Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 PM

163 posts, read 208,342 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch it? WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,398,315 times
Default The Keepers on Netflix.....Who killed Sister Cathy??

I've been hearing so much in the last week or so about this docuseries. I had the day off today, and figured I'd dig in. OH MY.....I'm just about done with episode 1, and must say, I'm intrigued!! Although I think much like 'Making A Murderer,' the case may end with people sorting out their personal theories from the evidence, but gather no real conclusion about what really happened. DOWNER. This whole rape/molestation of young students in the Catholic Church being at the center of this story is giving me SPOTLIGHT flashbacks.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Well--the church came out and tried to deny anything was truthful--par for the course

Old 06-01-2017, 03:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Still on episode 4. It has a tendency to put me to sleep. But it is a very interesting crime story.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Still on episode 4. It has a tendency to put me to sleep. But it is a very interesting crime story.
To sleep?! Really?? I find it gripping.....but yes, VERY INTERESTING!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Recently saw all 7 episodes of "The Keepers" on Netflix. Wow. Very compelling, meticulously researched, extremely disturbing, and at times stomach-turning true crime documentary series. I actually found this far better than Netflix's "Making a Murderer" - though that was an excellent doc. as well.

There's is a lot going on here, including an unsolved murder; horrible crimes against children at C. school(s); repressed memories; etc.

Here's my review - note I don't want to put SPOILER Tags in here, because if I did the whole thing would be SPOILER-tagged. So, while I don't give too much away (i.e., no one knows what actually happened anyway), you may not want to read this until you see all 7 episodes:

I have never trusted organized religion in any way, shape, or form since I think many of these people are a bunch of hypocrities who do horrible things - but are just using the church as a "smoke screen" to make themselves look good. And, this doc. reinforced that belief. I.e., the sick scum-bag P.O.S. priest who was committing atrocities at the high school had 0 negative consequences brought against him as a result - he was just shifted around to different schools so he could continue to do the same thing at other places. He should have been arrested & gone to prison for the rest of his life, and maybe even gotten the death penalty for his horrible crimes. But, of course, he wasn't because the CC is so powerful that they control the CJS as well.

Re: the crime itself, I definitely don't believe that Sister Cathy was the victim of a random murder. Based on the evidence presented in the doc., it seems that the priest had 2-3 others kill her, then covered up the crime. I also believe that the child (who was seen as an adult on the doc.) was brought by him to see the sister's dead body, in order to keep the child quiet; she did remember this, but it was a repressed memory.

What we do know:

Sister Cathy was planning to go to the authorities regarding what she knew about what the priest was doing to the girls in the school, but hadn't actually done this yet. And, the priest knew her plans. So, this was ample motive for him to take her out.

That being said, there are also a huge amount of unanswered questions regarding the crime:

1) What was in the letter that Sister Cathy sent to her sister prior to her getting killed?! It's obvious this was part of the cover up, given that the sister gave it to the authorities, and they conveniently "lost" this. Or, it may have just been incompetence that they misplaced the letter. However, I think it's more likely that they did intentionally "lose" it.

Making this even more mysterious, was the letter post-marked after her death?! If so, who sent this?! And, why?!

3) Did Sister Cathy buy a piece of jewelry to give to her sister for her engagement? And, was this lost after the crime occurred?

If so - did did one of the alleged participants in the crime give this piece of jewelry to his then-wife?

4) Who was the mysterious "Skippy"? He was the friend of one of the alleged participants. And, did he dress up as a nun & try to run someone off the road, as she attested happened? If so, why? And, is Skippy still alive?!

5) At this point, only one of the alleged participants in the crime are still alive (that we know about), i.e. the elderly man living in the room with all of the stuffed animals/dolls (weird!!). It appears that he knows more than he's telling. However, if so, what is he hiding?! Did he have anything to do with the crime?!

6) Was Sister Cathy pregnant when she died?! There was a possible pregnancy alluded to in a letter she wrote, but at the same time this wasn't clear - and it was more "implied" than anything else.

And:

What was in the large "pit" on the grounds of the cemetery, that the priest was trying to bury/conceal with a bulldozer? The groundskeeper said there was a lot of incriminating & horrible evidence against the priest in there. However, when the authorities were called in to see this, they removed everything but never charged the priest with a crime. When questioned about this, they stated there was nothing incriminating there. Obviously, they were lying & covering up for the priest. If there was no incriminating evidence there, he wouldn't have tried to cover this up.

Anyway, I hope this crime gets solved beyond the shadow of a doubt. However, it's been 50 years since this happened, and many of the people allegedly involved have passed - or are out of the picture.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Recently saw all 7 episodes of "The Keepers" on Netflix. Wow. Very compelling, meticulously researched, extremely disturbing, and at times stomach-turning true crime documentary series. I actually found this far better than Netflix's "Making a Murderer" - though that was an excellent doc. as well.

There's is a lot going on here, including an unsolved murder; horrible crimes against children at C. school(s); repressed memories; etc.

Here's my review - note I don't want to put SPOILER Tags in here, because if I did the whole thing would be SPOILER-tagged. So, while I don't give too much away (i.e., no one knows what actually happened anyway), you may not want to read this until you see all 7 episodes:

I have never trusted organized religion in any way, shape, or form since I think many of these people are a bunch of hypocrities who do horrible things - but are just using the church as a "smoke screen" to make themselves look good. And, this doc. reinforced that belief. I.e., the sick scum-bag P.O.S. priest who was committing atrocities at the high school had 0 negative consequences brought against him as a result - he was just shifted around to different schools so he could continue to do the same thing at other places. He should have been arrested & gone to prison for the rest of his life, and maybe even gotten the death penalty for his horrible crimes. But, of course, he wasn't because the CC is so powerful that they control the CJS as well.

Re: the crime itself, I definitely don't believe that Sister Cathy was the victim of a random murder. Based on the evidence presented in the doc., it seems that the priest had 2-3 others kill her, then covered up the crime. I also believe that the child (who was seen as an adult on the doc.) was brought by him to see the sister's dead body, in order to keep the child quiet; she did remember this, but it was a repressed memory.

What we do know:

Sister Cathy was planning to go to the authorities regarding what she knew about what the priest was doing to the girls in the school, but hadn't actually done this yet. And, the priest knew her plans. So, this was ample motive for him to take her out.

That being said, there are also a huge amount of unanswered questions regarding the crime:

1) What was in the letter that Sister Cathy sent to her sister prior to her getting killed?! It's obvious this was part of the cover up, given that the sister gave it to the authorities, and they conveniently "lost" this. Or, it may have just been incompetence that they misplaced the letter. However, I think it's more likely that they did intentionally "lose" it.

Making this even more mysterious, was the letter post-marked after her death?! If so, who sent this?! And, why?!

3) Did Sister Cathy buy a piece of jewelry to give to her sister for her engagement? And, was this lost after the crime occurred?

If so - did did one of the alleged participants in the crime give this piece of jewelry to his then-wife?

4) Who was the mysterious "Skippy"? He was the friend of one of the alleged participants. And, did he dress up as a nun & try to run someone off the road, as she attested happened? If so, why? And, is Skippy still alive?!

5) At this point, only one of the alleged participants in the crime are still alive (that we know about), i.e. the elderly man living in the room with all of the stuffed animals/dolls (weird!!). It appears that he knows more than he's telling. However, if so, what is he hiding?! Did he have anything to do with the crime?!

6) Was Sister Cathy pregnant when she died?! There was a possible pregnancy alluded to in a letter she wrote, but at the same time this wasn't clear - and it was more "implied" than anything else.

And:

What was in the large "pit" on the grounds of the cemetery, that the priest was trying to bury/conceal with a bulldozer? The groundskeeper said there was a lot of incriminating & horrible evidence against the priest in there. However, when the authorities were called in to see this, they removed everything but never charged the priest with a crime. When questioned about this, they stated there was nothing incriminating there. Obviously, they were lying & covering up for the priest. If there was no incriminating evidence there, he wouldn't have tried to cover this up.

Anyway, I hope this crime gets solved beyond the shadow of a doubt. However, it's been 50 years since this happened, and many of the people allegedly involved have passed - or are out of the picture.
First off, the CC has been covering up these EXACT type of crimes for decades. It's actually a belief in the higher levels of the system of the CC that having sex with children is a type of "enlightenment," and gives them "vitality" to live longer. Satanic rubbish!! Of course, mere members of different churches have no idea. Secondly, I wouldn't write off churches as a whole; God is real, and there are some wonderful, sincere Christian folks in churches.

I believe Kathy's roommate, Russell, sent that letter. Who else would care? One of the priest sending it wouldn't makes sense, as they'd probably have opened it afraid that there was some incriminating evidence against them contained in it. Because of course, her murder was for sure planned and covered up.

The arrangement for her murder I believe was orchestrated by Maskell; I know this because he knew exactly where to take Jane Doe to show her the body of Sister Cathy to keep her quiet. But I don't believe he physically did it; he got some one else (or several others) to take care of her. Both men that reportedly came home with blood on their shirts (can't recall their names) were definitely a part of the murder plot.

Yes, Sister Cathy bought the necklace; she wasn't attacked until she came out of the shopping center to her car. Also, they found a box on the front passenger floor from some shop where she apparently made another purchase. The wife of the man that gave her what was believe to be the necklace Kathy purchased, said the green stone isn't even her birth month. And knowing him the way she did, thought it odd that he gave it to her at all. How many serial killer cases have we seen where an item is removed from the victim by the perp, and given to a girlfriend/wife/relative?

I found the information about skippy puzzling and bizarre to say the least; and yes, where is he? Wherever he is, I believe he was involved in some way. The elderly man that they interviewed with the room FULL of stuffed animals was part of the crime; he was the second man that came home with blood on his clothing. When they were interviewing him, and the reporter showed him a picture of Sister Cathy, I saw his expression change; almost to a softened guilt. HE KNOWS A LOT, AND IS ALSO GUILTY OF SOMETHING. I believe he and the second man that came home with blood on his shirt were responsible for getting rid of the body, but didn't kill her.

In the letter that Cathy wrote to Koob, who was in love with her and wanted to marry her, she indicated that she has missed her period; that in fact it was 12 days late. That many days would surely have me saying a woman is for sure pregnant, but every woman's body is so different I don't know for sure. As the letter went on, she said "I wan't you inside me; I want to have your children. I love you." That statement tells me that they'd never had sex. So if in fact she did miss her period, and was pregnant, with whom did she have sex?? And did Koob receive that letter prior to Russell calling the guy Koob was with the night Cathy died?

Koob stated that the police pointed to him as a possible suspect, and called him in for questioning. The part about them bringing Cathy's vagina wrapped in newspaper into the interrogation room I found quite bizarre, but with all the lies and cover ups of the police department, I wouldn't put anything past them. I never thought Koob was involved until I found out about the letter to him from Cathy. Koob stated that Russell called the guy Koob was supposedly out with that night (movie and dinner) Cathy was killed, and that he was there when the phone rang. Am I clear that they BOTH went to Cathy's apartment after that phone call, or just Koob's friend? As much as Koob loved Cathy, I can't imagine he wouldn't tag along; especially if Russell indicated on the phone that something was very wrong. If so, was Cathy still alive when they arrived? If she was, then that would mean somebody or somebodies were there, and Russell felt she and Cathy were in danger; or least Cathy. The only other option is that she was already dead.

As I type, I'm now thinking Koob couldn't have gone; it just doesn't make sense. In fact, the police stated that they didn't believe Koob's alibi, because his friend said he drove to Cathy's from a completely different part of town than Koob said they were. Which means one of them are lying. For a minute I wondered if he maybe killed her out of jealously, after she indicated in the letter that her period had been missed; which means she had possibly slept with someone else. But then I dismissed it, because when would he have been able to do it? Clearly before Koob and his friend would've arrived, SOMETHING had to have already happened based on Russell's call, even though we don't know exactly what she said. Many questioned why she didn't call the police.... I believe because either she knew that calling the police was a death sentence for her, or someone from the police department was involved, or both. Then the fact that Koob's lawyer's stepped in and made him untouchable, leaves me unsettled about him. Not to mention that as close as he and Cathy were, he claims that she never said ANYTHING about the abuse that was going on at Kenough??! She struck me as a person of integrity, so it's possible. I don't know...

What was in the pit at the graveyard were boxes and boxes of documents that Maskell had to hide for whatever reason. I was never really clear on what information they contained.

After all the dust settled, the Archdiocese wanted to throw settlements at the victims in the amount of 25K-50K, which I found to be an outright insult. Are they serious??! In the scheme of things, that's gas money. Not to mention blocking the bill to extend the statue of limitations on sexual abuse. But they continue to get away with it because the CC and the government are in bed together; they are the spiritual mafia, and no one, and I mean NO ONE can touch them.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
This is Exhibit A for a strict, rigid separation between church and state. Maskell was far too tight with law enforcement for these girls to have had a chance to accuse him within the statute of limitations.

It is also one reason why I am a solitary eclectic Pagan. I don't have to answer to ANY religious authority figure trying to play God.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:20 AM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
I sat and watched the entire thing from start to finish...

How do people have this degree of control over others?
How does this specie of evil get cultivated by people who enter into
into a place of holiness?

It finished me off for whatever tiny thread of viability that I thought might have remained for the religion.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
On E3---makes me sick to watch
So sad and such dispicable behavior by priests and men they involved directly and the silent involvement to ignore what happened and is still happening
The rntire CC should be charged w/aiding child abuse and supporting a world wide syndicate under RICO statues---
The proof is there if they look but too much power on other sude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime