Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Baltimore more of an Internationally influential city or a Nationally influential city?
Baltimore is more of an Internationally influential city (influence/reach felt globally/around the world) 2 3.08%
Baltimore is more of a Nationally influential city (its influence is generally limited to the USA and its territories) 58 89.23%
Both / Other - please include a response 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 10:43 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is relevant depending on what the discussion is. As far as music, specifically Hip-hop concerned, its one of, if not the most influential city in the country right now. As far as health care, Baltimore is always relevant as well. The more you think about it, the more Relevant, recognized, or influential Baltimore becomes. People know what our local cuisine all over the country. They know our accent when they hear it. They know The Wire for better or worse. They know our genre of music, which is ALL OVER THE RADIO right now. Even the Ravens have become media darlings as of late.

Historically, Baltimore will always be influential. I hope that recapture it's former exuberance; it appears to be headed in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 10:54 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Much of this comes down to whether being #20 or #25 makes you influential. Some would count the top 10. Some (not many apparently) would count the top 25.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:26 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
neither lmao. When you ask most people about Baltimore, they bring up The Wire, not a good luck. Most people don't even bring up Baltimore when talking about the northeast megalopolis. DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, don't hear Baltimore too much.

John Hopkins is a top notch university tho.
You're confusing cultural relevance with objective tangible influence.

There wouldn't be medical shock trauma care if it wasn't for Baltimore or the national anthem for that matter. Your social security? Thats run out of Baltimore as is NASA's STScI. You like Mercedes cars or sugar? Guess what port they usually comes through... It has, was and still is objectively nationally important because at the end of the day, it's ~3 million MSA with a highly diverse economy that also happens to be an internationally relevant point of trade.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-11-2024 at 12:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 11:39 AM

347 posts, read 127,701 times
Baltimore is definitely top 20 influencially.
The top 7 or so cities are widely agreed upon, but 8- 20 are toss ups.
As I mentioned earlier Baltimore is more influential than it's size might suggest so some of those cities ahead of Boston in population doesn't necessarily mean they are more influential.

As far as whether top 20 is still influential in a country? I say heck yeah if the country is as large and economically important as the US or China. Someone in the US may not be familiar with all of the top 20 cities in China and some in China may not be familiar with all of the top 20 in the US, but each top 20 list is still influential in their own way.

I see the US and China like I see the European Union. The top 20 US cities is comparable to the top 20 European cities. Baltimore may only be top 20 in the US but may be top 3 in powerful countries like France or even Britain.
The US economic output is comparable to all of Europe including Russia that alone spans 11 time zones. the US economy is several times greater than the entire South American or African continent.

Germany is another good example of notoriety and influence don't line up. I was shocked to find out the Berlin area was the 6th largest economic area in Germany, falling far below much lesser known areas such as Hesse, Bavaria and North Rhine. Not very many people talk about Dusseldorf or Cologne but they are extremely important and influencial cities.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:28 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Definity neither.

Heck, it's not really that influential in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast. Washington DC overshadows it big time. Johns Hopkins is vertically the only thing in the city that has a significant impact/influence on the country.

Now I will say that Baltimore is a very underrated city! I think that it has a unique charm and a lot of potential. That is if they could handle their huge crime and corruption issues.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Baltimore used to be one of the most important cities in the country, but those days are long gone. Don't feel bad, this fate has befallen many a city over the years. Charleston, SC was once one of the preeminent cities on the continent and now it's just a regional player. Obviously, Baltimore hasn't fallen that low, but it's the redheaded step-child of Bos-Wash.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Baltimore is neither nationally or internationally relevant.
I wouldn't go quite as far as to say not relevant, but it's not what I would call influential either. I have been there (long ago) but you never hear anything about Baltimore here on the west coast other than the sports teams.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:54 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Bmore is a cool town. Although I'm biased as I've had family and friends there basically my entire life and have been spending time down there regularly since the 80's.

Crab Cakes, Fells Point, Hopkins, Inner Harbor, Camden Yards, Edgar Allen Poe and Francis Scott Key. Lots of American history in and around the city.

One of the shames of Social media/Internet is people mostly focus and are drawn to the sensational/negative stuff.

Despite all the negativity people may hear who don't know Baltimore, it's a cool, interesting city.

It's a national city with a lot of character.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:02 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
I voted for option 2, Baltimore is largely limited to National influence.

I do not mean this in a bad way but Baltimore is overshadowed by its location, right square next to Washington DC and not far from Philadelphia and even New York City.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:09 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
The national anthem lyrics was written there at Fort Mc Henry, and John Hopkins is rated as one of the top teaching and research hospital in the world. And if you are an NFL fan, you can't talk about the season without mentioning the Baltimore Ravens and the good season they are having but, it's mostly a national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore