Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to the springs today?
yes 21 60.00%
no 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 04:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Absolutely. I've lived here since 1972 & I've seen all the changes, including the massive population boom. I prefer the older neighborhoods over the northeast sprawl. I hike in the mountains everyday. Garden of the Gods is just a few miles from me & I live only blocks from Palmer Park. Five minutes in the car & I can be in a cave (lol I do that a lot) or in a deep forest, yet I'm still inside city limits.
That is one of the things we most miss. I could get off work, pick wife and kids at the house, grab some sandwiches and be having a little hike and picnic in one of the parks by 5. Even though we live rural now, getting to some good hiking is an hour and half away so not something you can do on the spur of the moment after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 03:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Now just to mention ...I know people that had to move because the summer smoke from fires was too
much for their health ---lungs. But, they love and miss Col.
Last summer was not too bad.
I wonder if all this snow will help also, crossing fingers!

Old 03-24-2023, 09:05 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now just to mention ...I know people that had to move because the summer smoke from fires was too
much for their health ---lungs. But, they love and miss Col.
Last summer was not too bad.
I wonder if all this snow will help also, crossing fingers!
I'm hoping for the same. We've actually had a cold winter this year, and statewide snowpack is at 142%. That's pretty good.

That said, I cannot wait for warm weather. We've had just enough teaser days to make me think it's around the corner, and then we get forecasts like this weekend's.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:49 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Just made this decision 2 weeks ago - decided not to settle down in the Springs for a several reasons.

I grew up in COS but lived elsewhere for the most part after college graduation 7 years ago. I went remote in Oct last year and settled with the parents over the holidays on my move from the east back out west. I got a feel for the city again, but couldn't get attracted enough to sign a lease here and stick around - given that there were other options.

My immediate family is all in the Springs, I did want to be within driving distance of them, but they are the religious fanatics - so too close and you get questioned why you weren't at church on wednesday and 2x on Sunday...

About the area, what I would have wanted is to be on the outskirts / exurb of the metro, but all the surrounding areas: Woodland Park, Black Forest, Palmer Lake, Canon City... demographically aren't the most exciting place for a 29 guy. Black Forest is a nice area, but going to Black Rose for live music, everyone is my parents age, I was one of the few people without grey hair.

In town, west of I 25 is nice, but there's hardly any rentals available and they are pretty darn pricey. East is affordable and has options, but I just can't get excited about the Powers Corridor. The city is just exploding, but it's getting more and more classic American suburbia in nature with all the new development. I don't know what the deal is, but Colorado Springs has the palate of a 4 year old - the amount of chicken finger and hamburger restaurants is pretty disturbing.

Socially, I had mixed feelings. I liked the variety of people and outlooks and the level of activity, it's better than the Denver booze laden homogeneity. But the military has a very strong presence - especially in the 20s-30s age range. This means people are more transient and the gender ratio is around 120 males per 100 females for el paso county in that age range. Career wise, there's not really much benefit to being in the area as the job market is still so heavily dependent on security clearance for anything tech (my industry).

Taos, where I'm going, had more positives IMO. Better outdoor rec and scenery, for the simple fact that every direction has outdoor opportunity instead of just west into the foothills or up hwy 24. Sunsets are better than sunrises , so the mountains to the east is nice. Weather is better as there's less wind and hail - though the rest is actually pretty similar. It's amazing being on Pikes Peak how wind whipped the trees are compared to other mountain areas in the Rockies.

It reminds me of what I'd imagine Colorado Springs to be like 100 years ago, a small town in a nice valley next to a big peak. With crime and income ratings, it's worse than COS, but the social liveliness, uniqueness, better COL make up for it.

About the fires, I don't think we're gonna have the bad seasons that we had previously, that was some pretty extreme weather and stupid arsons during a triple La Nina. It's shifting to El Nino for a while now.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:03 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think OP will like the gender ratio in Taos- lots of artists and Santa Fe refugees, i think. Might want to be open to a somewhat older demographic. Taos is beautiful.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:00 AM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think OP will like the gender ratio in Taos- lots of artists and Santa Fe refugees, i think. Might want to be open to a somewhat older demographic. Taos is beautiful.
The gender ratio is irrelevant, it would be my wife and I and in our mid 40's.

A quick Google shows it is too small for me and too far from a decent size city

The suggestion is appreciated though

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-30-2023 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Typo: fixed 'gener' to 'gender'

Old 04-04-2023, 08:16 AM

114 posts, read 241,203 times
My first go around here about 10 months in and I love it. The setting below the mountains make me feel lucky to be here. The challenge is getting to know people. But I also think social aspects are changing with the times and are not always related to geography.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:42 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
I lived there when I first moved to Colorado. It’s an odd mix: military, religion, tech, tourism. I enjoyed it, but would never move back. Why? Some of the charm is gone. It’s has gotten way busier and more Denver ish without the better restaurants.
There are places in Colorado that offer classic Colorado without the downside of the front range.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:47 AM

202 posts, read 147,323 times
I grew up in Colorado Springs and lived there from 1977 to 1990. Unfortunately my family moved to CA after my freshman year at Air Academy, and I was not happy. I always wanted to get back to CO and finally, after 26 years in the CA and AZ deserts, we moved back in 2019. I would have loved to move back to the Springs, but I found a job in Denver so we moved to the burbs south of Denver instead. I still love the Springs and we visit there at least once a month.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:10 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
In the end, moving here six years ago was probably not the best choice for us. Our original decision was based too much on summer visits through the years and the perceived convenience of living in a big city vs a smaller town. There is much to like but the persistent wind that has leveled trees and fences in our yard along with six months of brown is tiresome. Many here seem stuck in some other decade culturally. City planning is just plain weird and emphasis seems to be on new vs taking care or redeveloping inner areas. No regrets but ready to sell and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs