Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 12:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,665 times

Advertisements

Is Tofu Good for You? - NYTimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 07:44 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Can you give a summary of what the article says (don't copy and paste, that's against the rules) for those of us who do not subscribe to the NYT? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:35 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can you give a summary of what the article says (don't copy and paste, that's against the rules) for those of us who do not subscribe to the NYT? Thanks.
Without "copy and paste," here's a free link to the article for your convenience: Is Tofu Good for You?

Old 04-17-2023, 08:45 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Unfortunately, that "article" reads more like an advertisement for the soy industry than a well researched news article. I honestly don't have a feeling one way or the other on the health benefits of soy but for me at least, tofu tastes terrible and has a horrible mouthfeel. As for soy sauce, it's so loaded with sodium to negate any benefit. Soy milk? We've used it but don't use enough milk to matter.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:19 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
Without "copy and paste," here's a free link to the article for your convenience: Is Tofu Good for You?
Thanks! I just bought some tofu yesterday for the first time in a while and have the water pressing out for tonight's dinner, so I was curious.

Good article.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:20 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I will eat tofu in a restaurant, if it is part of a dish, but I am not too fond of cooking it at home.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:50 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I like tofu; it soaks up whatever seasoning or sauce used.

But most or all soybeans in the US are GMO. If that concerns you, you might want to avoid tofu.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about GMO. It can create plants to survive harsh conditions and relieve famine-prone areas.
But it mostly gets used for big corporations to make extra profit, with little concern for potential health risks.
Some smaller farmers have been sued by corporations because pollen from the corporate GMO plants blew in and fertilized their crops. Ugh.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:35 PM

17,298 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Unfortunately, that "article" reads more like an advertisement for the soy industry than a well researched news article. I honestly don't have a feeling one way or the other on the health benefits of soy but for me at least, tofu tastes terrible and has a horrible mouthfeel. As for soy sauce, it's so loaded with sodium to negate any benefit. Soy milk? We've used it but don't use enough milk to matter.
It tastes pretty much however you flavor it. Mouth feel has a wide variety depending on how you prepare it. A silken tofu experience is quite different from a firm tofu that has been pressed, frozen, then fried.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:30 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
From what I understand, tofu is pretty healthy - without getting down into the weeds where the evidence may be thin, it's a lowfat, plant-based protein source. I like it fine as far as palatability, and it takes sauces well and can be stewed or fried. A related food that I don't see so much is tempeh, which is also made from soybeans, but is less processed and has more fiber - which can only be a good thing.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/tempeh-vs-tofu

https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthye...tofu-vs-tempeh

https://www.acouplecooks.com/tempeh-vs-tofu/

Old 04-19-2023, 08:11 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
It's not uncommon for us to eat a container every couple weeks. I genuinely like it, it's inexpensive, low cal and good nutrients.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food