Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 10:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Unfortunately, that "article" reads more like an advertisement for the soy industry than a well researched news article. I honestly don't have a feeling one way or the other on the health benefits of soy but for me at least, tofu tastes terrible and has a horrible mouthfeel. As for soy sauce, it's so loaded with sodium to negate any benefit. Soy milk? We've used it but don't use enough milk to matter.
What about the low sodium soy sauce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 10:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Make your own soft tofu by adding lemon juice or vinegar to soy milk.
And eat it with honey syrup or brown sugar as a dessert.
Dam I will try this, but do you have any proportions for each ingredient?

Old 05-07-2023, 10:36 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,026 times
tofu is a very inexpensive source of protein, I've worked it into rotation in my kitchen.

I like tofu where it's frankly blackened or pan-fried in a sticky sauce - BBQ sauce, or a peanut butter/sriracha, or sesame oil/sprinkle of seeds / ginger / top with green onions works for me.

a giggling cube of plain tofu you pick up with chopsticks, that's pretty gross mouthfeel and no discernable taste to me, like white slime. And I've eaten raw egg yolks/whites in a glass before.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:36 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Extra firm tofu is definitely tastier and preferable in most every recipe. I think soft tofu is only good when it’s blended up, like in a a scramble or tofu ricotta.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:24 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I don't generally venture here, no offense meant to anyone, just not much of interest for me.

A couple of notes, take them as you will.

My wife and I used to make tofu from soybeans back in the 1990s. Prior to that, back in the 1970s, the hamburgers we served at a drive-in theatre were part tofu, and fairly tasty. I've used tofu often in stir fry, and when first fried with a soy sauce and ginger, small cubes can be quite tasty as well.

The article did not even touch on the estrogen-like effects of soy - particularly tofu. IMO, that is slanted reporting and avoiding certain issues.

The feed of broiler chickens purposely has a high soy concentration to make them grow faster and plumper. There are no "artificial hormones" involved BECAUSE soy has similar effects on its own.

Consider the phrase "faster and plumper." Consider the use of soy in processed foods as a go-to. Consider the obesity epidemic related to western diet - but at the same time, consider how the Japanese have used soy for centuries without significant weight issues.

Do I eat tofu? Yes. Do I do so in moderation? Yes. YMMV

Old 05-14-2023, 10:44 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Haven't read the article, but I suspect that tofu, as a protein source, is much healthier for us than animal protein.

Just thinking about all the world populations who eat tofu and are slender .

Those on our "meat & potato" diets here? Not so much.

We eat tofu in our home once in a while. Mostly eat other beans frequently.

Have tried tempeh, too--another soy product. So far, not crazy about it...

Old 07-19-2023, 04:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,747,285 times
There’s a restaurant by me that makes Smokey tofu and it’s delicious. Anyone know how to make it?

Old 07-26-2023, 03:04 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Without reading the article, I think tofu is a good, affordable protein source that's not animal based Tofu soaks up herbs and sauces like a sponge, so can be used in many ways.

Our local Chinese restaurant makes a spicy bean curd dish that we often order. They cook the tofu cubes so they're crispy on the outside and melt-y on the inside. The sauce has a kick to it and the dish features a variety of vegetables.

Tasty.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:43 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't generally venture here, no offense meant to anyone, just not much of interest for me.

A couple of notes, take them as you will.

My wife and I used to make tofu from soybeans back in the 1990s. Prior to that, back in the 1970s, the hamburgers we served at a drive-in theatre were part tofu, and fairly tasty. I've used tofu often in stir fry, and when first fried with a soy sauce and ginger, small cubes can be quite tasty as well.

The article did not even touch on the estrogen-like effects of soy - particularly tofu. IMO, that is slanted reporting and avoiding certain issues.

The feed of broiler chickens purposely has a high soy concentration to make them grow faster and plumper. There are no "artificial hormones" involved BECAUSE soy has similar effects on its own.

Consider the phrase "faster and plumper." Consider the use of soy in processed foods as a go-to. Consider the obesity epidemic related to western diet - but at the same time, consider how the Japanese have used soy for centuries without significant weight issues.

Do I eat tofu? Yes. Do I do so in moderation? Yes. YMMV
This is good food for thought (pun intended). You explained the topic of estrogen-like hormones in tofu better than I ever could. I also eat tofu, in moderation. Perhaps one small package of the firm tofu every 3 or 4 weeks. I avoid tofu imported from China. Some tofu is marked as organic, which may or may not be healthier depending on other added ingredients.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:33 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It doesn't make too much difference what the food is, it is OK as long as it is eaten in moderation.

But, tofu is going to be much healthier than the fake meat burgers, and even those are OK to eat as long as you use them in moderation. I read the ingredients list and I don't want to eat them, but they are popular and no one is dropping dead from eating them.

There are some really nice things that can be made with tofu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food