Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM

17 posts, read 40,899 times

Advertisements

Anybody else got one of these?

For those who havent and dont know what it is, ill explain. I got a $400 bill in the mail from the city for them paving an alley behind my house. If the bill isnt paid (which it wont be) a lien will be placed on my home. No notice asking if this is something we felt we needed prior to the paving, no notice providing options on who we felt was the best option to do the work.............just a bill in the mail saying the work had been done. They billed everyone on my block the same.

First off, is this legal if so, how?

I was under the impression that this is why taxes were paid, for sh1t like this.

Last edited by Baltimoreisinthehouse; 04-24-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,896 times
If you have a question about alley repaving, you should call the Baltimore City Department of Transportation Sidewalk and Alley Section at (410) 396-6969.

At $400 it appears you are paying half cost. Laying concrete runs around $5-$9 per square foot.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
If you have a question about alley repaving, you should call the Baltimore City Department of Transportation Sidewalk and Alley Section at (410) 396-6969.

At $400 it appears you are paying half cost. Laying concrete runs around $5-$9 per square foot.
what would i want to talk to them for? They will only attempt to justify this foolishness...........

and as far as it being half price..........I dont care if it was 1 quarter of the price.........the area being paved is not my property and therefore should not be my issue, fool.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
Sounds like your neighbors cooked up an idea to get you out of the neighborhood. I mean, just judging by your personality.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Sounds like your neighbors cooked up an idea to get you out of the neighborhood. I mean, just judging by your personality.
thats what u got from reading that huh?

u dont see the part where it says.........

"They billed everyone on my block the same"

this is the problem with this city.........none of you idiots are able to see the big picture.

You dont see how the city billing the residents like this for work they do on public property is a problem?

Last edited by Baltimoreisinthehouse; 04-24-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Did you know that you can get fined for trash in the alley behind your house?

I guess homeowner's are responsible for the maintenance of the alley too?

This seems too far.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Did you know that you can get fined for trash in the alley behind your house?

I guess homeowner's are responsible for the maintenance of the alley too?

This seems too far.
I didnt know that. But reading that irks me very much. What laws are these fines and fees being assesed under?

I got a fine, under the guise of bulk trash, for having a pair of shoes in my backyard.............

what next, a fine because my room isnt clean?

The real problem is that people are accepting these policies and paying these fines and fees.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I do know that cities do charge for some work done in public areas around a home. I got a bill while in Boston for redoing the sidewalk. However, the alley thing is a new one on me. Could be the neighborhood association wanted it done and didn't inform you?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I do know that cities do charge for some work done in public areas around a home. I got a bill while in Boston for redoing the sidewalk. However, the alley thing is a new one on me. Could be the neighborhood association wanted it done and didn't inform you?
Id have an issue being billed for any part of the sidewalk that isnt part of my property too.

Im going to check into that neighborhood association thing. I have never given them authority to speak on my behalf about anything.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreisinthehouse View Post
I didnt know that. But reading that irks me very much. What laws are these fines and fees being assesed under?
I was told that as a property owner I'm responsible for the portion of the alley behind my house. It seems like bull**** to me because I can't stop people from using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore