Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will California run out of water?
Yes by 2025 or sooner 5 16.67%
Yes by 2030 3 10.00%
No, California will find a way around this 16 53.33%
Not sure 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 04:14 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
10% decrease by 2040?? Has no one noticed Lake Mead and water restrictions everywhere? Things are a lot worse then what he’s lying about and they’re starting to sweat. Hopefully he actually will bypass committee’s and panels and actually DO SOMETHING but nah it’ll never happen.

The desalination plant that was planned for 20 years in Huntington Beach just got canceled a few months ago by conservationists. Need I write more???
Yeah he's a bit late late on this. IF he actually does anything, great, but it'll probably be just like all his other initiatives. Put together a "task force" that does nothing and goes nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 04:29 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Or perhaps the case will be water where we don't want it......or maybe not the case

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disaster-...204541985.html

Old 08-14-2022, 04:45 PM

15,418 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
No. I'm saying there's no reason to switch to something else because the entire argument against growing almonds (and other things) is flawed in the first place. And I'm saying there's no need to change since the industry is allowed to choose their method of making a profit and getting the best bang for their buck from their investment.

The reason we export so many almonds is because we grow the world's supply of them. So that business about supporting China isn't going to fly either. Also, it's a global economy so...
One option is to grow nothing where the almonds now grow. There's no requirement that any of the almond farmers be allowed to use water at all.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:19 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,386,044 times
80% water for human use goes to agriculture vs 20% for everything else including the 40 million CA people and 100 million tourists.. imagine if taking 20% from agriculture to 60%. That can support 80 million residents and 200 million tourists. But even with 80 million, too crowded with high rises and few lawns and pools.

I vote for CA will find a way. It will be expensive to create and build new infrastructure. For example, to capture rain water and clean then store water before it emptied to the ocean. Massive cisterns would need to be built nearby city rivers. Japan has these 100ft cisterns to control floods. We need that in California.

Recycle the treatment plant wastewater to replenish the ground water that many cities use a fraction of ground water as their water supply. Imagine year round water supply by ground water recycling.

More conservation incentives. Every house have rooftop capture systems that can be used to water plants of replenish groundwater in drier weeks. R3duce lawns but increase tree planting and native plants.

Capture fog moisture, june gloom water. It may not seem a lot but 20 gallons is significant with millions of homes.

Desalination plants can built but not be the primary source for now. Desalination is expensive and not as useful in non drought years. You wouldn't use Desalination water for agriculture. Or else crops would be expensive and unsellable.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
80% water for human use goes to agriculture vs 20% for everything else including the 40 million CA people and 100 million tourists.. imagine if taking 20% from agriculture to 60%. That can support 80 million residents and 200 million tourists. But even with 80 million, too crowded with high rises and few lawns and pools.

I vote for CA will find a way. It will be expensive to create and build new infrastructure. For example, to capture rain water and clean then store water before it emptied to the ocean. Massive cisterns would need to be built nearby city rivers. Japan has these 100ft cisterns to control floods. We need that in California.

Recycle the treatment plant wastewater to replenish the ground water that many cities use a fraction of ground water as their water supply. Imagine year round water supply by ground water recycling.

More conservation incentives. Every house have rooftop capture systems that can be used to water plants of replenish groundwater in drier weeks. R3duce lawns but increase tree planting and native plants.

Capture fog moisture, june gloom water. It may not seem a lot but 20 gallons is significant with millions of homes.

Desalination plants can built but not be the primary source for now. Desalination is expensive and not as useful in non drought years. You wouldn't use Desalination water for agriculture. Or else crops would be expensive and unsellable.

I agree, Desal should be the last option. The other things you outlined here should work, especially capturing rainwater. They do it on the east coast well. I already have a rain barrel, maybe I'll get another.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,203 times
I predict 2022/2023 we will be dealing with El Nino' in California.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:37 PM

467 posts, read 777,897 times
Not quite sure what it means to "run out of water" in a practical sense. We haven't even started the dystopian period where you see a bunch of city people towing little water tank trailers up into the mountains to pump from creeks/rivers/lakes. And that period is going to last for a really long time, decades, or even longer. Individuals have had their wells run dry, but that's a far cry from the state running out of water. People are drilling a thousand feet in Arizona and still not hitting water, yet, they have water and are still building homes. We will certainly continue to have problems for sure and some people will continue to run out of water, but I think it will be well beyond our lifetimes before we can say that the state has run out of water.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:51 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,203 times
Well, I predicted El Nino for 2023 and low and behold...we have a lot of water after all the rain we have had. Reservoirs are running over and it's so good to see. We go through cycles in California.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Well, I predicted El Nino for 2023 and low and behold...we have a lot of water after all the rain we have had. Reservoirs are running over and it's so good to see. We go through cycles in California.
Good one. Too bad we let so much of it go right out to sea

Old 01-18-2023, 08:00 PM

612 posts, read 352,200 times
Not if we build desalination plants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California