Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 10:14 AM
JRR

8,188 posts, read 5,705,887 times

Advertisements

It isn't for everyone, but I do some short term stock trading. Doesn't take up much of my time, is fun to me and adds some $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 04:04 PM

8,423 posts, read 4,449,140 times
You can take care of a kid/kids, or run a care home for a senior/seniors (an alternative to a nursing home), but there are licensing requirements, non-trivial qualification requirements for a care home; then need an insurance, preferably form an LLC - in short, run a type of a small business. It is not simple, but if your home is large enough, and you have energy and a somewhat enterprising spirit... Obviously, a mini-nursing home is not just a few hours a day, but taking care of kids could be.

Maybe you can find something you could do on TaskRabbit (I like "wait-in-line" :-):
https://www.taskrabbit.com/services

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

11,205 posts, read 9,830,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
When I retired, I stumbled onto a tremendous need for transportation.

People that don't drive, still need to go shopping, the doctor, run errands, banking.

Yes, these are mostly older folks, but the need remains strong.

Today, I'm taking an octogenarian to CVS for sundries & pharmacy, for instance.

Also, take people to the airport, then return them on the way home.

Check with your local senior center for people in need.
We have some guys that do this in our neighborhood. You do need to check your car insurance policy regarding providing transportation for money (livery service). It may void the policy. You might want to have an umbrella liability policy also when doing this.

The typical cost here for a one-way ride to the airport (a 35-minute one-way drive) is about $65, $85 between 11 pm and 7 am.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

11,205 posts, read 9,830,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Uber
Where we live there is no Uber or Lyft available. I suspect this is true in many areas that aren't in a metro area.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

20,829 posts, read 8,659,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Where we live there is no Uber or Lyft available. I suspect this is true in many areas that aren't in a metro area.
Are there 'normal' taxis?

Old Today, 09:03 AM

10,632 posts, read 12,189,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It isn't for everyone, but I do some short term stock trading. Doesn't take up much of my time, is fun to me and adds some $$.
I have a friend who has been doing that for about four years, and she's making money.

I think I may dabble at it once I retire.

NOT day trading. I mean picking one or two stocks following them, knowing them very well. And just buying and selling those....don't know yet how often.

Don't even know that I will do it. Because then I'd have to set up a brokerage account. And right now, I don't even want to do that.

------

I might be open to a telephone job that is NOT customer service related.

A friend is a virtual personal/small business assistant. Just monitors the owner's email, sets up appointments, sends out bills, invoices, etc.

-----

But then again, I keep forgetting that because I have a pension, any money I make will limit the Roth conversions I can do.....and I REALLY need to do those conversions. So THAT is more important than me picking up pocket money with some side job.

Old Today, 09:29 AM
JRR

8,188 posts, read 5,705,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I have a friend who has been doing that for about four years, and she's making money.

I think I may dabble at it once I retire.

NOT day trading. I mean picking one or two stocks following them, knowing them very well. And just buying and selling those....don't know yet how often.

Don't even know that I will do it. Because then I'd have to set up a brokerage account. And right now, I don't even want to do that.

------

I might be open to a telephone job that is NOT customer service related.

A friend is a virtual personal/small business assistant. Just monitors the owner's email, sets up appointments, sends out bills, invoices, etc.

-----

But then again, I keep forgetting that because I have a pension, any money I make will limit the Roth conversions I can do.....and I REALLY need to do those conversions. So THAT is more important than me picking up pocket money with some side job.
Over the years I've developed a mental list of stocks that I call my ATMs; they tend to at times have downward movements for no obvious reason. So when I see one of those moves I buy some.

Then also first thing every day I look at the stocks that have the largest percentage drop and why they fell. If I think that the market overacted to the news I jump in with the idea of getting in and out rather quickly.

Hardest thing at times is when nothing looks really good to not buy anything and just walk away for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement