Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 02:38 PM

1,024 posts, read 748,170 times

Advertisements

I do insurance inspections part time for residential & commercial. Take pictures of homes and a few notes. Most are 1099 some are w2. Choose your own hours and job locations.

I do about 10-15 hours a week. take off as much time as you want. Inspectors are needed everywhere there are houses. easy and gets me out and about. Can be found on indeed under Insurance Inspectors.

Nope, don't need any building or construction experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2024, 02:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,310,542 times
Quote:
67 cents per mile driven for business use, up 1.5 cents from 2023.
That's good for us "homebrewers". A Homebrew friend does legal and medical courier in rural areas, but at 500 miles / day, he's glad he also gets a salary in addition to mileage. Our costs are $.03-$.05 / mile

Old 05-13-2024, 09:23 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,502,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I do insurance inspections part time for residential & commercial. Take pictures of homes and a few notes. Most are 1099 some are w2. Choose your own hours and job locations.

I do about 10-15 hours a week. take off as much time as you want. Inspectors are needed everywhere there are houses. easy and gets me out and about. Can be found on indeed under Insurance Inspectors.

Nope, don't need any building or construction experience
Probably not so good for the OP but I'm always looking for ideas for part time work, I like to drive around and not be at a computer or work station.

How do you locate these jobs? I love the flexible schedule part the best.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:37 AM

7,270 posts, read 4,648,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That is more than I paid but certainly not as high as many here have posted, unless you have 3 dogs and 5 cats or something. They key of course is to find a trustworthy sitter. All of mine were no longer doing this so I was forced to go to Rover. As I said I was a bit apprehensive but in my only experience so far it was excellent.
I have 2 small dogs. My sitter is retired and spends a lot of time with them plus she lives at my house. Everything is expensive here since our COL skyrocketed. My dogs are extremely important to me so I will stay home before I would trust them with a stranger. I’m glad it worked out well for you. Maybe you can just hire the same person next time.

Old 05-13-2024, 06:28 PM

488 posts, read 656,793 times
I transcribe assessment reports for children under the age of 3 for speech, occupational, and physical therapy. I have worked from home for many years, before it became "the thing." I charge by the gross line and have 4 therapists. It's been up and down as far as work since COVID, but I average $15K a year because that's all I want to do. I am retired and have a life now besides working.

I also transcribed for court reporters back in the prehistoric ages, but court reporters don't use transcriptionists any longer.

If you're looking for serious work from home jobs, check out Rat Race Rebellion - Real Work from Home Jobs Since 1999. They list real work from home jobs, not the scams like the old envelope stuffing gigs.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:26 PM

1,024 posts, read 748,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Probably not so good for the OP but I'm always looking for ideas for part time work, I like to drive around and not be at a computer or work station.

How do you locate these jobs? I love the flexible schedule part the best.
Google, Indeed.

type in insurance inspector and the area you want

Old 05-14-2024, 05:00 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,502,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have 2 small dogs. My sitter is retired and spends a lot of time with them plus she lives at my house. Everything is expensive here since our COL skyrocketed. My dogs are extremely important to me so I will stay home before I would trust them with a stranger. I’m glad it worked out well for you. Maybe you can just hire the same person next time.
Yeah I went through Rover for the first time but I got his number and will work directly with him the next time. I hear you on being safe with your babies.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:21 AM

915 posts, read 674,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I had a neighbor who started doing this to make some extra money, she was retired/homebound. She taught English to kids in China, from elementary age up to teens. The hours were crazy due to the time change, the lessons began around 3am local time. Once she signed up for a lesson 24 hours ahead of time she was locked into it, and there were penalties for a late or missed lesson. We lose power/internet often during the winter, and a few times she told me she had to scramble and find a nearby hotel that had power and good internet, and book a room for the night so she wouldn't miss her lessons. Those days obviously cost her more money than she was earning. (She typically did 2-3 lessons in a row, one hour each)

This would have been around 2020 and she ruefully told me it only paid $20/hour, but it was better than nothing and she enjoyed teaching the young kids.
Yes, some companies are very tough on cancellations. I researched very carefully before I picked a company.
Mine did not penalize for last-minute cancellations. They have tutors on standby to pick them up. Before I retired I did classes before I left for work. So I did 6:30 AM-8AM.
About 3 years ago, China decided they no longer wanted USA-based teachers, many companies closed up. The company that I was working for is still going strong but I chose to focus on the companies in the USA. Except, for the one that pays over $100. But I only work for them in summer when school is out and the hours are better

Working with companies in the USA I have hours open between 7:30 AM-5:00 PM. I know some people go later-depending on your time zone. Again, I work for companies that I can easily cancel when I have appointments or go on vacation.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:23 AM

915 posts, read 674,895 times
As others have said-Rat Race Rebellion is a great site. I have signed up to be a mock juror through a company they recommended.

I also have some 'secret shopper' gigs that I found through them. I don't do many, unless they sound interesting.

Old 05-16-2024, 12:04 AM

20,829 posts, read 8,659,578 times
Lots of good ideas here for me to follow up.

This thread should stay open to help others looking for part time jobs done from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement