Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 06:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I think CS Lewis beat you to the punch there. Have you not read his Space Trilogy?

Loved it (them) as a kid (much more than the Narnia series) and still do, even though I disapproved of the ethos (not to say Propaganda) behind it, but then I disapprove of Tolkien, much as I love LoR, Dennis Wheatley, Leslie Charteris, Conan, Flashman..and most of the rest of the Books...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't know if if this post was made in jest but...

Easter is the day dedicated to the resurrection of Christ and without it there would be no second coming theology. It is the best date to use to mark time relative to this particular issue.

And nobody is asking anybody to "cancel" Easter. This isn't about that. If someone wants to believe Jesus rose from the dead nobody can prove that he didn't. Celebrate away. But the fact of the matter is it is believed by many that he is coming back...and he hasn't.

We have evidence of multiple generations of believers who felt he was coming back in their lifetimes...including the original Christians.

It is my contention that if we had somebody who was 1900 years old still living... they might have given up by now.

In fact (or so far as I can make out) there Was a 2nd -coming theology, and of a promised messiah, in Pharisee theology and traceable back to Daniel's prophecy of God's messiah making it heaven on earth with resurrected spirits as soon as the Maccabean revolt succeeds.

It was Pharisee resurrection -theology linked to the coming of the Messiah that was hi -jacked by Paul for his own cult and which eventually became tranformed into Greco -Roman Christianity.

That's my theory, anyway.

cue..'but the Hasmoneans failed...'

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-06-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
As far as I can work out, fundamentalists don't need Easter to hope for a second coming, Here are some historical hopeful dates, almost none of them to do with Easter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predic...ming_of_Christ

They'd turn up to the opening of a paper bag if they thought Jesus was in there.

And I will be honest, I was raised in the UK.
Don't worry about it...our American Cousins may forgive us for Lexington any century soon.
Quote:
Easter is MASSIVE in the UK.
Aisles and Aisles of chocolate eggs everywhere in every shop and supermarket. Much more celebrated than in the US.
I don't know a single British person that has any expectation of Jesus return at Easter. It's just a memorial type of day with added chocolate and bunnies and tulips.
Maybe it's different in the US but I've never met anyone that has that expectation either, and I've been here 9 years.
I agree. Jesus can come back Any time (it is Not part of the Sell to tell people they have so many months to sin before they can do a timely repent), but it is Also part of the Sell to have a few likely dates to ramp up hysteria from time to time.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:13 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I never realised anybody expected Jesus to return at Easter?

Let's cancel Halloween, the 4th of July, Christmas and every other annual holiday where people find a bit of joy.

Anyway, everybody knows Easter is about eating chocolate.
I've neve heard of that, either.

And yes, Chocolate is the reason!

Old 04-06-2021, 07:15 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Where did it say that Jesus would come back on Easter? He did the first time (hence why we HAVE Easter) but I thought the second coming could be any day?
Exactly, and it's supposed to be When Nobody Expects It, like the Spanish Inquisition.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:36 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In fact (or so far as I can make out) there Was a 2nd -coming theology, and of a promised messiah, in Pharisee theology and traceable back to Daniel's prophecy of God's messiah making it heaven on earth with resurrected spirits as soon as the Maccabean revolt succeeds.
That would be the expected messiah, not a second return. Paul also did not expect a second coming, he only ever says Jesus will come (not return).

Old 04-06-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That would be the expected messiah, not a second return. Paul also did not expect a second coming, he only ever says Jesus will come (not return).
That may be. I think myself that Pharisee Judaism had it that the Messiah would come for the first time (1) and resurrect the dead, but Paul (taking it from the '12') thought that Jesus was the messiah, descended into him (at the baptism) left him on the cross and would return very soon.

I know we have disagreed over that viewpoint, if not about anything else.

(1) aside my idea that the messianic spirit was Davidic, at least.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Where did it say that Jesus would come back on Easter? He did the first time (hence why we HAVE Easter) but I thought the second coming could be any day?
Quote:
I don't know a single British person that has any expectation of Jesus return at Easter. It's just a memorial type of day with added chocolate and bunnies and tulips.
Maybe it's different in the US but I've never met anyone that has that expectation either, and I've been here 9 years.
Once again, I never meant to imply that Jesus was coming back on Easter. Easter is just a marker for the number of years that have passed. Just thought it would be more clever to use it on Easter day than just say it's been 1970 years and Jesus hasn't come back. Sorry for the confusion.

The significance of Easter to the second coming is that if he didn't resurrect and fly away to heaven...he wouldn't be in a position to come back.

But whatever, the point of this thread is whether second coming theology will perpetuate.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:32 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
1970’ish easters have come and gone

Hope the believing dead aren’t suffering from that locked in syndrome.

That first xian has got to be a little upset if so.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

New International Version
Believers Who Have Died

13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed(A) about those who sleep in death,(B) so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.(C) 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again,(D) and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.(E) 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord,(F) will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.(G) 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven,(H) with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel(I) and with the trumpet call of God,(J) and the dead in Christ will rise first.(K) 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left(L) will be caught up together with them in the clouds(M) to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord(N) forever. 18 Therefore encourage one another(O) with these words.

I’m sure this means something completely different then what it actually says.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
I have mentioned many times here my disdain for Easter. Usually, I work Easter weekend and make extra $$ but since I am now semi-retired, I decided not to offer my services this past weekend. (As in, I did not want to)
SO instead, I signed up online for the American Atheists Convention and spent the weekend on the computer in chat rooms, panel groups, and meeting other fine atheists from the world over. I will plan to attend the convention in person next year. (Because I want to)
I admire the work the people were doing, more for a community than I can or have done so far, but the inspiration to be more involved in community outreach programs which are Humanist based was what I needed. It is not about sending a check in or dropping off food at the food drive. Throwing money at a problem is often not the solution. Going out and helping box up the food, deliver it to families, handing out clothing items, THOSE are the things I need to get to doing more.

THAT was a good use of the Easter Weekend.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:19 PM

That sounds admirable use of an Easter more than chanting a doleful dirge or two and going home feeling justified, until a refill is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism