Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 03:56 PM

9,445 posts, read 5,208,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I quit playing pickleball because of the players. Actually quit it twice, first quit because of rudeness that took the fun out then after 2 years decided to try again. Different people, same bad behavior. so I quit permanently.

I was a very good pickleball player who does not like cheaters or people who try to get around the rules set up by the county gym for playing pickleball. When it's your turn you play with whoever is up next on the court. You don't get to play with your friends, if you want to do that there are other places for you to go.

I played tennis for 20+ years and there is some of the same behavior in tennis but it was much more on display in pickleball, probably because pickleball was at a county rec center and anyone could play for $3 a session.

Next town over the outdoor pickleball courts and players caused so many problems that the county was discussing closing the outdoor courts down or moving them (huge expense) to less populated area. The people using the courts were mostly not homeowners whose taxes paid for the courts, the players were mostly vacationers, renting and wanting recreation.
They played outside of posted hours, parked on the grass because there was not enough parking right next to the courts, the noise upset nearby homeowners.
I hope it doesn't get to that for me. I have some options for different locations. I also think the facility is not well run and no one has really laid down any rules for play, rotation, etc. It's usually a free for all, they change up how we rotate, or when it's busy, how we 'line up' to be next to play.

I played tennis in college and really loved it so PB seemed like a good activity for me.

Funny story: playing one time during the holiday and some Canadians showed up (they were visiting someone who lived locally). And this is not a DIS on all Canadians! . One woman, maybe in her thirties, hogged the entire court, playing like she thought she was at Wimbledon and I literally didn't get one opportunity to score a point and I'm not even sure I got in a few hits. She scored all 11 points!!! I was standing in the middle of the court just dazed. LOL. It was crazy.

Sorry it was spoiled for you Twinkle, but I get exactly what you are saying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I dunno. The guys that play pool with my husband all analyze their missed shots. Nothing nefarious or narcissistic, they are doing it to learn and improve their skills.

I do the same when playing racquetball.

I do the same in table tennis. But not during play.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:08 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Wow, you learn a LOT about people by their pickleball playing. What's up with people who have to analyze every bad shot they make to justify their bad playing? Self absorbed? Insecure. I truly don't care if you make a bad shot. I will play with you if you are a decent person.

Discuss.
I am not sure what you mean. They have a bad shot and then then don't continue on until after they justified their bad shot? Never heard such thing other than saying "my bad" or "oh crap, should have done ... instead."

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am not sure what you mean. They have a bad shot and then then don't continue on until after they justified their bad shot? Never heard such thing other than saying "my bad" or "oh crap, should have done ... instead."

I don't see anything wrong with it.
Pretty much.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

7,122 posts, read 12,659,449 times
I tried pickle ball. But found it too aggressive and fast moving for me...I do like table tennis, though.

But greatly prefer yoga, cycling, walking and doing a round of the machines at the gym. Quirt, more gentle pursuits suit me better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness