Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 10:44 PM

17,616 posts, read 6,898,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I might have missed it, but I don't think you replied to anything I said. I'm not defending Scott - I know nothing about him other than he has a really crappy and thankless job. I just don't understand the instinct so many (usually on the political right) have to ding public officials with prior public experience. I can't think of another profession where relevant experience is looked down on as a negative. It's very odd.
It's also very odd how white liberal women like you assume that anyone who disagrees with liberal orthodoxy is the enemy. Maybe you should refocus on the real problem with places like Baltimore, which is policies and politicians you support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 02:47 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Baltimore isn't fixable. All you need to do is read the posts of the people who live there. They are hopeless left wing lunatics who aren't interested in fixing the city. They're interested in their political agenda, which has absolutely nothing to do with quality of life issues and everything to do with wokeism. They hate Republicans more than crime, high property taxes, failing schools, and corruption. That's really amazing since no Republican has had any power in Baltimore for decades.

I am at the stage where I'm glad I'm out of that dump, but disgusted I wasted 20 years of my life trying to improve a place that isn't salvageable.
My brother lives in your area, Pembroke Pines to be exact. Both him and his long time GF who has a business closer to Miami are consistently complaining to me about the crime down there and want to sell their house and move to the west coast of Florida. They want to stay in that diseased crime ridden state with a worse governor than we have for some reason. I wouldn't move there if you paid me and I've been all over that state many, many times. I'll choose to live here any day. The choice for me is an easy one and I do have that choice right now. My brother needs to stop wasting his time bringing up me moving to Florida but he hasn't in the last several months. Not going to happen.

As far as "failing schools" I blame the environment many children are raised in before the schools itself. The parent (in many cases, no s) had no business having children in the first place. The situation looks hopeless for many citizens and mayor Scott is not going to fix it, nor would any Republican.

I'm glad you are out of this city too...

Old 01-21-2022, 06:23 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This forum used to be a hot bed of discussion, ideas and activity and that has all apparently evaporated
hard to believe this

Old 01-21-2022, 06:34 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
He's alright, the pandemic is both a shield and a cursee. A young relative lightweight needed a clear field to operate with. He doesn't have that.

I get the inertia comments but I mean..Baltimore has so many compounding problems that are worse now than pre-Freddie Gray- he needs a whole term just to warm up to it all.

He's positive, he seems legit, crime hasn't gotten worse, development in East Baltimore is still moving, Lexington Market is still moving, Jury is still out. Gotta wait till the pandemic is 'over' to really know what's up. I think it was smart to hire a city administrator.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:47 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It's also very odd how white liberal women like you assume that anyone who disagrees with liberal orthodoxy is the enemy. Maybe you should refocus on the real problem with places like Baltimore, which is policies and politicians you support.
Err, I can't tell if yelling at me about assumptions while cramming about 15 assumptions into a gibberish rant is meant to be ironic or not.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:12 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
hard to believe this
Sunspot was the forum where all the Baltimore locals engaged each other over numerous topics.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:15 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Interesting conversations regarding potentially limiting the hours of operation for Baltimore's notorious "the block" reducing the hours as a "crime fighting plan" by Mayor Scott and the City Delegation may lead to its demise. A commentor noted that the City purchased the old Baltimore Sun building up along 83 and plans to relocate BPD headquarters there.. which would clear the way for the redevelopment of the current BPD headquarters.. which would explain why there is now interest to do SOMETHING about THE BLOCK. Again, I doubt Mayor Scott used much brain power behind this... I am sure a connected developer with campaign cash... did...

Is it a good thing for Baltimore.. I am sure opinions are mixed but it speaks to how things certainly get done in this town.. Less about leaders having an idea that are in the best interest of the people and pushing them towards some form of fruition but more so.... for sale to the highest bidder/offerer/requestor and they will then convince/push/cajole/ or simply ignore the huddle masses to bring the benefactors' plan forward seems to be how things get done.. I am sure most places have a nice balance of both but here.. not so much

Old 01-24-2022, 05:52 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands
This forum used to be a hot bed of discussion, ideas and activity and that has all apparently evaporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
hard to believe this
What?? There are plenty of hotheads on this forum that will attack you if you don't see things from their point of view. Of course, there used to be a lot more of them here.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:39 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Interesting conversations regarding potentially limiting the hours of operation for Baltimore's notorious "the block" reducing the hours as a "crime fighting plan" by Mayor Scott and the City Delegation may lead to its demise. A commentor noted that the City purchased the old Baltimore Sun building up along 83 and plans to relocate BPD headquarters there.. which would clear the way for the redevelopment of the current BPD headquarters.. which would explain why there is now interest to do SOMETHING about THE BLOCK. Again, I doubt Mayor Scott used much brain power behind this... I am sure a connected developer with campaign cash... did...

Is it a good thing for Baltimore.. I am sure opinions are mixed but it speaks to how things certainly get done in this town.. Less about leaders having an idea that are in the best interest of the people and pushing them towards some form of fruition but more so.... for sale to the highest bidder/offerer/requestor and they will then convince/push/cajole/ or simply ignore the huddle masses to bring the benefactors' plan forward seems to be how things get done.. I am sure most places have a nice balance of both but here.. not so much
It's not Scott's plan; it's a proposed bill in the state legislature. Not sure why trying to curb crime is a bad thing either way, though. The city still owns 500 E. Baltimore St. since BPD HQ still uses the site. Only BPD Central District - not BPD HQ - was involved in the move to the Baltimore Sun building (which the city doesn't own, it leases). Your "connected developer" conspiracy is really poorly researched.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,980 times
It used to be that you had to keep your wits about you once you got below Cold Spring Ln., then Northern Parkway. Now I think it's anywhere inside the Beltway including parts of the county that fall under the "always being mindful of your surroundings" territory.

I don't think Baltimore is as foregone as some people believe, but there are definitely a lot of bad apples congregated in a relatively small geographic area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore