Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:08 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Only to give people something to Give Up for Lent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I can agree that time doesn't fix dumb. By saying extinction sounds as if you have nothing to look forward _______
Only to those who see no value in this life, only in one they believe they are going to get after they die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I never realised anybody expected Jesus to return at Easter?

Let's cancel Halloween, the 4th of July, Christmas and every other annual holiday where people find a bit of joy.

Anyway, everybody knows Easter is about eating chocolate.
He does return at Easter...as a bunny...that gets adopted by a little kid...who soon moves on to other interests...and the bunny dies from neglect.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:41 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
Quote:

Let's cancel Halloween, the 4th of July, Christmas and every other annual holiday where people find a bit of joy.

Isn't every holiday about eating chocolate?

Old 04-05-2021, 09:46 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
As medical science pushes the human longevity to hundreds of years, and I truly think that we are only a few generations from that, if that will break the cycle? Also, once we begin to inhabit other planets, will that maybe turn the light bulb on for some of the believers?

Old 04-05-2021, 11:18 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
As medical science pushes the human longevity to hundreds of years, and I truly think that we are only a few generations from that, if that will break the cycle? Also, once we begin to inhabit other planets, will that maybe turn the light bulb on for some of the believers?
This would be interesting. However, religionists have been able to falsely discredit or spin every other scientific discovery to fit their narrative in some fashion.

However I have a ready made answer for the alien question that Christians might want to adopt.

Rule of thumb should be...

There was a Garden of Eden on every inhabited planet

If we find aliens and they happen to be naked...they didn't eat the apple. If they are wearing clothes...they did.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:28 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:

I don't know if if this post was made in jest but...

Easter is the day dedicated to the resurrection of Christ and without it there would be no second coming theology. It is the best date to use to mark time relative to this particular issue.

And nobody is asking anybody to "cancel" Easter. This isn't about that. If someone wants to believe Jesus rose from the dead nobody can prove that he didn't. Celebrate away. But the fact of the matter is it is believed by many that he is coming back...and he hasn't.

We have evidence of multiple generations of believers who felt he was coming back in their lifetimes...including the original Christians.

It is my contention that if we had somebody who was 1900 years old still living... they might have given up by now.

Old 04-05-2021, 12:38 PM

903 posts, read 582,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This would be interesting. However, religionists have been able to falsely discredit or spin every other scientific discovery to fit their narrative in some fashion.

However I have a ready made answer for the alien question that Christians might want to adopt.

Rule of thumb should be...

There was a Garden of Eden on every inhabited planet

If we find aliens and they happen to be naked...they didn't eat the apple. If they are wearing clothes...they did.

I think CS Lewis beat you to the punch there. Have you not read his Space Trilogy?

Old 04-05-2021, 03:38 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't know if if this post was made in jest but...

Easter is the day dedicated to the resurrection of Christ and without it there would be no second coming theology. It is the best date to use to mark time relative to this particular issue.

And nobody is asking anybody to "cancel" Easter. This isn't about that. If someone wants to believe Jesus rose from the dead nobody can prove that he didn't. Celebrate away. But the fact of the matter is it is believed by many that he is coming back...and he hasn't.

We have evidence of multiple generations of believers who felt he was coming back in their lifetimes...including the original Christians.

It is my contention that if we had somebody who was 1900 years old still living... they might have given up by now.

As far as I can work out, fundamentalists don't need Easter to hope for a second coming, Here are some historical hopeful dates, almost none of them to do with Easter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predic...ming_of_Christ

They'd turn up to the opening of a paper bag if they thought Jesus was in there.

And I will be honest, I was raised in the UK.
Easter is MASSIVE in the UK.
Aisles and Aisles of chocolate eggs everywhere in every shop and supermarket. Much more celebrated than in the US.
I don't know a single British person that has any expectation of Jesus return at Easter. It's just a memorial type of day with added chocolate and bunnies and tulips.
Maybe it's different in the US but I've never met anyone that has that expectation either, and I've been here 9 years.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:50 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He does return at Easter...as a bunny...that gets adopted by a little kid...who soon moves on to other interests...and the bunny dies from neglect.
Just make that a lesson in self sacrifice and that's a cult that would beat the little red dragon, which would be fine for a kids' TV program, but hardly cult- material. Clips of neglected toys from 'Toy Story' could be shown as prophetic evidence, and exploitation of Guilt should get the bum,s on seats and the wallets unzipped with remarkable facility. The final purpose of a cut (collecting a harem) would come later..and there..the Bunny meme would provide one having to convince the dupes that Deo Vult it.
Quote:
Isn't every holiday about eating chocolate?
Life is about eating chocolate. Ready made part of the bunny -cult, and even has a political dimension ready to inflame bias when the anti -chocolateers go Woke in declaring that Chocolate is exploitative, almost certainly racist, and with a bit of imaginative wangling, sexist too. Form -the ideological battle -lines, and start a massive donation -rally.
Quote:
Nothing will turn on the light for the Believers, all the time they refuse to plug in. Just providing a new power -socket won't do it.

The way Faith works is that there is no evidence so undeniable and compelling that it can't be ignored.

The trick is the atheist koan. You get the idea into a reply so short, it slips through the cracks in the cranial lead -plating before Denial -mode can be engaged. That works where a page of detailed and sound exposition will just be dismissed.

This is an important lesson for atheist apologists to learn. I should know, I have never learned it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-06-2021 at 06:04 AM..

Old 04-06-2021, 05:57 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
Where did it say that Jesus would come back on Easter? He did the first time (hence why we HAVE Easter) but I thought the second coming could be any day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism