Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM

411 posts, read 961,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
What do you want on your tombstone?

Imma a well read, but dead, Dumbnut

,,,but the book said,

Momma's Mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM

94 posts, read 266,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
"desalit"?

Gawd, it's getting worse and worse.
I just got it. It's supposed to be "desolate"????

Sheesh. I had no idea what he was driving at. I was thinking "desalted" or something. Sometimes being literate is not an advantage.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
Come on! He's finding himself LOL

Survivorman

Man vs Wild

What else do we have on the roll call? American Idol?

This is the stuff of......good grief give me another drink.

Please don't come to Alaska with your current plan. IT's just another really bad movie plot in disguise.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Seriously Lone Traveler, your DZ is not in a hospitable area even during the summer... much less the beginning of winter. It gets extremely cold, and the days are already starting the shorten. This is also a pretty windy area that time of the year, so it's likely you're not even going to touch your DZ, much less be able to find your way back to it. Dont' forget that 'chuting into a forest is extremely dangerous... we've got pretty tall, spindly pine trees and they skewer parachuters all the time (I should know, my exhusband used to jump with the 101st Airborne division).

And I wouldn't dismiss those licenses! You're right in/next to a National Park so the Fish and Wildlife guys will be all over your butts the minute you light a fire... trust me, you don't even want to get caught poaching in AK!

If you and your mates want to do this trip, wait until June next year and get your USGS land nav maps, licenses, and hire a guide.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce 01 View Post
I just got it. It's supposed to be "desolate"????

Sheesh. I had no idea what he was driving at. I was thinking "desalted" or something. Sometimes being literate is not an advantage.

LOL, I didn't want to admit it was desolate, but then maybe was desalted....

Old 08-12-2008, 05:46 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,102,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
LOL, I didn't want to admit it was desolate, but then maybe was desalted....
I first read it as desalted as well...and still couldn't find any semblance of sense in his post.

From disturbing the Amish in Pennsylvania to coming 'into the wild' in Alaska....poor sot, there has to be an easier (and SAFER) area in between to "find yourself".

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 PM

94 posts, read 266,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I first read it as desalted as well...and still couldn't find any semblance of sense in his post.

From disturbing the Amish in Pennsylvania to coming 'into the wild' in Alaska....poor sot, there has to be an easier (and SAFER) area in between to "find yourself".
LMAO.

Between "desalted" and "root 1," it seems western civilization's days are numbered. And that's not even mentioning what the guy is actually proposing to do.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
I heard the penguins are huge up there. Sometimes 5 to 6 feet tall with big fangs that they stab into your neck.

Big scary penguins!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Haha, this dude is serious. This is a vast area. Not many houses far off the road there. If you are from the lesser 48, you better look into hunting game and get all your hunting/fishing licenses first hand. Hope you make a game plan incase they have to go and search for you. Alaskans generally hate it when tax money is spent on looking for idiots in the wild with big egos thinking they can survive in the wild here.
Actually, the area he has circled is the Lake Louise area, not far from Glennallen, with lots of homes and cabins, even a nice friendly bar. Despite its "green" appearance on the map it is mostly scrubland, with lots of musk keg with alder and black spruce. The good news is that if he is parachuting in to that area, he probably won't get stuck in any trees. The bad news is that he will probably land in a musk keg and never be heard from again.

Why he doesn't save several hundred dollars and simply drive to that area, I'll never know. As far as "remote" sites go, this is definately not a very remote area of Alaska.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 PM

186 posts, read 409,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, the area he has circled is the Lake Louise area, not far from Glennallen, with lots of homes and cabins, even a nice friendly bar. Despite its "green" appearance on the map it is mostly scrubland, with lots of musk keg with alder and black spruce. The good news is that if he is parachuting in to that area, he probably won't get stuck in any trees. The bad news is that he will probably land in a musk keg and never be heard from again.

Why he doesn't save several hundred dollars and simply drive to that area, I'll never know. As far as "remote" sites go, this is definately not a very remote area of Alaska.

well if i were to move my jump to about 100 miles north of the original drop point would i end up in the thick woods i so hope for

me and me mates plan on being miles from anything...i mean we want to be so isolated no one could ever find us and if we wanted we could build our own city

me and me mates are thriving for absolute wilderness, we want to kill a grizzly, catch a fresh salmon and build a legit cabin in these two weeks those are some of the goals

money isnt an issue since im a entrapanuer from NYC i just want to live life and see the fresh air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska