Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 03:09 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

Someone not in Charleston is quoted in this article as saying that smart people are moving to Charleston figuring they can land a job once they get here, and that that’s where a lot of Charleston’s growth has come from, and that Columbia wants to raise its profile to close the gap in that market. Thoughts?

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...eLKMDIUauHDE2s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 04:03 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Someone not in Charleston is quoted in this article as saying that smart people are moving to Charleston figuring they can land a job once they get here, and that that’s where a lot of Charleston’s growth has come from, and that Columbia wants to raise its profile to close the gap in that market. Thoughts?

I'd love to see any data that supports that point. I constantly read Reddit where people moved here thinking they were going to get a great job and found the competition very tough.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:32 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I'd love to see any data that supports that point. I constantly read Reddit where people moved here thinking they were going to get a great job and found the competition very tough.
"A number of partners — including the economic development offices of Richland County, Lexington County, and the City of Columbia; the CentralSC Alliance; the University of South Carolina; Midlands Technical College; the South Carolina Research Authority; and the I-77 Economic Development Alliance — came together to fund a $250,000 study on how the Columbia area could become more competitive in attracting high-paying tech and knowledge economy jobs.
The study — conducted by global consulting firm Deloitte — will be used to help guide economic development efforts in the Columbia area, especially as it relates to luring technology firms and other knowledge-based jobs. The plan was discussed at a Dec. 17 meeting of Columbia City Council’s economic and community development committee.

The consultants identified a number of challenges Columbia faces in landing the kind of innovative jobs that help infuse wealth into the local economy. For instance, it found that Columbia is simply not known for attracting and retaining knowledge-based talent."

With that kind of circular logic, I'd ask for my money back.

I've not spent much time in Columbia (and it's been years) but I didn't find much to interest me in going back. I've heard the same from others as well. There needs to be something to build on to start attracting people and get some momentum going. Charleston has the beaches/ocean, history, Spoleto Festival, and has built upon that with first class restaurants and other tourist related hooks like the Wildlife Exposition, Family Cup and a never ending run of lesser festivals: Blues, Film, Oysters, Shrimp and the enigmatic Holiday Festival Of Lights at the James Island County Park.(I've never understood the attraction)

I personally think Charleston owes Gian Carlo Menotti a big thank you. He started the first Spoleto Festival here in '77 (6 years before I got here) and while it struggled in the beginning, it helped put Charleston on the map in the world of arts and culture and drew the attention of NY city and the like. Mayor Riley also deserves a lot of credit for shepherding Charleston through that period of growth and discovery. He became mayor in '75 and while I don't think anyone likes everything he did, his vision did a lot towards keeping the city vibrant and healthy through the naval base closing, Hugo, etc. He was mayor for 40 years!
Basically, Charleston didn't become one of the top destinations overnight and it took a lot of things coming together for it to happen. Columbia can start to build on what it has to offer, but it's going to take time and dedication to change the current vibe and perspective. I read an article recently about some cities that are offering bright young workers cash to come live in their city. Tulsa is the only one I remember mentioned but one recipient was given $10,000 to move there. Maybe that's something Columbia should consider... sort of paying to become cool.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:46 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
They can pay me 250k and I'll tell them what they need to do

Old 12-22-2020, 06:30 AM

They need to tame the wilderness on the Congaree River between Gervais Street and Granby Park and tie the greenway into the Vista, and “pedestrianize” Assembly Street and voila - everything will begin to fall into place. In the meantime, Columbia deserves a lot of credit for its Main Street and CBD transformation.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:36 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
The consultants identified a number of challenges Columbia faces in landing the kind of innovative jobs that help infuse wealth into the local economy. For instance, it found that Columbia is simply not known for attracting and retaining knowledge-based talent."

With that kind of circular logic, I'd ask for my money back.

I don't fine it circular logic. You want to increase attracting and retaining knowledge-based talent, but it's valid to point out that part of the issue is you don't have a reputation for this kind of work. People in that line of work don't naturally think of Columbia like they think of Atlanta, Raleigh, Seattle, etc.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I don't fine it circular logic. You want to increase attracting and retaining knowledge-based talent, but it's valid to point out that part of the issue is you don't have a reputation for this kind of work. People in that line of work don't naturally think of Columbia like they think of Atlanta, Raleigh, Seattle, etc.
I see it like this:

"Why don't we have more knowledge based talent?"
"Because you're not known for having knowledge based talent."
"Why aren't we known for having knowledge based talent?"
"Because you don't have much knowledge based talent."

I think Columbia just needs to do whatever it can to make itself more attractive so people want to live there. A combination of appealing lifestyle and lower cost I'd imagine and hopefully the Deloitte study will help them figure out how to do that.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:54 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,602 times
They said it was one of the things identified by Deloitte. Deloitte isn’t a company that is known for doing shabby work.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
They said it was one of the things identified by Deloitte. Deloitte isn’t a company that is known for doing shabby work.
Yeah, I'm aware of who Deloitte is. I was just referencing the bit I highlighted in the quote from the article. I intended it as a lighthearted comment, not a condemnation of Deloitte as a company. Maybe it was just a poor choice of quotes for the article to use but I saw it (and still see it) as circular logic.

I gave a couple of paragraphs of my thoughts on the original topic and hope the best for Columbia and Deloitte. That one quip shouldn't outweigh the gist of my post.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 AM

How might King Street adopt this way of thinking? Right now, it seems to me that Greenville and Columbia’s Main streets are a step closer in this direction than King.

https://www.treehugger.com/time-to-r...Yp3NlF4-AotuVI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area