Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Baltimore more of an Internationally influential city or a Nationally influential city?
Baltimore is more of an Internationally influential city (influence/reach felt globally/around the world) 2 3.08%
Baltimore is more of a Nationally influential city (its influence is generally limited to the USA and its territories) 58 89.23%
Both / Other - please include a response 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:10 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I voted for option 2, Baltimore is largely limited to National influence.

I do not mean this in a bad way but Baltimore is overshadowed by its location, right square next to Washington DC and not far from Philadelphia and even New York City.
Yes, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 01:23 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Baltimore used to be one of the most important cities in the country, but those days are long gone. Don't feel bad, this fate has befallen many a city over the years. Charleston, SC was once one of the preeminent cities on the continent and now it's just a regional player. Obviously, Baltimore hasn't fallen that low, but it's the redheaded step-child of Bos-Wash.
Yep, Cincinnati, Cleveland & Buffalo were all top ten cities at one point too, it’s just the way things go. Now everyone is moving down south or out west. Those cities still have character and some great legacy destinations just like Baltimore, just not on the scale as before.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:23 PM

471 posts, read 272,507 times
I love Baltimore and used to live there, but I don't know that it currently has any type of influence on a national level.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I love Baltimore and used to live there, but I don't know that it currently has any type of influence on a national level.
Baltimore biggest influence at this current moment is Music. The biggest artists in the world are using beats that are a direct ripoff of Baltimore’s local music scene.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:10 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I don't think that anyone growing up in the US or elsewhere, sits at their window at night and thinks, "When I grow up I want to move to . . . . . Baltimore. That's where everything is happening."

This reads better if you substitute New York, LA, Boston, Miami, Paris, London, Barcelona, Berlin, . . . .

Old 01-11-2024, 02:20 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't think that anyone growing up in the US or elsewhere, sits at their window at night and thinks, "When I grow up I want to move to . . . . . Baltimore. That's where everything is happening."

This reads better if you substitute New York, LA, Boston, Miami, Paris, London, Barcelona, Berlin, . . . .
Boston is great, but doesn't belong in that sentence lol.

But I get your point, few cities have a natural cachet.

Baltimore has some cool spots and good bones, but is kinda lost in the mix given its location and general stagnation compared to its direct neighbors (DC and Philly).

Old 01-11-2024, 02:23 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

But I get your point, few cities that have a natural cachet without needed to advertise it.

Baltimore has some cool spots and has good bones, but is kinda lost in the mix given its location and general stagnation compared to it's neighbors (DC and Philly). NYC is just an entirely different animal.
There's more wrong with Baltimore than its location or stagnation.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:44 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There's more wrong with Baltimore than its location or stagnation.
Please don't say crime, not when Philly and now DC have more raw homicides, similar non fatal shooting and violent crime rates.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:46 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

But I get your point, few cities have a natural cachet.

Baltimore has some cool spots and good bones, but is kinda lost in the mix given its location and general stagnation compared to its direct neighbors (DC and Philly).
How do you even quantify relevance when it's such a broad term?

It's a loaded question without any context.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:55 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
I used to say Baltimore is the hood culture capital of America before aI moved here.

I wasn't really wrong.., It's relevant in my demogrphic, for sure. But nationally its not super relevant- def not internationally.

It does have a pronounced local non-hood culture that is undervalued
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore