Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times

Advertisements

Reading comprehension needs work....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 11:08 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,463,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I completely disagree with your last sentence, how is Newsom going to "look terrible" if he survives the recall?

Because of what I said in all the sentences preceding the last one. His publicists and directors aren't being subtle when it comes to making sure there won't be a Bustamante-type candidate on the ballot. The tactics are very thuggish. It's a bad look. If he's so great and can beat the first question of the recall, why tell guys like Villaraigosa that he will bury their career if they run?

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:
But tell me this, why do you support this recall?

The cliff notes version: Schools.

Maximum verbosity mode:

His awful handling of school closures. Putting the issue on the back burner for nearly a year while he soaked up press time debating trivial issues like beach, bar and nail salons while failing to present an exit strategy for education. His more recent total 180 pivot on what is and isn't important to reopen them --like saying school staff doesn't need to be vaccinated, that elementary can open in quadruple case number 'purple' tier, and attempting to tie funding to hard dates to reopen in an effort to extort districts to craft plans which would have to violate the states own mandates to work. Then there's his total abuse of the ESA which he's being sued for. His ridiculous vaccine stunt and the formation of a committee to doublecheck the findings of the drug makers, FDA and CDC because they couldn't be trusted. The total abandonment of that committee once Trump left office, and their literally useless findings which only echoed the same conclusions of the drug makers, FDA and CDC and then sweeping the whole thing under the rug for an encore (when's the last time he's mentioned the Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup?). His utter lack of consistency in every department he oversees (like the EDD and their scandal) and his insistence as part of his defense of the above mentioned lawsuit that the executive branch is where the buck stops. His not living up to that responsibility by constantly passing the buck where politically expedient which permeates everything he does. And now, his heavy-handed approach to his own party when it comes to challenging him in the recall. Along with insisting that a democratically sound, historically enshrined part of our state government is a "coup" among other things.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:46 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The cliff notes version: Schools.

Maximum verbosity mode:

His awful handling of school closures. Putting the issue on the back burner for nearly a year while he soaked up press time debating trivial issues like beach, bar and nail salons while failing to present an exit strategy for education. His more recent total 180 pivot on what is and isn't important to reopen them --like saying school staff doesn't need to be vaccinated, that elementary can open in quadruple case number 'purple' tier, and attempting to tie funding to hard dates to reopen in an effort to extort districts to craft plans which would have to violate the states own mandates to work. Then there's his total abuse of the ESA which he's being sued for. His ridiculous vaccine stunt and the formation of a committee to doublecheck the findings of the drug makers, FDA and CDC because they couldn't be trusted. The total abandonment of that committee once Trump left office, and their literally useless findings which only echoed the same conclusions of the drug makers, FDA and CDC and then sweeping the whole thing under the rug for an encore (when's the last time he's mentioned the Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup?). His utter lack of consistency in every department he oversees (like the EDD and their scandal) and his insistence as part of his defense of the above mentioned lawsuit that the executive branch is where the buck stops. His not living up to that responsibility by constantly passing the buck where politically expedient which permeates everything he does. And now, his heavy-handed approach to his own party when it comes to challenging him in the recall. Along with insisting that a democratically sound, historically enshrined part of our state government is a "coup" among other things.
I don't think California's approach to opening schools was unique. https://ballotpedia.org/School_respo..._academic_year

As far as the rest of your list, I think you are nit picking. I get it if you just don't like him, that's ok. I am just surprised that your dislike of him leads you to think he should be recalled. I think it's an expensive and dangerous way to get someone out of office. What if we end up with Mike Cernovich, the "Pizzagate Propagandist"? Do we recall him next?

Old 03-29-2021, 11:54 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,930,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Given that we're talking about a deadly pandemic that killed hundreds of hundreds of thousands of lives, it's tasteless and tacky and cringeworthy to criticize a governor who only sought to preserve human life. Gavin Newsom deserves our thanks.

If only the nightmare that was Donald Trump and his idiot, fanatic worshippers had taken this as seriously as Gavin Newsom, no doubt far fewer people would have died.
You missed the boat here totally. He will be recalled. You can leave the pandemic out and he has still failed.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
What if we end up with Mike Cernovich, the "Pizzagate Propagandist"? Do we recall him next?

We won't, but I can guarantee you that if Newsom is recalled, there will be another attempt to recall his replacement. All modern governors of California face them. The fact this one has succeeded to qualify is what sets it apart. As for nitpicking, the school closures affect me on both ends, for both my kids and me and my spouse as employees. If I was nitpicking, I'd be mention French Laundry and his hairdo. The litany of issues I posted may not be real to you, but they are to me. The same goes for everyone who's lost jobs and/or have had their businesses destroyed. I don't think those are petty motivations to remove a governor who is literally ruling by fiat.

And as I've said before, I'm fine with another Democrat. Hell, bring back Brown. He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't this current guy.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:13 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,286,247 times
Quote:
It's funny that you said that, I ran into an old friend who's a retired lobbyist. We started talking about the recall and he said that there's a lot of "dark money" from agriculture interests to get someone in office who could issue an EO to build the two tunnel solution that Trump was insisting on. I'm not sure that would work because it would require large expenditures of money and I would expect that would be up to the California legislature, right? It seems more likely that they would issue orders prohibiting masks or ordering schools to fully open, or if John Cox wins he might issue an order banning gays from teaching because he thinks they will molest children.
One thing this whole pandemic has showed me. The governors have too much emergency powers. That’s nationwide, not just California. I get that the governor is in charge and all, but they need to change some things so they have to get some kind of agreement with the legislature.

When this all stated, Newsom said he had this awesome panel set up with all the former governors, business leaders, etc. we haven’t heard anything about that since day one. It probably would have helped him to have a few news conferences with some of these alleged panel members to show unity. Maybe they did and I just missed it.

One thing I read about the recall was that the other candidates have a limit on what they can spend. There is no limit on the sitting governor, so Newsom can spend as much as he wants.

I still think it will fail, but we’ll see.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:41 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Your idea about the governor (whether it's California or any state) having too much executive power seems to be what the legislators in Sacramento also feel . . . or felt. In the early days of this last year, Newsom was making a lot of decisions on his own while the Assembly members were all sent home. They didn't like him making decisions without consulting with them first. That was in the news for several weeks. Not sure how it panned out but I haven't heard anything since then.

I happen to agree with 2sleepy's lobbyist friend. There's a lot of deep dark dirty money flowing through the state and it's on both sides. Money talks and things will get done unbeknownst to voters. It could explain why politicians end up wealthier after leaving office than they were before entering it.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:00 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,290,883 times
Exactly what I was expecting to find here, pedantic arguments for not recalling newsom. Says a lot when you're resorting to semantics.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,393,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_210 View Post
Exactly what I was expecting to find here, pedantic arguments for not recalling newsom. Says a lot when you're resorting to semantics.
As opposed to what? Your criticism without any analysis at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California