Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 07:07 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the Mayor's performance thus far? Pros and Cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 01:47 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
I had high hopes for Mayor Scott. I was impressed with this young man running for mayor. I understand that the mayor cannot change a city on his own and I don't fault him for this. However, he is now just like the rest of the Baltimore politicians. He is sometimes rude, he won't answer questions and when one of the tough issues in the city is addressed (like Mosby) he often will respond with "not my problem, I have other things to worry about."

Old 01-11-2022, 10:23 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
What are your thoughts on the Mayor's performance thus far? Pros and Cons?
My opinion is that he is one of the worst mayors that Baltimore has ever had. But there have been so many rotten mayors, it is hard to say which one is the worst. What is your view?

Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
I too had high hopes for Mayor Scott.. and though the jury is still out ...the polling of said jury doesnt look good if things continue as they are. Obviously the Big Three continue to be a problem City Governance, Crime, and Schools. All three are lacking at the moment. He doesnt seem to have a clear position on anything, have any bonified initiatives, other offering words of outrage or promises of change. He appears to be afraid of Council President Mosby and doesnt want to stand up to him. Other than the redevelopment of Pimlico, which was underway before he took office along with some of the other development in Park Heights. He hasnt done anything for neighborhood development. That could change if he resurrects the $1 house program which he referenced as something he wants to pursue but only time will tell. He should be able to take a more active role in schools, but that is such a quagmire it would likely hasten his decline into failure.

Baltimore is a really really difficult city to operate and manage which is why we will always get second rate polticos who want to use the office to enrich themselves or as a stepping stone to some other office. This forum used to be a hot bed of discussion, ideas and activity and that has all apparently evaporated along with the hopes and dreams for the City ...

Old 01-12-2022, 07:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Obviously the Big Three continue to be a problem City Governance, Crime, and Schools.
And just what is it that the new Mayor, ANY mayor ftm, can do about these things?

Quote:
...the redevelopment of Pimlico ... the $1 house program
Feel good pig lipstick -- absent the 20 other things needed ALSO occurring.
(things that this Mayor, any mayor, can't implement or coerse into existence on their own)

Old 01-13-2022, 09:10 AM

188 posts, read 153,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
My opinion is that he is one of the worst mayors that Baltimore has ever had. But there have been so many rotten mayors, it is hard to say which one is the worst. What is your view?
That's fine, but . . . in order to "discuss," as the OP suggests, we'll need to know: on what do you base this opinion?

Old 01-13-2022, 10:01 AM

35 posts, read 28,786 times
I can’t stand him. Another rotten mayor. He is very arrogant.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:03 AM

35 posts, read 28,786 times
If he really wants to help, how about helping the homeless and getting involved on a personal level. Small changes to big changes to help the homeless out. As a mayor he needs to get out of his head and fall into the heart space into compassion.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM

51 posts, read 41,694 times
haha lets go brandon

Old 01-13-2022, 02:45 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And just what is it that the new Mayor, ANY mayor ftm, can do about these things?

Feel good pig lipstick -- absent the 20 other things needed ALSO occurring.
(things that this Mayor, any mayor, can't implement or coerse into existence on their own)
If I had the answer.. then I would be Mayor or on the payroll as one of their high power consultants

Taking an active role in City Governance... well he hired a City Administrator who, along with the Mayor himself, should be able to push for changes in City Agencies, if he needs the support of City Council to do it.. well... that is part of being a politician. How the city allocates tax incentives and redevelopment dollars is always in question. TIFs, PILOTs and the like seem to be driven by strictly politics and to developers whose interest are in favored quarters. But if the average resident ask how they can get their street repaved (the process to do so) you are given the run around by agencies (DOT) whose leadership appear to use such routine functions as a tool to curry favor with Council Members as opposed to focusing on where that infrastructure is really needed. I will stop there but there are dozens of other areas such as audits and exploring other areas of efficiency that are lacking...

In terms of Crime need a collective approach with certainly with State, States Atty, Judges, Law Enforcement etc rowing in the same direction along with human and youth services. A strong mayor would have the gravitas to bring these parties together and lead while using this "brain trust" of ideas from both inside and outside City Hall to come up with options that hopefully lead to some solutions...... Same with schools. The Mayor has to be out in front on these areas not sitting in the audience looking around waiting for someone else to take the podium. Is it easy, nope... will it happen overnight... of course not.. but someone has to start somewhere or why else are you in that office?

The redevelopment of Pimlico is already underway.. They are currently working to rotate (MD Stadium Authority) the track and then they will be marketing the outparcels for redevelopment (Baltimore Development Corp) Sinai is also expanding on the fringe. This is actually an example where rowing in the right direction is happening with the State and the City being on the same page. Most of this though was started before Mayor Scott.. but glad that its happening.....

I saw an over on another site several large projects already underway in Park Heights near the track that include new apartments, town homes, and ground floor retail.. Here are a few links .. .some have been started others are underway and a few are still in the planning stages.

https://mdstad.com/redevelopment-pim...ing-facilities

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...northwest.html

http://arisebaltimore.com/

https://www.pennrose.com/apartments/...naissance-row/

https://b7284dfc-0c57-4c5c-95bd-94ae...3330db5b62.pdf

https://planning.baltimorecity.gov/s...09_reduced.pdf

Last edited by Woodlands; 01-13-2022 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore