Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 01:51 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But how would I do that? Hire a private investigator? I don't know my son's first or last name. I don't know where they live...even though we exchanged letters, I know very little about them.

You do have a lot of information:

Quote:
I gave up a baby boy for adoption back in 1999. I signed over my parental rights, freeing him to be adopted out.
It tore my heart out. It was a primal thing to me...my failure to my own flesh and blood to provide for him.

His adoption was semi-open. His adoptive mother and I exchanged letters for about 3 years...and I knew my baby's first name, and the first names of his mom and dad. She would send me pictures and tell me his developmental milestones, and his interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 02:09 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
do you get any kind of closure from DNA testing?
From the testing? No. The truth the testing reveals, what that can lead to, is the closure for most.
Does that make sense?

Old 08-17-2023, 02:10 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You do have a lot of information:
OK.

Ann, John and Andrew.

What do I do with that?

Old 08-17-2023, 02:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
This statement is incredibly insensitive.

Just imagine you're an adopted child - who had no choice - reading that statement. I was not my parents' first choice. They settled for me.

Since you don't have experience as an adopter nor an adoptee, how do you know the system isn't broken? How do you know reform is not needed?
It was not my intention and never is my intention to be insensitive or cruel. However I did not force you to read this thread, whose OP title is very clear as to its premise.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:08 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
Reposting this question since it appears you didn't see it, OP.

Quote:
Since you don't have experience as an adopter nor an adoptee, how do you know the system isn't broken? How do you know reform is not needed?

Old 08-18-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Reposting this question since it appears you didn't see it, OP.
I have a work colleague of 37 years that has an adopted son. I went to sleepaway camp with an adoptee. I know other adoptees through work or social connections.

Do people just look for areas "needing" reform so they can stir the pot and disorganize society?

Old 08-18-2023, 09:12 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have a work colleague of 37 years that has an adopted son. I went to sleepaway camp with an adoptee. I know other adoptees through work or social connections.

Do people just look for areas "needing" reform so they can stir the pot and disorganize society?
Red herring. Ignores the point.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Red herring. Ignores the point.
The burden of proof is on those that want "change." The question is whether having the trauma to birth parents or the adoptee busted in on unexpectedly is exceeded by the "benefits" of turning someone's life upside down.

Old 08-18-2023, 11:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The burden of proof is on those that want "change."
No. The burden is on the clerks in the various government registry offices.
They should not be restricted in the performance of their duties by onerous law.
Quote:
The question is whether having the trauma to...
No; it isn't. It's NOT that those questions/issues CAN'T become problematic in some situations.
The question(s) remain about directly affected adults HAVING the right to find the information needed.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. The burden is on the clerks in the various government registry offices.
They should not be restricted in the performance of their duties by onerous law.
Onerous? What about, simply, "no"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No; it isn't. It's NOT that those questions/issues CAN'T become problematic in some situations. The question(s) remain about directly affected adults HAVING the right to find the information needed.
Whose rights, here, trump whose? I suppose, if at the time of the adoption the birth parent indicates consent to be contacted, a "one-way door" is OK. In other words the adoptee would have the right to find the mother, but not the other way around. That being said, I think having such an open adoption is a needlessly bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption