Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to the springs today?
yes 21 60.00%
no 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 09:20 PM

334 posts, read 520,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
There are places in Colorado that offer classic Colorado without the downside of the front range.
Would you mind expanding on that a bit? It got my curiosity up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 01:18 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I lived there when I first moved to Colorado. It’s an odd mix: military, religion, tech, tourism. I enjoyed it, but would never move back. Why? Some of the charm is gone. It’s has gotten way busier and more Denver ish without the better restaurants.
There are places in Colorado that offer classic Colorado without the downside of the front range.
Busier, yes. But in no way does it compare to Denver. I very rarely have need to go to the northeast side of town, but did recently. It seems like it's so far away (from the west side), but it really isn't. That kind of treeless sprawl is not my cup of tea, but if it was like driving in Denver, I'd never go near it.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:09 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,164,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngigi View Post
Busier, yes. But in no way does it compare to Denver. I very rarely have need to go to the northeast side of town, but did recently. It seems like it's so far away (from the west side), but it really isn't. That kind of treeless sprawl is not my cup of tea, but if it was like driving in Denver, I'd never go near it.
Agreed. There's really no comparison between the busyness and traffic of Denver and that of the Springs.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:41 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,857,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Agreed. There's really no comparison between the busyness and traffic of Denver and that of the Springs.
Especially with that 14,000 foot mountain in view ... no matter where I am in the Springs, I know I can zigzag my way back to the west side as long as I have Pikes Peak in my sights. I've been in neighborhoods I've had to meander around in to get out of, but have never gotten completely lost. I have been completely lost in Denver, and it's not fun.

There is no comparison, and hopefully it stays this way.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:00 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
Yes , when my ex wife pays me back ....................crickets

Old 05-08-2023, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 938 times
Talking Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Hi all, I'm still in the researching info phase of wanting to move out there, I watch a lot of YouTube videos that say it's a great place to live. I've seen comments on those videos from people that live there (as well as comments on here) that say to avoid it.

any thoughts and comments are welcome, thanks all

I moved to Kona Hawaii 4 years ago and have just recently moved back. I love the outdoors and enjoy them almost every day. There are so many places to play and explore. I bought a place downtown and am within a few minutes of trails, shopping, restaurants, and attractions. The medical care here is fantastic, people are friendly. There are over 300 sunny days a year, what more could you ask for?

Old 05-09-2023, 09:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I'm reading all these responses with interest because I have also been considering a move to COS to be near my oldest and to get away from the heat and humidity of SW Fla. However, the wind is a concern as is the cost of living. Then, as someone mentioned, you have the long winters with everything brown and I hesitate to make such a major move at my age (68). While I'm still healthy and would love the hiking, etc. in that area I'm just not sure if I want to go back to snow tires, shoveling the snow, winterizing my home and basically just reestablishing myself in a different part of the country. I'm still on the fence but leaning more towards staying put or moving to someplace like Virginia.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:57 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm reading all these responses with interest because I have also been considering a move to COS to be near my oldest and to get away from the heat and humidity of SW Fla. However, the wind is a concern as is the cost of living. Then, as someone mentioned, you have the long winters with everything brown and I hesitate to make such a major move at my age (68). While I'm still healthy and would love the hiking, etc. in that area I'm just not sure if I want to go back to snow tires, shoveling the snow, winterizing my home and basically just reestablishing myself in a different part of the country. I'm still on the fence but leaning more towards staying put or moving to someplace like Virginia.
I didn't find the snow to be that much of a concern. A few days a year, mostly melted away by itself...although humdinger storms are possible.

The elevation was concern #1 for me. Fire threat a close second. And wind another. After 8 years I finally surrendered to the "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" scenario.

Old 05-09-2023, 04:46 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I didn't find the snow to be that much of a concern. A few days a year, mostly melted away by itself...although humdinger storms are possible.

The elevation was concern #1 for me. Fire threat a close second. And wind another. After 8 years I finally surrendered to the "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" scenario.
Couple of good points here! I lived in the Springs as a kid from 1956-1964, lived in the Cragmor area on North Weber.

When I moved to Mesa County in 1994, the elevation dropped by nearly a thousand feet, I'm at 4450 ft.

Humdinger storms in the Grand Valley aren't a lot, the most snow we ever get here is no more than 6 inches or so in one days time. But the fires? Yep, it's been 3 years since the Pine Gulch fire north of GJ took out 139,000 acres. The winds were clipping along at 35-40 m.p.h. for several days. It was worrisome, damn worrisome.

At 72, I really would rather not relocate but have thought about it a lot. At my age, the only things I want out of daily life is a good nights sleep and not be ****ed with by gangs as that is what drove me out of Littleton (now known as Centennial) in 1993.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:19 PM

334 posts, read 520,143 times
It looks like the "yes's" have it, but not by the margin I thought. Still, it's good to know the majority would move there.

Thanks for the input all, keep it coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs