Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 06:30 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times

Advertisements

Costco is having a $20 off a 15-pack of Omeals (like self-heating MREs geared towards households)

Has anybody ever tried them?

https://www.costco.com/omeals-self-h...100838488.html

$20 manufacturer's savings is valid 2/20/22 through 2/25/22. While supplies last. Just noticed the date, today is last day.

Features:
Self heating meals
Great for camping, hiking, home/car, hurricane preparedness
15pack Assortment Patented heating technology NXH®
Just grab, go, heat and enjoy
High-quality, nutritious, and delicious hot meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 10:21 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
A quick review on the mountain house lasagna, not as good as moms; but definitely a step up from frozen.
My only complaint, not enough of it; would take supplementation for a full meal.
And I'm only a 170lb male.
BTW, I've been told MH will be increasing prices soon; and the chicken fajita bowl is still my favorite.
On that link above, considering Omeals are $15 a pop on Amazon; that's a really good deal!.
They only have a 3 year shelf life though.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 02-26-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-26-2022, 12:54 PM

One time we were camping and as I was adding the boiling water to the lasagna I thought, I bet this would be better if I added a couple of these string cheese snacks to it. It made a huge difference. The extra cheese took it over the top.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
If you plan to purchase more than a 4 month supply for a single person, go buy a Harvest Right freeze dryer instead and make your own.

We bought one three years ago, best prepper investment I've made. We have 55 gallon drums filled with mylar bags packed with home cooked freeze dried foods, snacks, and all kinds of things.

My $2300 machine has produced well over $5000 in freezed dried food.
No thanks. One of our neighbors was tricked into buying one of those. They only make economic sense if one's electricity is at the very bottom of the national average. One of their distributors made some youtube videos on how awful the product is, got threatened to be sued by the company, etc. The whole thing was ugly and it's not a product ready for "prime time".

Buyer beware. Do research.

If I'm wrong, then great, enjoy your machine.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited by terracore; 03-24-2022 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-25-2022, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the review on the machine. I've always wanted a freeze drying machine but I think the technology for the home market has a way to go.

At our electricity rate it would take about $9 to run a cycle. That would be after paying $3500 for the machine and God knows how much to ship it here. One could probably get 2 of the 1 year pallets from MH for around same price.

My biggest gripe is the "warranty":

Full One-Year Warranty only includes the U.S. continental 48 states
Warranty Period: For one year from original ship date.
Exclusion: Oil vacuum pump has 6 months warranty.
Harvest Right will be responsible for: Repair or, at our option, replace any part of this freeze dryer which proves to be defective in workmanship or material.
Consumer will be responsible for: Costs of service calls. Consumer may also be responsible for replacement parts caused by consumer misuse and neglect of product.

If I'm spending that much money on a machine known to be prone to problems, I expect a better warranty. I also don't like that the company sends letters threatening legal action against people who post negative reviews.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:58 PM

Way beyond all that. Freeze dried food isn't just for comfort, it's also a good bridge if one gets sick or injured and needs something easy for awhile. It's also great to barter or travel with. It's one thing to have a ton of livestock, gardens and orchards etc but it's not going to help me much if I need to travel for a few days. But more importantly I like Mountain House so as the expiration dates come up I'll enjoy consuming it.

As far as infected cuts go, my doctor told me to stop using triple antibiotic ointment because there are some nasty bugs here that are resistant to it. He gave an Rx for mupirocin with a generous amount of refills.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:51 AM

There is another recent meds thread with posts about obtaining antibiotics.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:17 PM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murby View Post
Most drugs are really easy to get if they're not opioids.

Pain killers are hard to get.. but antibiotics and other non-addictive type meds are pretty easy.

For antibiotics, you can get the medications for fish..
Most of us already know that, and know enough not to tell what we have, or do not have.

I have had freeze dried food on camping trips, but don't know enough about the subject, in general, to discuss it. That is the only reason I don't post much to this thread. There are other threads to discuss antibiotics and electric rates for solar and wind vs generator vs commercial power. You will see a lot more of me on those threads.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:23 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Has anyone tried Peak meals?, as Mountain House also supplies the the U.S. military; their products have now become scarce.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:18 PM

Maybe it's just a temporary supply chain glitch, but I recently checked the price of some MH products recently purchased and they are hard to find now. #10 cans of ground beef have DOUBLED in the last 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness