Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 09:04 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

My Current Situation: I'm currently on EDD & get benefit money sporadically (based on how much I worked that week. The reason I applied for EDD was due to a job that let me go (department eliminated) in Aug 2023).

So I certify every 2 wks & of course, one of the questions they ask is if I worked & earned any $ that week. I have a job I usually put down (& then this other one I may work here & there). Both are part time or on call, which is one of the choices on EDD's pull-down menu when it asks the employment status. No week/month is ever really the same regarding the amount of hrs I work them.

My Question Today: I really, really despise one of those jobs & want to quit, so if I do decide to quit it, that means I simply no longer put that down anymore when the EDD question asks what job(s) I worked that week. [/b]It's as simple as that, correct, especially since that wasn't the job I initially applied for EDD about? That's just a job I'm working. Later down the road, they're not going to ask me questions such as what happened w/ that job or anything, right?[b]

Thanks a lot if anyone could please answer! I tried to be as explanatory as I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 08:22 AM

No one happens to know about this situation? I'm sure it happens to someone out there.

To recap...

You're already on EDD, but you work 1 or maybe 2 part-time or on-call jobs while on EDD & you hate at least 1 of the jobs & as much as you may not want to, you quit it.

My question is...since that wasn't the job you applied for EDD about initially & you just simply no longer put that job down (that you had quit) when EDD's biweekly certification question asks what job(s) you worked that week, EDD won't try to find out what happened, why you no longer work that job, etc., which might cause you to not get benefits any longer (or worse...pay back any past benefit $), will they?

(I haven't quit anything yet, I want to know the answer to this first.)

Old 01-06-2024, 09:01 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Why don't you call the State agency in charge and ask them?

Old 01-06-2024, 10:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
No one happens to know about this situation? I'm sure it happens to someone out there.

To recap...

You're already on EDD, but you work 1 or maybe 2 part-time or on-call jobs while on EDD & you hate at least 1 of the jobs & as much as you may not want to, you quit it.

My question is...since that wasn't the job you applied for EDD about initially & you just simply no longer put that job down (that you had quit) when EDD's biweekly certification question asks what job(s) you worked that week, EDD won't try to find out what happened, why you no longer work that job, etc., which might cause you to not get benefits any longer (or worse...pay back any past benefit $), will they?

(I haven't quit anything yet, I want to know the answer to this first.)
Sorry, I don't know. I honestly don't know anyone who applied for unemployment when working other part time jobs.

I would never attempt to get unemployment for a job I quit.

You seem like a nice person. The job market seems wide open. Maybe start fresh this year and get a more stable job in your community where you can meet people and and probably make more money. Then you won't have to worry about being on government programs all the time.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:51 AM

Thanks guys. Yes, main goal is to find another job & hopefully I like it. Unfortunately, that seems to be a rarer & rarer combination to find.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:37 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
My Question Today: I really, really despise one of those jobs & want to quit, so if I do decide to quit it, that means I simply no longer put that down anymore when the EDD question asks what job(s) I worked that week. [/b]It's as simple as that, correct, especially since that wasn't the job I initially applied for EDD about? That's just a job I'm working. Later down the road, they're not going to ask me questions such as what happened w/ that job or anything, right?[b]
It depends on how much wages you were paid along with the consistency of work. If it's just a few dollars for a hour or so worth of work, it's not going to cause any real issues. But if it gets close to or exceeds the offset from time to time, or it's almost every week, they will want to know why you are no longer working that job. Technically, they can inquire about any and all employment listed, just they don't have the resources to follow up on all the minor/temp jobs on may list every so often.

It will be included in any subsequent claim if it falls within your qualifying period. So if you return to work, go past your benefit year and have to file a new claim, that will be part of their inquires.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:30 PM

Thanks a lot. So far, I'm hanging in there w/ the job, so I'll see how things go.

Old 02-09-2024, 10:28 AM

NEW QUESION PLEASE:

So EDD gave me a phone interview yesterday, which was only lasted 5 min. THey just verified my address, SSN, DOB & asked who last employer & when I last work it was. This is different to me as usually a phone interview's done at the start of applying for EDD, not at the very end when my benefit yr ends.

When I asked, they said I could apply again a few days before my benefit year ends on Feb 17th. I assume I am to use the same job that let me go in Aug, even though I have a couple seasonal/part-time jobs I've been working (all along), correct? TIA.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
When I asked, they said I could apply again a few days before my benefit year ends on Feb 17th. I assume I am to use the same job that let me go in Aug, even though I have a couple seasonal/part-time jobs I've been working (all along), correct? TIA.
The second year claim is based on the very last employer. So if it was a seasonal job as the very last employer you worked prior to filing the second year claim, that's the employer you use.

Know that every employer you had any reportable wages in the last 18 months will be contacted, as each one of them are potentially on the hook for a portion of your new claim. However, if they employed you and stopped employing you because there was no work, that's nothing you need to worry about. If you quit any of those jobs or refused new work with them, or was fired for cause, that could seriously impact your second year claim.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:39 AM

Thanks as always Rabrrita!

That, to me is kind of not fair that I didn't get to certify for benefits for a full year since EDD countetd back in Feb 2023 when I applied before from no longer working a previous job (in which I didn't get approved back then). So when I applied again in Aug 2023 from being let go (entire dept eliminated), EDD stil counted back from Feb, so I didn't potentially get money for 6.5 months (mid-Feb through all of Aug 2023).

By the way, if one gets married, how does that change how one applies for EDD (or even EBT aka food stamps)?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 02-11-2024 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment