop those skills

Old 02-19-2024, 03:37 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
I quit playing pickleball because of the players. Actually quit it twice, first quit because of rudeness that took the fun out then after 2 years decided to try again. Different people, same bad behavior. so I quit permanently.

I was a very good pickleball player who does not like cheaters or people who try to get around the rules set up by the county gym for playing pickleball. When it's your turn you play with whoever is up next on the court. You don't get to play with your friends, if you want to do that there are other places for you to go.

I played tennis for 20+ years and there is some of the same behavior in tennis but it was much more on display in pickleball, probably because pickleball was at a county rec center and anyone could play for $3 a session.

Next town over the outdoor pickleball courts and players caused so many problems that the county was discussing closing the outdoor courts down or moving them (huge expense) to less populated area. The people using the courts were mostly not homeowners whose taxes paid for the courts, the players were mostly vacationers, renting and wanting recreation.
They played outside of posted hours, parked on the grass because there was not enough parking right next to the courts, the noise upset nearby homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness