Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm actually really thinking about the air fryer. Probably wouldn't use it a lot, but was wondering if you could make falafels in it? The falafel balls made out of garbanzo beans? Have you ever tried something like that?

Yeah, my tacos would destroy your shirt in the car LOL. I eat them with a paper towel bib at my laptop.
You can make falafel in the air fryer. I've not tried it myself but it can be done.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Swiss Müsli recipe

2 cups large steel oats
1tsp cinnamon
1 tsp flax seed
Honey pending how sweet you like it
Roasted almonds as you like
juice from one lemon
Green grapes
1 banana
1 apple of your choice
Blueberries
Peach
Plum
( You can choose your fruit pending on the season)
Mix generously with milk or plain yogurt

I make my Müsli the night before if it is with milk.We love it when the oats are soaked up from the milk.In the morning I just mix it one more time.The aroma of the lemon comes out.
If done with yogurt I add the yogurt an hour before breakfast well mixed.
So does it taste just like oatmeal but maybe chewier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So does it taste just like oatmeal but maybe chewier?

Closer to granola, really.

Bean-and-salsa burritos make a good vegan breakfast.
So does a heaping bowl of mixed fruit salad, or apple-nut salad.
In cold weather, oatmeal with apples, nuts or dried fruit. I always fix mine in boiling fruit juice -- never vile, allergenic cow squeezin's.
Leftover apple-cider beans over rice, chili or soup.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,942 times
Apple cider beans ? You mean you cook them in apple cider ? Apple cider vinegar ?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,323,847 times
This morning it was a small salad.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,323 times
Lately it's been either avocado toast with beans and tomato, or (vegan) oatmeal sprinkled with fresh blueberries, strawberries, diced apple and banana slices. I add agave/maple syrup sometimes but not always, I love it unsweetened as well.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Apple cider beans ? You mean you cook them in apple cider ? Apple cider vinegar ?

Apple cider. With cinnamon, cloves and chili powder.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Closer to granola, really.

Bean-and-salsa burritos make a good vegan breakfast.
So does a heaping bowl of mixed fruit salad, or apple-nut salad.
In cold weather, oatmeal with apples, nuts or dried fruit. I always fix mine in boiling fruit juice -- never vile, allergenic cow squeezin's.
Leftover apple-cider beans over rice, chili or soup.

No - granola is much harder since its cooked. Muesli is chewy in that rolled oats are chewy - but its not cooked and not like granola. Muesli left overnight in a milk - like a birchermuesli - is closer to a cold oatmeal.

Muesli is popular in Europe. In the US our supermarkets have a thousand varieties of nasty hard granola and one muesli.

I make a muesli that I keep in airtight containers - and only add cold milk (of whatever type) when serving:
rolled oats
raisins
dried coconut
organic apricots (non-0sulfured - have a rich taste)
roasted pumpkin seeds
a bit of cane sugar

That's the base - add stone fruits if in season.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:42 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I am a vegetarian since birth, but do not eat eggs. I do take in some dairy products. I don't like raw vegetables except in smoothie along with fruits. My fav breakfast is boiled sweet potatoes sauteed in a teaspoon oil and seasoned with some chili flakes. This also helps me to loose weight because of it's high fiber content. But I do get of eating sweet potatoes daily.

Am looking for some other ideas for breakfast which has least processed items in it, since I am looking on losing weight.
No reason to think in terms of breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Just for example, many Asians eat rice for breakfast.

I eat twice a day, rotating raw or steamed vegetables and boiled grains and legumes, whether it's morning or afternoon meal doesn't make a difference.

Why should it?

Old 11-19-2018, 05:25 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No reason to think in terms of breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Just for example, many Asians eat rice for breakfast.

I eat twice a day, rotating raw or steamed vegetables and boiled grains and legumes, whether it's morning or afternoon meal doesn't make a difference.

Why should it?
My mother ate rice for breakfast growing up during the Depression. Hot rice with sugar and a little milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food