Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will California run out of water?
Yes by 2025 or sooner 5 16.67%
Yes by 2030 3 10.00%
No, California will find a way around this 16 53.33%
Not sure 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 08:35 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're saying, that the only way farmers can support their families, is by growing almonds?

No. I'm saying there's no reason to switch to something else because the entire argument against growing almonds (and other things) is flawed in the first place. And I'm saying there's no need to change since the industry is allowed to choose their method of making a profit and getting the best bang for their buck from their investment.

The reason we export so many almonds is because we grow the world's supply of them. So that business about supporting China isn't going to fly either. Also, it's a global economy so...

Last edited by joosoon; 06-18-2022 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 08:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its interesting though most communities in CA never suffered through rolling water outages like they do rolling power blackouts despite all that fear talk , but some places in other parts of the country and world does even though they may get more ran. In those places most buildings need and are equipped with their own water storage tanks, in larger buildings on rooftops in houses free standing.

I read our southern neighborhor had suffered serious water outage for the TJ area the largest metro in Baja California twice last decade. I guess they really need water storage there too.

Give it a minute. I'm sure the state can accommodate your wishes.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:02 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
I did hear some rural communities or farming communities running completely out of water in the last drought in CA even ones with senior water rights. Not only their crops wittered they had issues with domestic water use as well. But most of the population were spared fortunately on that drought.

I be curious though whether California's water supply is actually historically more reliable than some states that get more rain? I.e parts of Texas which it appears water outages are more common there. Or is it really? Water outages do occur should a water main break though but not due to drought.

Interesting they want to further villize disposable items. But not realizing there might not be the water to wash the dishes and utencils in the future.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:20 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
I’m willing to give you all the water and power you can use as long as you keep sending them salty roasted almonds my way. Oh, and that almond milk. Imagine the size of the udders on them lil’ almonds. Sheesh.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I’m willing to give you all the water and power you can use as long as you keep sending them salty roasted almonds my way. Oh, and that almond milk. Imagine the size of the udders on them lil’ almonds. Sheesh.
And you have to crack the shell to get to them. Udderly ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2022, 06:52 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,598 times
They are starting to use produced water from oil production to irrigate agricultural land in the Central Valley.

The water board released a report last year.

From the link:

Quote:
The report, based on five years' work and incomplete in some respects, found no evidence of risks to human health from watering tree nuts, citrus, berries, tubers and other ag products with the saline water that comes up from the ground along with oil and which contains small concentrations of toxic chemicals.
https://www.bakersfield.com/news/stu...796108df8.html

Old 06-19-2022, 08:31 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
)And you have to crack the shell to get to them. Udderly ridiculous.
Let’s milk them for all they are worth.

Old 06-20-2022, 02:52 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
They are starting to use produced water from oil production to irrigate agricultural land in the Central Valley.

The water board released a report last year.

From the link:

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/stu...796108df8.html
This sounds like a terrible idea.
Quote:
with the saline water that comes up from the ground along with oil and which contains small concentrations of toxic chemicals.
They're deliberately solidifying agricultural land? It's a surefire way of killing it, not to mention the toxic chemicals.

Another reason to buy organic.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:40 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
With California enduring historic drought amplified by global warming, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday released a new plan to adapt to the state’s hotter, drier future by capturing and storing more water, recycling more wastewater and desalinating seawater and salty groundwater.

The governor’s new water-supply strategy, detailed in a 16-page document, lays out a series of actions aimed at preparing the state for an estimated 10% decrease in California’s water supply by 2040 because of higher temperatures and decreased runoff. The plan focuses on accelerating infrastructure projects, boosting conservation and upgrading the state’s water system to match the increasing pace of climate change, securing enough water for an estimated 8.4 million households.

Newsom called it “an aggressive plan to rebuild the way we source, store and deliver water so our kids and grandkids can continue to call California home in this hotter, drier climate.”

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...water-supplies

Old 08-11-2022, 04:15 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
With California enduring historic drought amplified by global warming, Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday released a new plan to adapt to the state’s hotter, drier future by capturing and storing more water, recycling more wastewater and desalinating seawater and salty groundwater.

The governor’s new water-supply strategy, detailed in a 16-page document, lays out a series of actions aimed at preparing the state for an estimated 10% decrease in California’s water supply by 2040 because of higher temperatures and decreased runoff. The plan focuses on accelerating infrastructure projects, boosting conservation and upgrading the state’s water system to match the increasing pace of climate change, securing enough water for an estimated 8.4 million households.

Newsom called it “an aggressive plan to rebuild the way we source, store and deliver water so our kids and grandkids can continue to call California home in this hotter, drier climate.”

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...water-supplies
10% decrease by 2040?? Has no one noticed Lake Mead and water restrictions everywhere? Things are a lot worse then what he’s lying about and they’re starting to sweat. Hopefully he actually will bypass committee’s and panels and actually DO SOMETHING but nah it’ll never happen.

The desalination plant that was planned for 20 years in Huntington Beach just got canceled a few months ago by conservationists. Need I write more???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California