Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 07:52 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If they consider it a poor investment (or can’t attract the best talent) relative to reach/popularity, particularly as part of a small, two-team market - it’s a moot point. The A’s are leaving, not the Giants.
Yet somehow they managed to be on parity with the Giants for decades. The Giants literally had one foot out the door to Tampa at one point and were only saved at the last minute by MLB owners not approving the move. Guess you don’t remember those news stories…. Or didn’t even live here at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 08:58 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The Giants literally had one foot out the door to Tampa at one point and were only saved at the last minute by MLB owners not approving the move.
You’re talking about 30+ years ago, lol; it doesn’t sound as though you want to let go (and I empathize). However, it’s not relevant to the thread.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
You’re talking about 30+ years ago, lol; it doesn’t sound as though you want to let go (and I empathize). However, it’s not relevant to the thread.
I'm aware and it is; you stated SF has always dominated locally as well as about a team being a poor investment due to potential market reach implying that's why the A's weren't invested in. Neither of those things are true.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I'm aware and it is; you stated SF has always dominated locally as well as about a team being a poor investment due to potential market reach implying that's why the A's weren't invested in.
I was speaking to generalities re: the cities (and size, poverty, reach, valuation and so on). You’ve taken a small part of my original post out of context (apparently for no other reason than to nonsensically argue that which is already a done deal).

Hence my point I find it odd (or angrily personal on your part), as the thread is speaking to three major sports teams, not just the As (or how things were 30+ years ago).

Old 09-05-2023, 01:14 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’ve been going there since opening day in Reggie Jackson’s rookie year.
I’ve seen lots of good events there and have had great times.
I think the tailgating tradition even started there.
This is a really nice location and it just burns my hide that this place where I had so many great times turned into what it is now.

The Bay Area has millions and millions of people.
This is the best centrally located facility bar none and yet just look at it now .
NY, LA and Chicago are the only metros with two MLB teams.
NY and LA are the only metros with two NFL teams.

It was just too crowded. So the Oakland owners found a place that would fund a new stadium and moved.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:17 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Maybe it worked ok in the 70s/80s, but local revenue differences have dramatically widened in MLB. So have alternative forms of entertainment. Stadium revenue is a big differentiator in the NFL. It just didn't make sense to have two teams in the Bay Area.

Old 09-05-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I was speaking to generalities re: the cities (and size, poverty, reach, valuation and so on). You’ve taken a small part of my original post out of context (apparently for no other reason than to nonsensically argue that which is already a done deal).

Hence my point I find it odd (or angrily personal on your part), as the thread is speaking to three major sports teams, not just the As (or how things were 30+ years ago).
And exactly how was it out of context? You were pretty specific to this market. I guess it doesn't make sense to you because you seem unfamiliar with Bay Area baseball history and unwilling to recognize it when pointed out.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I guess it doesn't make sense to you because you seem unfamiliar with Bay Area baseball history and unwilling to recognize it when pointed out.
Your argument is odd/doesn’t make sense because history relative to what you perceive as the A’s heyday doesn’t have anything to do with the thread, no matter how many times you angrily point it out (or attempt to criticize relative to such).

Old 09-05-2023, 04:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We were in the Bay Area during the great years of Charlie Finley, who was a bit of a nut but liked to win (1971-75) and we went to many games, it was a cheap, but fun date. Now with a deteriorating venue, competition from so many new activities that didn't exist then, baseball has taken a popularity hit. The Giants still have some good teams most years and a beautiful stadium so they continue to draw crowds. The days of support for two bay area teams is over, even if they built a new stadium
I don't think the support would be there with this ownership.

Old 09-05-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Your argument is odd/doesn’t make sense because history relative to what you perceive as the A’s heyday doesn’t have anything to do with the thread, no matter how many times you angrily point it out (or attempt to criticize relative to such).
It does because it's about the viability of two teams here and you made incorrect claims. Nothing I've said is off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland